Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U.H. Warrior Football Team Nationally Ranked!!! [2007 Season]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2007, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Week 6: UH (6-0) remains ranked #16 in the AP Top 25; drops 1 slot to #16 in the USA Today/Coaches poll. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex
Old Oct 14, 2007, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Hawaii now #18 in the BCS standings.

As far as I'm concerned, this is all that matters. Sure, the Harris & Coaches' poll factors each 1/3 into the BCS standing. But the AP poll is worthless, IMHO.

Just 6 more spots to ascend and Hawaii will be in bowling come early 2008.

Bye week now, NMSU next week. Go Warriors!
Old Oct 14, 2007, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slippahs
Hawaii now #18 in the BCS standings.

As far as I'm concerned, this is all that matters. Sure, the Harris & Coaches' poll factors each 1/3 into the BCS standing. But the AP poll is worthless, IMHO.

Just 6 more spots to ascend and Hawaii will be in bowling come early 2008.

Bye week now, NMSU next week. Go Warriors!
Is Hawai'i obligated to represent the WAC vs. the Pac-10 in the Sheraton Hawai'i Bowl, with a winning season, no matter where we finish in the BCS?

My question is, if we finish way up there in the BCS - let's hope so! - will we be invited to the Cotton or Sugar or Rose Bowls, etc., or are we obligated to play in the Sheraton Hawai'i Bowl?

http://www.sheratonhawaiibowl.com/pr/072307.html
Old Oct 14, 2007, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kaukau
Is Hawai'i obligated to represent the WAC vs. the Pac-10 in the Sheraton Hawai'i Bowl, with a winning season, no matter where we finish in the BCS?

My question is, if we finish way up there in the BCS - let's hope so! - will we be invited to the Cotton or Sugar or Rose Bowls, etc., or are we obligated to play in the Sheraton Hawai'i Bowl?

http://www.sheratonhawaiibowl.com/pr/072307.html
There is no obligation on the part of Hawaii to make an appearance in the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl if it has a winning season. The only obligation is that the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl extend an invitation to Hawaii should it have a winning season.

So Hawaii will likely hold out till the second week of December when the final BCS rankings are out and the invites or out, or until they lose once, to accept/reject the Hawaii Bowl invitation.

If Hawaii does go undefeated, the most likely targets right now are the Fiesta and Sugar Bowls. (Sugar Bowl has last pick, but Fiesta Bowl has been interested in the Warriors). If Hawaii can improve their way of play and take care of NMSU, Fresno State, Nevada (on the road), Boise State and Washington, then we can finally start dreaming of Hawaii in the BCS.

But again, this will all be moot if Hawaii cannot go undefeated and earn a 12th place or higher ranking in the BCS, or a 14th place ranking should there be a BCS conference team champion ranked lower in the polls than Hawaii. If you look at the actual BCS numbers, the computers absolutely hate Hawaii (but for some reason, love Southern Florida). Given Hawaii's schedule strength, that is no surprise. So while the computer numbers only count for a 1/3 of the BCS rankings, the Harris and Coaches' polls (i.e., the human voters) count for the other 2/3. Meaning Hawaii will need to win every game to climb from #18 to #12/#14 to impress the human voters and negate the computer numbers. An undefeated season may just do that.

(And an undefeated season may find the SO and I flying to MSY or PHX. )

Last edited by slippahs; Oct 14, 2007 at 6:51 pm
Old Oct 14, 2007, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Just as an aside, ESPN analysts are much better at the football speak than I:
Originally Posted by espn.com
• Unbeaten Hawaii sits at No. 18 in the initial BCS standings. The Warriors need to finish in the top 12 to be guaranteed a spot in one of the BCS bowls. They held steady at No. 16 in the polls this week after an overtime win at San Jose State on Friday. With a schedule that ranks as the weakest in all of major-college football right now, Hawaii is nowhere to be found in the Top 25 of most computer ratings, which is what holds it back a bit in the BCS. If the Warriors are able to run the table, it would require them to beat Boise State along the way, which would finally give them some credibility in the polls and computers. Until that happens, it will be a slow climb up the BCS standings for Hawaii, with attrition (losses by higher-ranked teams) being the only means for ascension.
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/insid...aii%2bwarriors
Old Oct 28, 2007, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

UH Warriors, 8-0, ranked #14 in the BCS!!!!!

Imua!
Old Oct 28, 2007, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

UH Warriors, 8-0, ranked #14 in the BCS!!!!!

Imua!
What makes me so mad about these games is that even with such a great rankings, the people of Oahu don't come out to support the team. Aloha Stadium should be packed for each and every home game.

