Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

The Official "Help me find a good rate with Hertz" CHALLENGE thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AutoSlash
Please follow this format when posting your request:
Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode):
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode):
Pickup Date and Time:
Return Date and Time:
Vehicle Size Preference:
Home Country (if not USA):
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/Amex Plat/Cent etc):
Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise:
More information can be found on the first page of this thread.

Additionally, you can save time by having AutoSlash generate a quote for you up-front by clicking here, or if you've already got a rental booked, just click here to enter your info and AutoSlash will check to see if a lower rate is available.

If you're looking for a specialty vehicle from Hertz (something from the Prestige/Adrenaline/Green Collections), it is helpful if you can specify the four-letter car size code (i.e. ICAR, MVAR, etc.) shown on the Hertz website for the specific vehicle you're looking for.

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS

New members who post any type of link will have their posts flagged for moderation by our spam filters. Unfortunately...
...this includes any links in quoted replies!
You can avoid our spam filters simply by not posting any links or quoting any links in your replies. This restriction applies to just your first two posts, so once you've posted a few times you can link away.

We are happy that this thread generates many new FlyerTalk members, and we hope you will stick around. By learning & sharing our knowledge freely, we all become better travelers. Hopefully some day you will be posting a reply, showing a new guy how to get a good rate.

Welcome to FlyerTalk! We are glad you are here.
Print Wikipost

The Official "Help me find a good rate with Hertz" CHALLENGE thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:47 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bluwater
Thanks in advance:

Pickup Location: STT Airport Location
Dropoff Location : STT Airport Location
Pickup Date and Time: 6/18 @1pm
Return Date and Time: 6/27 @ noon
Vehicle Size Preference: Intermediate or higher
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/etc): AAA, American Airlines,
Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise: $423.00 All In

I need 2 cars - both matching above.
Seeing $383 with Budget right now (on-airport) or $343 with Dollar/Thrifty (shuttle from airport).
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:31 am

Really appreciate any help!
pickup: SLC airport
dropoff: SLC airport
Pickup date and time : 7/8 10am
Return date and time: 7/16 10am
Vehicle - full or higher
Memberships: AAA/Amex Platinum/ Citi prestige thank-you/ Hertz Gold Plus Rewards President's Circle

Have a rate of 262.65 from National for 7/9 - 7/16 full size via Citibank - need 1 extra day?
Old Jun 16, 2016, 11:06 am

Pickup: Oslo, Norway (Oslo Centre - Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel, but any in-city location should be ok)
Dropoff: Gothenburg, Sweden (Gothenburg Railway Station)
Pickup date/time: Sun, Jul 03, 2016 at 10:00 AM
Dropoff date/time: Mon, Jul 04, 2016 at 10:00 AM
Discounts/memberships: AAA, Amex Platinum, any airline, Citi prestige, Hertz President's Circle (for whatever that's worth, lol).
Total: 3612.39 NOK (about 430 USD)
Car size: Midsize, but any with 4 seats is fine

This includes a 2100 NOK drop fee and there's nothing I can seem to do to shake it!
Old Jun 17, 2016, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crimson12
Pickup: Oslo, Norway (Oslo Centre - Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel, but any in-city location should be ok)
Dropoff: Gothenburg, Sweden (Gothenburg Railway Station)
Pickup date/time: Sun, Jul 03, 2016 at 10:00 AM
Dropoff date/time: Mon, Jul 04, 2016 at 10:00 AM
Discounts/memberships: AAA, Amex Platinum, any airline, Citi prestige, Hertz President's Circle (for whatever that's worth, lol).
Total: 3612.39 NOK (about 430 USD)
Car size: Midsize, but any with 4 seats is fine

This includes a 2100 NOK drop fee and there's nothing I can seem to do to shake it!
Seeing about the same price you are. Looks like that's the best deal at this time.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fschapiro
Really appreciate any help!
pickup: SLC airport
dropoff: SLC airport
Pickup date and time : 7/8 10am
Return date and time: 7/16 10am
Vehicle - full or higher
Memberships: AAA/Amex Platinum/ Citi prestige thank-you/ Hertz Gold Plus Rewards President's Circle

Have a rate of 262.65 from National for 7/9 - 7/16 full size via Citibank - need 1 extra day?
That is a very good deal. Not seeing anything even close to that now. You could track it for price drops though as you never know.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:39 pm

Hello, I am looking for the best price for a 42 day rental in Denmark. Here's my info:

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): AAL Aalborg, Denmark
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): same
Pickup Date and Time: July 6th 2016 6pm
Return Date and Time: August 17th 2016 5pm
Vehicle Size Preference: Prefer 4-5 door, decent size trunk for 4 suitcases
Home Country (if not USA):
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/Amex Plat/Cent etc): Delta - Silver Medallion, AmEx - Platinum Delta SkyMiles
Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise: On Hertz - 6447.18 DKK/$982 USD for a Midsize, 4-5 Door, Manual, Air (Group K) IDMR(K) Ford C-Max or similar. On AmEx Travel - around 6000 DK/$900 USD for Compact Car.
I will use AmEx's premium car rental insurance.

