Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

transportation advice

transportation advice

Old Jan 30, 06, 4:20 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Wisconsin
Programs: Delta, UA, SPG
Posts: 436
transportation advice

Tired of arguing with the hubby about how to handle this - so am looking for advice.

Landing at LIH - staying at Sheraton Kauai 3 nights then moving to condo up at Princeville area.

Need to transport 2 sets of clubs, suitcases and 3 people.

Trip from airport to hotel - trip from hotel to condo - trip from condo to airport involved

Hubby wants a convertible. Obviousily convertible won't accomodate this load.

I have thought of shipping clubs to Condo for storage, shuttling to hotel then getting car (doesn't help in move to condo) and just plain forget the convertible.

Any other thoughts on how to make this happen?
Thanks
ME1st is offline  
Old Jan 30, 06, 7:34 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: NJ
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Posts: 45,711
A convertible holds almost no luggage. No matter which one you get. We have to take the top down to get a suitcase into the backseat because the trunk, if you're lucky, will hold only one - and that's if you get the Crysler convertible. Forget about putting anything into a Mustang trunk.

To make your moves easiest it may be best to rent either a luxury car with a big trunk or an SUV. Because you're moving around a bit, the extra cost involved for the larger cars would offset the shuttle/cab costs.
Mary2e is offline  
Old Jan 30, 06, 10:05 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: LAX/TPE
Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Posts: 36,186
I found a delivery service:

Universal Delivery Service
3081 Peleke St Ste 5
Lihue, HI 96766-1459
(808) 245-9974

Perhaps you can give them a call and find out what they would charge to move the luggage and clubs around the island for you. A convertible is a must-have for me when in Hawai'i, so I would hate to give it up, even if I had spend more to hire a service to move things around.
bocastephen is offline  
Old Jan 30, 06, 11:31 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,681
Rent something reasonable and forget it (SUV or whatever). Delivery service is too expensive (you're talking about a 90 minute drive). At most times, convertible isn't practical in Kauai, due to rain (and it has been very rainy lately). It is funny watching the tourists stop dangerously on the highway to put the tops up and down. FYI there are almost no convertibles on Kauai other than tourists.
jtkauai is offline  
Old Jan 30, 06, 11:36 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: NJ
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Posts: 45,711
BTW - to add to JTKauai's post.... I was talked out of a convertible by almost every regular poster on this board for my first trip there. I normally love having one in Hawaii and was really grateful they talked me out of it. They saved us the trouble & a decent sum of money.

Too many sporadic "blessings" to keep the top down for any length of time. I'll stick to convertibles on the other islands, but in Kauai I'll stick to a regular car.
Mary2e is offline  
Old Jan 31, 06, 5:41 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Wisconsin
Programs: Delta, UA, SPG
Posts: 436
Thanks for the suggestions!

To exhaust the possibilities (persistent hubby ) I will call the delivery service and check it out.


Mary2e - your signature line is funny in light of how I started this thread out " I am tired of arguing ...)
ME1st is offline  
Old Jan 31, 06, 10:22 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: IAD, DCA
Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Silver
Posts: 1,509
Originally Posted by ME1st
To exhaust the possibilities (persistent hubby ) I will call the delivery service and check it out.
No matter what they tell you on the phone, remember that you're in Hawaii. I can almost guarantee you that there will be some incredibly annoying glitsch for which no one will take responsibilty, and you will be just a crazy mainlander for caring. Part of the price of paradise . . .
chazas is offline  
Old Feb 2, 06, 11:10 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: San Francisco
Programs: AA, UA, HH
Posts: 37
I agree with the OPs about too much rain for a convertible - I've been on the island in the middle of winter and in the middle of summer and got almost as much rain in either season.
Paula_Miller is offline  
Old Feb 3, 06, 4:42 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Wisconsin
Programs: Delta, UA, SPG
Posts: 436
Update on delivery service costs
Delivery of 2 sets of clubs from LIH up to Princeville (drum roll please) a whopping $145 - clearly not an option.

SUV is $85 more than convertible rental.

