Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hertz Accident and Insurance" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Hertz Accident and Insurance" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by pkz
I paid for the LDW though it was added by default to the plan. I also purchased LIS upon that. There were no physical damages for anyone in the other car or in the car which I was driving. The only damage occurred to the other car is a good amount of dent near the trunk because of the rear end collision.

You can have a look at the attached copy of the Hertz receipt for LDW and LIS.

Thanks & Regards,
$13,50 a day for LDW does not sound that discounted to me. Can you make a dummy booking without the discount code? If they then also charge $13,50 for LDW I assume* the CDW should be valid as it was not discounted?

*Disclaimer: just trying to help, not claiming that I know for sure my logic will work
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:04 pm
pkz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gnargel
$13,50 a day for LDW does not sound that discounted to me. Can you make a dummy booking without the discount code? If they then also charge $13,50 for LDW I assume* the CDW should be valid as it was not discounted?

*Disclaimer: just trying to help, not claiming that I know for sure my logic will work
I made a dummy reservation without any coupon codes and for the same type of car. The price of LDW, in this case, is also $13.50. There is no discounted price for the insurance, it is the same.

I've also attached a copy of the dummy reservation insurance charge. I hope it will be valid.

Originally Posted by gnargel

Here are some screenshots and comparisons that I made after reading your post. Please analyze them and help me with the situation.

Thanks & Regards.
Attached Images    

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 31, 2018 at 3:22 am Reason: Merge
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pkz
I made a dummy reservation without any coupon codes and for the same type of car. The price of LDW, in this case, is also $13.50. There is no discounted price for the insurance, it is the same.

I've also attached a copy of the dummy reservation insurance charge. I hope it will be valid.
You have still made a booking using a rate which your were completely ineligible to use and Hertz could , I believe, class the optional items purchase as being invalidated because of this

You really need to contact Hertz and discuss this with it. This is not something that an internet forum will solve

Since you did purchase the LDW , Hertz may accept this even though you used the IBM rate. Using rates such as the IBM private rate is not the same as using an airline discount code
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:58 pm

pkz, do not let anyone steamroll you into admitting you committed any kind of fraud.

In fact, it can be argued that it is Hertz doing something unsavory by planting those discount codes in the Internet. I just found an IBM corporate discount code right on www.hertz.com.

Good luck!
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:07 pm
pkz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TObject
pkz, do not let anyone steamroll you into admitting you committed any kind of fraud.

In fact, it can be argued that it is Hertz doing something unsavory by planting those discount codes in the Internet. I just found an IBM corporate discount code right on www.hertz.com.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for the reply. I'll try my best to get the insurance cover the damages. Hope god helps me.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:37 pm

If there is anything you are unhappy about in the settlement they offer, write a demand letter to the insurance company, listing all the special damages you sustained (whatever you were charged/lost due to the accident).

You should also ask for compensation of general damages, including emotional distress, anxiety, and stress you experienced due to being mistreated by the rental company employee that was handling the accident.

The insurance company would probably ignore the letter, hoping that you just go away; then your next step will be to go to a lawyer, which would end up costing the insurance company more (as the lawyer will tack on his fees to the demands).
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:39 pm

Know your rights

pkz, by all means, be careful and DON'T admit anything or trust anyone until you find out what your rights are.

1) You say you are an international student. Check with the Dean of Students or your student advisor at your school - assuming it's here in the U-S. Explain to them your situation and ask them to find you someone who can provide you with legal advice - and possibly representation.

2) If you are unable to obtain legal advice through your school, please check the local Bar Association's Legal Aid Society. They can probably provide you with someone for a 30-minute consultation for a modest fee.

A number of years ago, I was completely stopped at a red light when a guy who was distracted by his two kids in his car ran into me. I got a call from an insurance claims agent who asked me if there was any way at all that I was at fault. I said no. She said, "even one percent?" Well, I said, only because I was there when the guy ran into me.

What I didn't know was that Maryland (where this happened) has a law that allowed the other guy's company off the hook because I "admitted" I was one percent at fault. My own insurance company picked up the damages, but I had to pay the $250 deductible. Had I known the law, I never would have joked about the one percent liability, and would have saved myself $250.

Don't trust anybody. Get some good legal advice. And good luck.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Basically this guy committed a fraud which may well wind him up in a hopeless financial situation in this country in order to beat Hertz out of approximately $4. Lesson learned?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:15 pm

Cool

Originally Posted by Often1
Basically this guy committed a fraud...
That would need to be proven first.

People search for discount codes on the Internet all the time. The codes ether work or they do not. That is a normal, expected, activity.

And if the rental company thinks it got underpaid $4, it can sue for the $4 separately; as this is not related to the accident.

Last edited by TObject; Jul 26, 2016 at 8:23 pm
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Often1
Basically this guy committed a fraud which may well wind him up in a hopeless financial situation in this country in order to beat Hertz out of approximately $4. Lesson learned?
it was a 2 day rental
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:36 pm

I hope OP makes it out of this predicament. One thing everybody on this thread has ignored is the rude treatment of OP by the Hertz rep. I hate that our world has people like that.

Back to the main issue: it's classic David vs. Goliath. If lawyers don't help, a GoFundMe campaign will defray the bill.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:54 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by pkz
I paid for the LDW though it was added by default to the plan. I also purchased LIS upon that.
You can have a look at the attached copy of the Hertz receipt for LDW and LIS.
Originally Posted by pkz

From the terms and conditions of both products you purchased, they are invalidated if the car was obtained through fraud or misrepresentation. It seems quite clear you misrepresented yourself as an IBM employee by using the IBM discount code.

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...upplement__LIS

Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)
However, if the vehicle is obtained through fraud or you have an accident resulting from use of the car in a manner prohibited by paragraph 5. of the Rental Agreement, LDW is void and you will be responsible for all loss of or damage to the car.

Liability Insurance Supplement (LIS)*
Exclusions
There are some exclusions to this coverage which we feel you should know. Under LIS, in the event of an accident, you will not be protected for third party liability:
If the car or LIS coverage was obtained by fraud or misrepresentation.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:58 pm

Those terms say if the vehicle was obtained by fraud ...

What is obtained by an IBM discount code is a rate for the vehicle.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:28 pm

Ideally your CC insurance will sort it out. If not, you're from out of the country, not like they can wreck your credit report.

I also agree that it was inappropriate for the Hertz agent to yell at you.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Since you are a student, many colleges have an office that may provide free legal advice. I strongly suggest you talk with them before you say anything more to Hertz. It is probably a good idea to talk to a lawyer anyway, even if you have to spend a few hundred dollars for his advice.

I am very glad you purchased both extra insurance add ons. This makes your position much better.

Good luck, and safe travels.

Doc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.