I prefer not to use Sixt since their deposit amount is ridiculous and they take forever to refund it.

I'm a U.S. citizen and will be visiting family in Denmark for six weeks. It will mostly be myself, my husband, and our four year old daughter in a carseat, but we'd like to have room for one to two additional passengers and not have them squished. I also overpack, especially for a long trip, so a sizeable trunk for four plus suitcases. I chose the C-Max because my mom has one and it has great gas mileage (I know I might not get one, but fingers crossed).

Thanks so much for any help/advice you can provide!!!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
I was able to reduce your total marginally - by 300 DKK with Delta Airlines CDP 165318.
Renting from a city location, while less convenient, might add up to significant savings for such a long rental. You can split your rental for 1 week from airport, and the rest - from elsewhere in Denmark returning to the airport.

The overall rate you found is quite reasonable, but since Denmark is one of the worst countries on this planet in terms of taxes on cars you will get the poorest options installed for the price paid.
I don't know of your travel plans, but for such a long European trip I would take a train to the nearest German city and get a midsize car that you will actually enjoy
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:12 pm

Thank you, Firstboss. I didn't think the rate was too bad, especially considering it's a high travel season. It's pretty comparable to the other two times I rented a car in Denmark. I was just hoping/wondering if you more experienced travelers would have a trick to maybe getting a 5-10% discount or something. Since one of the main reasons we need/want the car is to get us and our luggage to/from the airport to our accommodations, I kind of need to get it from the airport. I will keep in mind your advice about renting in Germany for our next trip, hopefully one that's involves more road tripping. Sorry, for the newbie question, but did you use that CDP on the Delta Airlines site to reserve a car?
Thanks so much!
Old Jun 24, 2016, 1:26 pm

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): ITO
Pickup Date and Time: 6/29 Noon
Return Date and Time: 6/30 Noon
Vehicle Size Preference: Specialty - Jeep Wrangler or similar
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/Amex Plat/Cent etc): Hertz Gold, USAA, Mastercard, Marriott, ...
Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise: $143.75
Old Jun 24, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
That CDP code for Delta (or other airlines) must be entered on hertz.com website. Below the reservation details click "Enter discount or promo code", then in the CDP field enter 165385
This code also entitles you to get (very few) frequent flyer miles for Delta Airlines, if you enter your frequent flyer number on the last page of the reservation
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Pickup: Burgos or Logrono, Spain
Dropoff: Santiago de Compostela
Pickup date/time: July 6, 2016, 1 PM
Dropoff date/time: July 13, 2016, 1 PM
Discounts/memberships: AAA, Amex Platinum, any airline, Hertz President's Circle, AARP
Total: $400 on Expedia
Car size: Standard preferably since we will be 4 people

Much appreciated !

Last edited by 1k650; Jun 27, 2016 at 2:29 pm
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1k650
Pickup: Burgos or Logrono, Spain
Dropoff: Santiago de Compostela
Pickup date/time: July 6, 2016
Dropoff date/time: July 13, 2016
Discounts/memberships: AAA, Amex Platinum, any airline, Hertz President's Circle
Total: $400 on Expedia
Car size: Standard preferably since we will be 4 people

Much appreciated !
What are the pickup and return times? Which specific locations do you have booked now?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
What are the pickup and return times? Which specific locations do you have booked now?
1 PM. Have not booked any yet.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Burgos to Santiago de Compostela for $347.81 with Hertz

Logrono to Santiago de Compostela for $347.81 with Hertz
Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:21 pm

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): DEN
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): DEN
Pickup Date and Time: 11 Aug 2016 4PM
Return Date and Time: 18 Aug 2016 10:30AM
Vehicle Size Preference: FCAR
Home Country (if not USA): Malaysia
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/Amex Plat/Cent etc): USAA, SQ KrisFlyer
Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise: $395 for ICAR (intention to upgrade via GC later), $478 for FCAR. LDW, SLI inclusive. Underage fee waived due to USAA membership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.