Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prestige Car Changes in Australia

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2013, 6:33 am

Programs: QFF NB, Velocity Silver, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred, Thrifty Blue Chip (Oz), Europcar Privilege Exec.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It isn't the full list. There are definitely SV6's currently in the fleet as well as G6E and Volkswagen Passat ( which not only is imo a nice car, but also takes diesel ) at least
I was actually told by a staff member when I rented a full size premium a couple of months ago at Melbourne Downtown that they don't have many SV6's anymore - ended up with an XR6, but it was a year old with high km and a rattle in the engine. I completed the survey they sent me saying I prefer younger lower km cars and my preference is for an SV6 - it appears I'm in the minority! Pretty used to that though!
Old May 6, 2013, 6:36 am

Programs: QFF NB, Velocity Silver, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred, Thrifty Blue Chip (Oz), Europcar Privilege Exec.
Originally Posted by austgap
Sorry AdMEL, I may have not been clear with my intro to the new thread. They are what the company is purchasing this year, we will still have our current fleet of Premium Full Size (SV6/XR6/G6E, some locations have Passat.. etc) until they get phased out. However I've heard at least in Brisbane that we won't be taking on any new Commodores or Falcons.
Thanks for the clarification. As per my reply to Dave Noble above, it appears the full size premium cars are limited, old, high km vehicles, which I think you've eluded to before. Doesn't make me want to choose Hertz, especially when they seem to be charging a significant premium of late.
Old May 6, 2013, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AdMEL
Thanks for the clarification. As per my reply to Dave Noble above, it appears the full size premium cars are limited, old, high km vehicles, which I think you've eluded to before. Doesn't make me want to choose Hertz, especially when they seem to be charging a significant premium of late.
The VW Passat I had last week had under 10k on the clock. I haven't seen Hertz charging a significant premium tbh , other than the adding drop fees on one way rentals
Old May 6, 2013, 9:18 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I have seen no new XR6/SV6's in the fleet just Passats...

All the XR6's/SV6's I saw late last year had 30-80,000kms on it

So it appears Hertz will not be having a true full size car, a VA Passat is not a full size car

I have a ton of Camry rentals booked over the next few months and I'll be interested to know what they upgrade me to, if it's a 50,000km+ SV6/XR6 I'll stick with the Camry but in future book a Corolla so I get upgraded into a Camry

At least I'll be spending less $ with Hertz

That being said the prices that Hertz are trying to charge this year and making Europcar look cheap

I can get an A4 with Europcar for the same price as a Camry with Hertz...

You will never guess which one I have started to book....
Old May 10, 2013, 3:05 am

Programs: QF Platinum / LTS, Air NZ Gold Elite, Velocity Silver, OW Emerald, Hertz PC
I do weekly rentals from MEL. This year I've had Passats more than half the time. Any SV6’s or XR6's all have >50k on them and more than 12 months old.

I always book Camry's and Overall I'm fairly happy with getting an upgrade to the Passats.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 11:03 pm

sorry to revive an old thread but i'm trying to book a prestige car and am encountering the 200 km/day limit - has it been changed back from unlimited miles? this is a rental from the melbourne downtown location. would love to rent a bmw but i don't think 200 km/day would work
Old Oct 20, 2013, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by brownie20
sorry to revive an old thread but i'm trying to book a prestige car and am encountering the 200 km/day limit - has it been changed back from unlimited miles? this is a rental from the melbourne downtown location. would love to rent a bmw but i don't think 200 km/day would work
Would you care to provide more info? When? How long for? Which specific BMW?

From memory unlimited km does not apply to all models and it does not apply for rentals over a certain length (possibly 14 days).

Also, are you using a CDP? If so, which one? Some do not provide unlimited km.

Just checked two days in a month's time - X5 shows unlimited km.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 11:16 pm

Checking a BMW 3 series, with no CDP included, it is offering unlimited kilometres ( even on a 1 day rental )
Old Oct 21, 2013, 7:34 am

thank you so much for the quick replies and assistance!

Would you care to provide more info? When? How long for? Which specific BMW?

From memory unlimited km does not apply to all models and it does not apply for rentals over a certain length (possibly 14 days).

Also, are you using a CDP? If so, which one? Some do not provide unlimited km.

Just checked two days in a month's time - X5 shows unlimited km.
i was hoping to rent the 118i for 2 days in december using the amex plat CDP. i just tried looking without any CDP codes but i'm still seeing the 400 mile limit for the 2 days.

