Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

The Official "Help me find a good rate with Hertz" CHALLENGE thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AutoSlash
Please follow this format when posting your request:
Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode):
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode):
Pickup Date and Time:
Return Date and Time:
Vehicle Size Preference:
Home Country (if not USA):
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/Amex Plat/Cent etc):
Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise:
More information can be found on the first page of this thread.

Additionally, you can save time by having AutoSlash generate a quote for you up-front by clicking here, or if you've already got a rental booked, just click here to enter your info and AutoSlash will check to see if a lower rate is available.

If you're looking for a specialty vehicle from Hertz (something from the Prestige/Adrenaline/Green Collections), it is helpful if you can specify the four-letter car size code (i.e. ICAR, MVAR, etc.) shown on the Hertz website for the specific vehicle you're looking for.

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS

New members who post any type of link will have their posts flagged for moderation by our spam filters. Unfortunately...
...this includes any links in quoted replies!
You can avoid our spam filters simply by not posting any links or quoting any links in your replies. This restriction applies to just your first two posts, so once you've posted a few times you can link away.

We are happy that this thread generates many new FlyerTalk members, and we hope you will stick around. By learning & sharing our knowledge freely, we all become better travelers. Hopefully some day you will be posting a reply, showing a new guy how to get a good rate.

Welcome to FlyerTalk! We are glad you are here.
Print Wikipost

The Official "Help me find a good rate with Hertz" CHALLENGE thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: hertz gold #1
hmm im sure others maybe able to advise better

im a gold member and it accepts my english address and cc thats on file

are you gold ? have you tried a english address?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Intercontinental Ambassador, Marriott & HHonors at some-rubbish-middle-tier
i'm gold (but not a frequent user so not familiar) ... if i sign in with my account it forces me with only one type of car, it doesnt even show the challenger - then i removed the "gold service" for US but it gives me a rate of 639USD on the hertz.it

if i dont login you cant put an english address - the only choice for country is Italy
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: hertz gold #1
i'll pm you to see if i can help
Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:09 pm

MCO

Hi, newbie here!

MCO International Airport

Pick up: July 19 at noon

Drop off: July 28 at noon

Car: full size or higher (family of 5 with luggage)

Wife has AAA but won't be driving. We have AmEx card.

Thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Benwar11
Hi, newbie here!

MCO International Airport

Pick up: July 19 at noon

Drop off: July 28 at noon

Car: full size or higher (family of 5 with luggage)

Wife has AAA but won't be driving. We have AmEx card.

Thanks!
AmEx Plat CDP 211762 + PC 192021 = $431.21 all in for a premium (much cheaper than a full size!) or $376.71 prepay with no PC.

MouseSavers CDP 2002500 = $405.15 for a full size

Picking up from the MCO Airport Marriott gives $394.81 for a full size using MouseSavers (not worth it).

Default post-pay rate on a full size is $1095.22. Through Kayak, EZ Rent-a-Car will do $285 all in and Dollar is $364.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 5:14 pm

I thank you in advance for your assistance.

Pickup / Dropoff Location: TUS Airport
Pickup Date and Time: 3/20/2014 @ 9:00pm
Return Date and Time: 3/26/2014 @ 12:30 pm
Vehicle Size Preference: MiniVan
Memberships:AAA, USAA, Delta, Costco, Chase INK, Amex Gold
Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise: Hertz via USAA price of $466 with taxes last week (that i should have booked) when i looked today the lowest i saw was Enterprise via Costco for $510 with taxes.

Cheers!
Dave
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:22 pm

Pickup / Dropoff Location: SFO
Pickup Date and Time: 18th August 2014 @ 1500
Return Date and Time: 11th September 2014 @ 1500
Vehicle Size Preference: Prem Extra Capacity SUV, PFAR
Home Country (if not USA): Ireland
Memberships: Virgin Atlantic
Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise: €1397.78 ($1899.72) prepay, $2098.29 pay at location.

I'm using the Irish site, which always includes LDW and LIS.

It's big enough that I feel like it must be possible to shave something off it...

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Pickup/Drop-off Location: SLC (can drop off at the 1148 South Main Street HLE or the Marriott if it's cheaper)
Pickup Date and Time: 2/16 @ 10am
Return Date and Time: 2/17 @ 10am
Vehicle Size Preference: cheapest
Memberships: USAA, Gold Family (need under-25 age waiver... unless there is something cheaper I suppose)
Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise: Hertz - $33.xx for EXAR w/ USAA CDP and PC# 182092

Desperately hoping to get this closer to $25

-J.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Big-D
I thank you in advance for your assistance.

Pickup / Dropoff Location: TUS Airport
Pickup Date and Time: 3/20/2014 @ 9:00pm
Return Date and Time: 3/26/2014 @ 12:30 pm
Vehicle Size Preference: MiniVan
Memberships:AAA, USAA, Delta, Costco, Chase INK, Amex Gold
Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise: Hertz via USAA price of $466 with taxes last week (that i should have booked) when i looked today the lowest i saw was Enterprise via Costco for $510 with taxes.

Cheers!
Dave
CDP 2002500 gives you a minivan for $529 all in.

USAA 77694 gives a rate of $314.95 for an EXAR (manager's special) or $329.75 for an ICAR. The ICAR in particular should give you a good chance of getting a minivan out of Gold Choice - with EXAR you have a good chance of swapping into one at the lowest possible rate.