For Hawaii, it's not every year that the Warriors are ranked in the top 15 in the nation. Such a sad sight to see so many empty seats, especially since our guys go out there and play their hearts out with every game.

Above comment notwithstanding, the Boise State game had less than 1,500 tickets remaining as of Friday. Go out and support the Warriors. These guys have to be watched in person to truly enjoy why they've come 8 and 0.

Last edited by slippahs; Oct 28, 2007 at 11:47 pm Reason: changing Hawaii -> Oahu for fairness
Old Oct 29, 2007, 2:00 am

Programs: Marriott, Hilton
What makes me so mad about these games is that even with such a great rankings, the people of Oahu don't come out to support the team. Aloha Stadium should be packed for each and every home game.

For Hawaii, it's not every year that the Warriors are ranked in the top 15 in the nation. Such a sad sight to see so many empty seats, especially since our guys go out there and play their hearts out with every game.

Above comment notwithstanding, the Boise State game had less than 1,500 tickets remaining as of Friday. Go out and support the Warriors. These guys have to be watched in person to truly enjoy why they've come 8 and 0.
I was there and had a great time. There were many outstanding fans where I sat and some like me were not prepared for the rain.

I was able to talk to a few of the players at the Hilton Waikiki Prince Kuhio. Apparently this is where they stay the night before their home games.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hawaiiansports
I was there and had a great time. There were many outstanding fans where I sat and some like me were not prepared for the rain.

I was able to talk to a few of the players at the Hilton Waikiki Prince Kuhio. Apparently this is where they stay the night before their home games.
They actually stay at a variety of hotels depending on who has availability. I've heard three different locations (this being the third) for three different home games. The Aggies had it nice this week as they were out at Turtle Bay.

We had fun at the game too. The two of us weren't prepared for the rain either, so, in traditional Aloha Stadium fashion, used the Honolulu Advertiser program as hats to keep our heads dry.

See what everyone misses out on? (And congrats to whoever that guy was that won the Vegas trip in the throwing contest regularly held b/w the 3rd and 4th quarters)
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Let it rain!

They actually stay at a variety of hotels depending on who has availability. I've heard three different locations (this being the third) for three different home games. The Aggies had it nice this week as they were out at Turtle Bay.

We had fun at the game too. The two of us weren't prepared for the rain either, so, in traditional Aloha Stadium fashion, used the Honolulu Advertiser program as hats to keep our heads dry.

See what everyone misses out on?
Bah, the rain wasn't so bad! Was a good time. Was in blue Q saturday. We're in south orange for Fresno state on 11/10. See you there?

(And congrats to whoever that guy was that won the Vegas trip in the throwing contest regularly held b/w the 3rd and 4th quarters)
that was MEAN, ah?!
Old Oct 29, 2007, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Colt Brennan named WAC Player Of The Week!!! His 119 TD passes are just two shy of Ty Detmer's all-time NCAA record!!!!!!!

Hanapa'a!!!!!
Old Oct 29, 2007, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

And the Boise State game is officially sold out. Should be a gooooood one!
Old Oct 30, 2007, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Looks like Fred Lewis of the Advertiser shares the same sentiment:

Now, we await another comeback, that of the Warrior fan.

The occasional one. The marginal one. And the just plain curious ones who have been long absent.

The kind and numbers it takes to sell out Aloha Stadium, which has been a rarity where Western Athletic Conference games are concerned.

In addition to all the records it produced, Saturday's 50-13 victory over New Mexico State was notable for the fact it was the largest turnout (38,675) for a WAC opponent in nearly four years. Not since 41,295 found their way to Halawa for a game against Tulsa (Tulsa?) early in 2004, have more fans been in attendance for a conference home game.

Amazing, really, considering Boise State and Fresno State have been here in the interim. More headshaking is that it is the only WAC game here since 2001 that has attracted in excess of 40,000. There hasn't been a sellout for a WAC opponent in ages, the Mesozoic, it sometimes seems. But actually since Brigham Young in 1992, UH's 11-2 Holiday Bowl Championship season.
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...plate=UHsports

There are only so many tickets left for Fresno State and Washington State. Go out and support Colt and the Warriors!
Old Nov 4, 2007, 1:41 am
Original Poster

The Road To Respect Starts Next Saturday!

Fresno St; then at Nevada; Boise St; then Washington. All games will be on ESPN for all the country to see!!!!!
Old Nov 4, 2007, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Fresno St; then at Nevada; Boise St; then Washington. All games will be on ESPN for all the country to see!!!!!
What a tough road coming up. But I have faith in our Warriors. We now have a healthy Colt Brennan. Let's seem them get to PHX or MSY! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.