Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prestige Car Changes in Australia

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:43 pm

Programs: QF SG,Velocity WP, HI Diamond, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
maybe it has changed then, but it used to be even the cruddy mercedes had it in Melbourne
Yeah it has, since the C200s used to be the only prestige on fleet hence why they got the toll pass linked up.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:08 pm

thanks again for all the helpful replies, you guys and gals are awesome!

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Instead of renting from Franklin Street ( Melbourne Downtown ) , if you pick up from South Yarra, there is no drop off fee for the airport. Depending on where you are staying, South Yarra may be just as easy to get to

Also, if you plan to use the CityLink and/or Eastlink Toll Roads, the BMW may work out a bit better value since ( unless it has changed recently ) Melbourne includes tolls in the cost of Prestige rentals, so could potentially save you $10 or more a day
thank you for the south yarra suggestion! unfortunately for the days i'm looking at south yarra only offers SUVs and the like which i'd prefer not to have. thank you for presenting another option tho to avoid the drop off fee!

Originally Posted by austgap
Just to clarify only the BMW X5s come with complimentary toll passes.
thank you for the clarification!! calculating how many km's we need for the 2 day rental (phillip island and great ocean road) it might not be too practical to rent the bmw with the additional km charge, as much as i'd love to drive one in oz maybe on a future visit when i'm more in the position to splurge!!
Old Oct 24, 2013, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Location: Work/Melbourne Victoria - Home/McKinney, TX (Dallas)
Programs: AA 7.8 MM EXP, QF P1, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium(Life), Hilton DIA, IHG RA, HZ PLAT
Thumbs down Hertz Australia - BMW Prices Off The Charts

I've been renting monthly for over 5 years now (equal to leasing a car, and I can change vehicles, colours as needed :-); I have been enjoying various models (from G6E's, to Caprices & Aurions (been a couple years now for those..) - and most recently C200's, X5's, X3's and 320i's. Always have 1-2 rentals open for 30 days, sometimes 3 for my partner and I (and our visiting mates from the US).

We currently have an X3, our monthly rate is $1260 (all in) -(about $45/day) - with the AAA Rate. Got a call today from the local office; asking me to bring the car in, as they need to "renew my rental". The rates have now shot up to $3593 (with our Corp Rate (10%) and $$3340 (15%) with the Amex Plat rate. (that's now $119/128 day - vs the previous $45/day).

I placed a phone call to a mate of mine in Melbourne, at Hertz HQ - and was advised there was an "issue with the rates for the BMW's for the past few months", apparently they were being rented "below their cost"... and that a full audit was underway with all BMW contracts - with clients being asked to return their vehicles for a "rate adjustment". ...! My mate says "heads are rolling (or at least "a head") once they finish the investigation.

Anyone else have recent experience with strange BMW rates in Oz?

Seriously strange stuff happening now.

I've been a loyal Hertz renter for quite a few years; but will be looking now at Europecar and their A5's and A6's for the next few months. Treating any customer this way is just wrong, let alone one of their top tier renters, who also happens to be a Platinum.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: QFF NB, Velocity Silver, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred, Thrifty Blue Chip (Oz), Europcar Privilege Exec.
Originally Posted by ExecPlatinum_Lord
I've been renting monthly for over 5 years now (equal to leasing a car, and I can change vehicles, colours as needed :-); I have been enjoying various models (from G6E's, to Caprices & Aurions (been a couple years now for those..) - and most recently C200's, X5's, X3's and 320i's. Always have 1-2 rentals open for 30 days, sometimes 3 for my partner and I (and our visiting mates from the US).

We currently have an X3, our monthly rate is $1260 (all in) -(about $45/day) - with the AAA Rate. Got a call today from the local office; asking me to bring the car in, as they need to "renew my rental". The rates have now shot up to $3593 (with our Corp Rate (10%) and $$3340 (15%) with the Amex Plat rate. (that's now $119/128 day - vs the previous $45/day).

I placed a phone call to a mate of mine in Melbourne, at Hertz HQ - and was advised there was an "issue with the rates for the BMW's for the past few months", apparently they were being rented "below their cost"... and that a full audit was underway with all BMW contracts - with clients being asked to return their vehicles for a "rate adjustment". ...! My mate says "heads are rolling (or at least "a head") once they finish the investigation.

Anyone else have recent experience with strange BMW rates in Oz?

Seriously strange stuff happening now.

I've been a loyal Hertz renter for quite a few years; but will be looking now at Europecar and their A5's and A6's for the next few months. Treating any customer this way is just wrong, let alone one of their top tier renters, who also happens to be a Platinum.
Have noticed this. When BMW's came onto the fleet, I was able to rent 118i's for ~$120 for 4 days! Did so several times. That was the case for a couple of months, then it all changed and the prices doubled/tripled and sometimes quadrupled! I figured they had mistakenly priced them below cost at the start. The same thing happened when they brought Mercs onto the fleet a couple of years ago. Make while the sun shines!

With regard to Europcar, I understand A6's and many other Audis are being removed from the fleet and replaced with Mercs, at least in Melbourne, but I think everywhere. Haven't been able to book A6 for a while. E200 Merc has replaced them. More C200's on fleet than A4's. I actually prefer the C200 anyway. Didn't much like the E200 though. Finally, in my experience, Europcar service, both at their locations and when calling, is terrible, compared to Hertz (or Avis).
Old Oct 25, 2013, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Location: Work/Melbourne Victoria - Home/McKinney, TX (Dallas)
Programs: AA 7.8 MM EXP, QF P1, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium(Life), Hilton DIA, IHG RA, HZ PLAT
In Perth....

Originally Posted by AdMEL
Have noticed this. When BMW's came onto the fleet, I was able to rent 118i's for ~$120 for 4 days! Did so several times. That was the case for a couple of months, then it all changed and the prices doubled/tripled and sometimes quadrupled! I figured they had mistakenly priced them below cost at the start. The same thing happened when they brought Mercs onto the fleet a couple of years ago. Make while the sun shines!

With regard to Europcar, I understand A6's and many other Audis are being removed from the fleet and replaced with Mercs, at least in Melbourne, but I think everywhere. Haven't been able to book A6 for a while. E200 Merc has replaced them. More C200's on fleet than A4's. I actually prefer the C200 anyway. Didn't much like the E200 though. Finally, in my experience, Europcar service, both at their locations and when calling, is terrible, compared to Hertz (or Avis).
Hertz has pretty much returned all C200's back to MB back in Aug/Sep (as soon as the 1 year lease was up); apparently they weren't selling well; and indeed had some great rates in their final months.

Big BMW fans here - a bit spoilt in the US, being able to have His and His 760Li's; yet finding for the same money in Oz, we're looking at 520D's, or Base X5's.

Yes - first world problems indeed (but, I'd rather have these problems than 3rd world problems).

Here in Perth - Europcar has A4's, A5's and A6's - seems to be a nice flock of them at the Airport these past two weekends.'

And almost too funny - today at Perth CBD - there were no less than 6 X3's, 5 320's, and 4 X5's (plus 6 118's) parked in the mini lane next to the wash shed, and in the wash shed. I am betting the "new" corrected rates for the BMW's will see these not getting rented; and in a few months, they'll be on a fire sale - just like the C200's were. They are stupidly pricing themselves out of the market with these BMW's. The 1st round of BMW'ers - didn't even have navigation on the 320's, X3's or X5's (the only models I rented). About 4 months into the 2013; newer models came out, and were only slightly better spec'd (with the BUSINESS Nav only - not the wide screen professional Nav).

If they are calling these "prestige" vehicles -- they aren't that well spec'd out. And as I recall, in the US, all prestige included either the factory Nav, or they included a NeverLost with the rental.

Co worker picked up a new (5km) Holden VF sedan today. Looking forward to test driving it this weekend - and playing with the self park feature!
Old Oct 25, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: QFF NB, Velocity Silver, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred, Thrifty Blue Chip (Oz), Europcar Privilege Exec.
Originally Posted by ExecPlatinum_Lord
Hertz has pretty much returned all C200's back to MB back in Aug/Sep (as soon as the 1 year lease was up); apparently they weren't selling well; and indeed had some great rates in their final months.

Big BMW fans here - a bit spoilt in the US, being able to have His and His 760Li's; yet finding for the same money in Oz, we're looking at 520D's, or Base X5's.

Yes - first world problems indeed (but, I'd rather have these problems than 3rd world problems).

Here in Perth - Europcar has A4's, A5's and A6's - seems to be a nice flock of them at the Airport these past two weekends.'

And almost too funny - today at Perth CBD - there were no less than 6 X3's, 5 320's, and 4 X5's (plus 6 118's) parked in the mini lane next to the wash shed, and in the wash shed. I am betting the "new" corrected rates for the BMW's will see these not getting rented; and in a few months, they'll be on a fire sale - just like the C200's were. They are stupidly pricing themselves out of the market with these BMW's. The 1st round of BMW'ers - didn't even have navigation on the 320's, X3's or X5's (the only models I rented). About 4 months into the 2013; newer models came out, and were only slightly better spec'd (with the BUSINESS Nav only - not the wide screen professional Nav).

If they are calling these "prestige" vehicles -- they aren't that well spec'd out. And as I recall, in the US, all prestige included either the factory Nav, or they included a NeverLost with the rental.

Co worker picked up a new (5km) Holden VF sedan today. Looking forward to test driving it this weekend - and playing with the self park feature!
I prefer BMW's, followed by Mercs, then Audis (prefer driving dynamics over comfort).

Interesting that Hertz have returned their Mercs and Europcar are taking on more Mercs! At least in Melbourne.

A quick random search of Europcar for a month's time shows that Merc E200 available in Melbourne and Audi A6 available in Perth - concurs with what both of us have said.

I agree that Hertz have now priced the BMW's too high.

In Melbourne, I don't think Hertz have yet received any BMW's with the new spec - all the ones I have rented (several 118i's and a 320i, the 320i being the last about 6-8 weeks ago) have been the old spec - annoying that they didn't even have bluetooth audio streaming or iphone integration! I won't be renting any more at the current prices!

I have now rented two VF Commodore SV6's (from Avis) - great car (as was VE, but VF steps it up significantly) and much better spec'd than the BMW's! SV6 is my default rental vehicle, so I think I'll be sticking to them for a while (until the next good deal comes along!).
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:23 am

Booked a X5 in June for 10 days, melbourne tullamarine airport pickup. $1583 with unlimited kms before the extras like child seat, wifi....

Does the x5 have navi as standard? I read the earlier fleet don't but units delivered later were installed with navi, any1 can confirm this?
Old Apr 27, 2014, 3:42 am

Email reply from local office says it's without Navi. Suggested renting gps. I'm thinking of the mobile wifi, what iPhone app or map good for navigating around Melbourne .
Old Apr 27, 2014, 5:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Chillsnkopi
Email reply from local office says it's without Navi. Suggested renting gps. I'm thinking of the mobile wifi, what iPhone app or map good for navigating around Melbourne .
That's really lame - no satnav in an X5! Hertz must have acquired base/entry-level trim models.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:52 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Booked a X5 in June for 10 days, melbourne tullamarine airport pickup. $1583 with unlimited kms before the extras like child seat, wifi....

Does the x5 have navi as standard? I read the earlier fleet don't but units delivered later were installed with navi, any1 can confirm this?

Hopeless reply, and they are wrong! ALL the new X5's have sat nav as standard! The new model came out in Australia in November 2013.

Keep in mind that Hertz still have some of the previous model X5's which are rubbish when compared to the new one! Hertz keeps their prestige vehicles for 12 months or 25,000 kms

Oh and of course they will suggest renting their own Nav product as they make more cash out of this from you.

I would ring the day before and politely request that you get the NEW X5 and not the old model. If you do end up with the old one, you will need nav though!

The Mobile WiFi can be useful and I would use Google Maps on your iPhone

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
That's really lame - no satnav in an X5! Hertz must have acquired base/entry-level trim models.
Not true! I had a new X5 in SYD in the past week and it was the X5 xDrive30d model, which is 2 models up from the base Diesel engine!

At least Hertz didn't get the base Diesel version!

Again, even the base model X5 NOW has factory sat-nav in an attempt to keep up with the Merc Benz GL.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
In addition to my above post, Hertz Australia keeps their BMW fleet for 12 months or 25,000kms

The standard fleet is 18 months or 60,000kms

I have seen quite a few new X3's around Melbourne and Sydney and also a few new X5's

When I do receive an older vehicle it has pretty low km's on it still, which is likely why they are still around. It also means you get unlimited KM's on shorter rentals as well as Hertz don't mind having a few more km's on it.

It's good to see new X3's and X5's in the fleet as it means that they will be staying around!

I would have preferred the ML/GL series from Mercedes but the new X5 is comparable to the GL now.

The X3 is still not that good, with the recent updates which basically gave Bi-Xenon lights as standard and slightly revised front and rear ends! Although it does also have standard sat nav
Old May 4, 2014, 7:18 am

Tks for the heads up AndDee, the Australian office replied me and I asked for one with navi. The rep said not the entire X5 fleet has navi, I asked nicely for one. She replied saying , request had been put up.

Xrossing my fingers lol, I'll update when I get there
Old May 4, 2014, 7:22 am

Does free toll charges still apply for the X5?
Old May 4, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by AndDee
In addition to my above post, Hertz Australia keeps their BMW fleet for 12 months or 25,000kms
If only that were true.

Just had a BMW X3 in PER last weekend that was the "older" model and had 42,000 KM on it.

The car was fine and had no issues, but was definitely not new.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:53 am

They didnt have a X5, and no other alternatives from "prestige" collection. Offered me a RAV4. Bitter experience, even with all the emails, hertz couldnt get it right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.