I'd book the Enterprise minivan as a backup at 9.30 p.m. and then see if I could get a Hertz minivan out of an ICAR reservation from Gold Choice. If so, I'd cancel Enterprise.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Cymro
AmEx Plat CDP 211762 + PC 192021 = $431.21 all in for a premium (much cheaper than a full size!) or $376.71 prepay with no PC.

MouseSavers CDP 2002500 = $405.15 for a full size

Picking up from the MCO Airport Marriott gives $394.81 for a full size using MouseSavers (not worth it).

Default post-pay rate on a full size is $1095.22. Through Kayak, EZ Rent-a-Car will do $285 all in and Dollar is $364.
Thanks Cymro!

That seems like a pretty decent price for a premium at MCO.

Can I cancel at any time if I book the premium through Hertz?

Should I join the Gold Club before booking this with Hertz or does it matter? I might rent a car every 2 or 3 years if that helps.

Thanks!

Last edited by Benwar11; Feb 12, 2014 at 8:03 pm
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:10 pm

One car every couple of years means that you'll get a free weekend every decade or so at that sort of spend.

Alternatively you can collect frequent flyer miles instead of Hertz points.

Still, if you do join you can use Gold Choice when booking an intermediate car and usually get one of the maybe slightly rattier full sizes or minivans for the same price, and you can bypass the queues (after your first rental). As an Amex platinum member you're automatically entitled to Hertz 5* which might mean slightly better service too.

If you prepay there is a cancellation fee but if you select the pay at location option then it's fully flexible.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:28 pm

One car every couple of years means that you'll get a free weekend every decade or so at that sort of spend.

Alternatively you can collect frequent flyer miles instead of Hertz points.

Still, if you do join you can use Gold Choice when booking an intermediate car and usually get one of the maybe slightly rattier full sizes or minivans for the same price, and you can bypass the queues (after your first rental). As an Amex platinum member you're automatically entitled to Hertz 5* which might mean slightly better service too.

If you prepay there is a cancellation fee but if you select the pay at location option then it's fully flexible.
I hope I didn't mislead you but all I have is the AM EX blue card. Not the platinum.

Is this going to be a problem booking this?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:08 am

Thanks Cymro!

i have made the backup reservation at Enterprise. To be on the safe side i looked up Tucson Airport hertz location and unfortunately it is not a Gold Choice location. So with that being said i don't feel comfortable with relying on a manager special. i still have a month plus to find a lower priced option for my family (BTW traveling with 3 kids ages six and under can be a real pain in the arss).

Any chance on a deals on rental car seats too, they are a fortune at all of the car rental companies, traveling with 3 is a Huge Hastle.

In a few weeks time if you dont mind, i may request your assistance with this again to see what options are available at that later time.

Thanks again, Cheers!
-dave

CDP 2002500 gives you a minivan for $529 all in.

USAA 77694 gives a rate of $314.95 for an EXAR (manager's special) or $329.75 for an ICAR. The ICAR in particular should give you a good chance of getting a minivan out of Gold Choice - with EXAR you have a good chance of swapping into one at the lowest possible rate.

I'd book the Enterprise minivan as a backup at 9.30 p.m. and then see if I could get a Hertz minivan out of an ICAR reservation from Gold Choice. If so, I'd cancel Enterprise.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by grumpier
Pickup / Dropoff Location: SFO
Pickup Date and Time: 18th August 2014 @ 1500
Return Date and Time: 11th September 2014 @ 1500
Vehicle Size Preference: Prem Extra Capacity SUV, PFAR
Home Country (if not USA): Ireland
Memberships: Virgin Atlantic
Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise: €1397.78 ($1899.72) prepay, $2098.29 pay at location.

I'm using the Irish site, which always includes LDW and LIS.

It's big enough that I feel like it must be possible to shave something off it...

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks!
CDP 1040618 + PC 192021 give $1819 pay at location.

Without the PC (just the CDP) it's €1,262 (I get a slightly different base rate, probably due to currency conversion).

Amex Plat would take another €140 off but unless there is a sale, that's as good as it will get I think. Keep an eye out for a sale and don't forget that you can go back and add any discount codes that come to light without cancelling the reservation.

I assume that a seven-passenger standard SUV (a Ford Explorer, roughly the size of a Range Rover is the class example, though you might get something like a Jeep Grand Cherokee) wouldn't be suitable. If so, that would knock around €500 off - maybe it's a statement of the obvious, and do rent what you need/want. This rate seems pretty good and I would book it, knowing then that it could only come down - but you will always pay a premium for this class and the main benefit is, unsurprisingly, lots and lots of space.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:30 am

CDP 1040618 + PC 192021 give $1819 pay at location.

Without the PC (just the CDP) it's €1,262 (I get a slightly different base rate, probably due to currency conversion).

Amex Plat would take another €140 off but unless there is a sale, that's as good as it will get I think. Keep an eye out for a sale and don't forget that you can go back and add any discount codes that come to light without cancelling the reservation.

I assume that a seven-passenger standard SUV (a Ford Explorer, roughly the size of a Range Rover is the class example, though you might get something like a Jeep Grand Cherokee) wouldn't be suitable. If so, that would knock around €500 off - maybe it's a statement of the obvious, and do rent what you need/want. This rate seems pretty good and I would book it, knowing then that it could only come down - but you will always pay a premium for this class and the main benefit is, unsurprisingly, lots and lots of space.
That's a bit better, thanks!

No Amex card here. I think I'll book it and then keep watching for discounts/sales.

The size example is a GMC Yukon XL, which is pretty vast. Big trip though, five people and lots of gear, and the per-person cost is pretty reasonable. I considered fuel consumption too, but it's really not that bad when split.

Thanks for the tips!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.