Checking a BMW 3 series, with no CDP included, it is offering unlimited kilometres ( even on a 1 day rental )
i just checked the 3 series with no CDP and i still have the 400 mile limit? maybe it's because the rental is relatively cheap - 69.29AUD/day and not a weekend?

thank you both for your help!!
Old Oct 21, 2013, 8:20 am

thank you so much for the quick replies and assistance!

i was hoping to rent the 118i for 2 days in december using the amex plat CDP. i just tried looking without any CDP codes but i'm still seeing the 400 mile limit for the 2 days.

i just checked the 3 series with no CDP and i still have the 400 mile limit? maybe it's because the rental is relatively cheap - 69.29AUD/day and not a weekend?

thank you both for your help!!
Just checked Dec 17 for 2 days without a CDP - 118i shows unlimited km, however the rate is $254! I'm guessing you are not a resident of Australia and whichever country you are a resident of, Hertz gives a cheap rate to, but with limited km! This is very common - Hertz gives Aussies unlimited mile rates on cars in the US they have limited miles for locals.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 1:41 pm

Checking for 10-11 Dec

Using American Express Platinum CDP

With country as US , I am getting $62.40 with 200Km
With country as AU, I am getting $89.63 with unlimited Km

You could try setting country to AU

Note: it is 200 Kilometres a day (125 miles) not 200 miles a day

Last edited by Dave Noble; Oct 21, 2013 at 1:47 pm
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:15 pm

Just checked Dec 17 for 2 days without a CDP - 118i shows unlimited km, however the rate is $254! I'm guessing you are not a resident of Australia and whichever country you are a resident of, Hertz gives a cheap rate to, but with limited km! This is very common - Hertz gives Aussies unlimited mile rates on cars in the US they have limited miles for locals.
thank you for your help!! i think you are absolutely correct - hertz is offering a killer deal for the 118i (something like US$51 all inclusive for a one day rental with the amex plat CDP!) but the caveat is the 200 km restriction too bad we'll be needing the car from phillip island and the great ocean drive which definitely will be more than 400km i guess i'll have to settle for a camry or the like which i'll live with (especially since my last 2 cars before my current bmw were camries )

Checking for 10-11 Dec

Using American Express Platinum CDP

With country as US , I am getting $62.40 with 200Km
With country as AU, I am getting $89.63 with unlimited Km

You could try setting country to AU

Note: it is 200 Kilometres a day (125 miles) not 200 miles a day
thank you! i tried changing the hertz site to australia and my price for the 1 series jumped from ~$110 for 2 days and 400 km to $180 for 2 days and unlimited miles (with the amex plat CDP). suffice it to say i'm too cheap to pay 60% more for the bmw (as much fun as it would be to drive a beemer in oz) thank you also for the reminder on the 200 km (not miles) limit. km's always confuse me

thanks again for the helpful replies, i really appreciate both of your quick and thorough assistance!

edited to add:
weird, if i pick up downtown and drop off at the airport i get charged a drop fee of AUD25 for the regular cars (economy-full), but not for the 118i. i might seriously need to consider renting the 118i!!

Last edited by brownie20; Oct 21, 2013 at 10:27 pm
Old Oct 22, 2013, 1:36 am

edited to add:
weird, if i pick up downtown and drop off at the airport i get charged a drop fee of AUD25 for the regular cars (economy-full), but not for the 118i. i might seriously need to consider renting the 118i!!
Instead of renting from Franklin Street ( Melbourne Downtown ) , if you pick up from South Yarra, there is no drop off fee for the airport. Depending on where you are staying, South Yarra may be just as easy to get to

Also, if you plan to use the CityLink and/or Eastlink Toll Roads, the BMW may work out a bit better value since ( unless it has changed recently ) Melbourne includes tolls in the cost of Prestige rentals, so could potentially save you $10 or more a day
Old Oct 22, 2013, 5:26 am

Programs: QF SG,Velocity WP, HI Diamond, Accor Platinum
Instead of renting from Franklin Street ( Melbourne Downtown ) , if you pick up from South Yarra, there is no drop off fee for the airport. Depending on where you are staying, South Yarra may be just as easy to get to

Also, if you plan to use the CityLink and/or Eastlink Toll Roads, the BMW may work out a bit better value since ( unless it has changed recently ) Melbourne includes tolls in the cost of Prestige rentals, so could potentially save you $10 or more a day
Just to clarify only the BMW X5s come with complimentary toll passes.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by austgap
Just to clarify only the BMW X5s come with complimentary toll passes
maybe it has changed then, but it used to be even the cruddy mercedes had it in Melbourne

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.