Another quick question - you all keep speaking of ran, we are not in Kuaui until April 6-17, should be better weather then (although I know there are still showers) correct.

Thanks
ME1st is offline  
Old Feb 3, 06, 9:42 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: San Francisco
Programs: AA, UA, HH
Posts: 37
Originally Posted by ME1st
Update on delivery service costs
Delivery of 2 sets of clubs from LIH up to Princeville (drum roll please) a whopping $145 - clearly not an option.

SUV is $85 more than convertible rental.

Another quick question - you all keep speaking of ran, we are not in Kuaui until April 6-17, should be better weather then (although I know there are still showers) correct.

Thanks
Again, having been there in the middle of summer (when theoretically you would expect the least amount of rain) I can tell you that there is still a fair amount of shower activity that time of year. According to Yahoo! weather the average precipitation is 3.5" in April - that's more than a negligent amount.
Paula_Miller is offline  
Old Feb 3, 06, 10:03 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Bellevue, WA, USA
Posts: 253
The weather will vary depending upon where you are located on the island. Typically the winward side get more wet weather than the leeward side. This is because the mositure laden clouds come from the northwest, hit the mountains on the island and then drop the moisture as rain. So on the other side of the mountain it would stay dryer. This process reverses when the clouds come from the south east and the leeward side gets the rain while the winward does not.

In other words the north and east shores will typically have more wet weather while the south and west have more dry weather. If it is raining one place on the island then it will likely not be raining another place.
alanwar is offline  
Old Feb 3, 06, 11:04 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,681
Originally Posted by ME1st
Another quick question - you all keep speaking of ran, we are not in Kuaui until April 6-17, should be better weather then (although I know there are still showers) correct.

Thanks
We are quite behind in rain this year. I'd estimate that so far we have received less than 1/4 of last winter's amount. Therefore, we are due for a lot of rain, and IMHO it is likely to happen anytime from now until about May. Rain here comes in two forms: either passing showers or week (or multi-week) long torrential downpours. It is the latter that we are due for. We might typically get 2 to 4 weeks of that per season, and so far we have had only 1. I remember once in my house at Poipu (which is typically quite warm), I was held up for 2 weeks, and used the oven and fans together to try to stay warm.

Last edited by jtkauai; Feb 3, 06 at 11:08 am
jtkauai is offline  
Old Feb 3, 06, 12:17 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Posts: 2,183
Originally Posted by jtkauai
We are quite behind in rain this year. I'd estimate that so far we have received less than 1/4 of last winter's amount. Therefore, we are due for a lot of rain, and IMHO it is likely to happen anytime from now until about May. Rain here comes in two forms: either passing showers or week (or multi-week) long torrential downpours. It is the latter that we are due for. We might typically get 2 to 4 weeks of that per season, and so far we have had only 1. I remember once in my house at Poipu (which is typically quite warm), I was held up for 2 weeks, and used the oven and fans together to try to stay warm.

Oh no-this is not good news-we will be visiting Kauai for the first time 2/13-2/21.Please,please let the downpours hold off!

Two questions please-we have rented a Jeep Wrangler-any reason we should not go with it?I will pick up from the hotel-we plan to use the hotel shuttle to and from the airport
Are there any stores we can walk to from the Marriott Kauai?We arrive on the 13th but plan to get the car the next day and I'd like to be able to walk somewhere and pick up drinks and snacks if possible.
freeflyin is offline  
Old Feb 3, 06, 12:32 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,681
Originally Posted by freeflyin
Oh no-this is not good news-we will be visiting Kauai for the first time 2/13-2/21.Please,please let the downpours hold off!

Two questions please-we have rented a Jeep Wrangler-any reason we should not go with it?I will pick up from the hotel-we plan to use the hotel shuttle to and from the airport
Are there any stores we can walk to from the Marriott Kauai?We arrive on the 13th but plan to get the car the next day and I'd like to be able to walk somewhere and pick up drinks and snacks if possible.
jeep okay though not as secure obviously as a car. don't leave anything you care about therein.

you can walk down to nawiliwili boat harbor where there's an abc convenience store.
jtkauai is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: