FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/)
-   -   transportation advice (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/520606-transportation-advice.html)

ME1st Jan 30, 2006 4:20 am

transportation advice

Tired of arguing with the hubby about how to handle this - so am looking for advice.

Landing at LIH - staying at Sheraton Kauai 3 nights then moving to condo up at Princeville area.

Need to transport 2 sets of clubs, suitcases and 3 people.

Trip from airport to hotel - trip from hotel to condo - trip from condo to airport involved

Hubby wants a convertible. Obviousily convertible won't accomodate this load.

I have thought of shipping clubs to Condo for storage, shuttling to hotel then getting car (doesn't help in move to condo) and just plain forget the convertible.

Any other thoughts on how to make this happen?
Thanks

Mary2e Jan 30, 2006 7:34 am

A convertible holds almost no luggage. No matter which one you get. We have to take the top down to get a suitcase into the backseat because the trunk, if you're lucky, will hold only one - and that's if you get the Crysler convertible. Forget about putting anything into a Mustang trunk.

To make your moves easiest it may be best to rent either a luxury car with a big trunk or an SUV. Because you're moving around a bit, the extra cost involved for the larger cars would offset the shuttle/cab costs.

bocastephen Jan 30, 2006 10:05 am

I found a delivery service:

Universal Delivery Service
3081 Peleke St Ste 5
Lihue, HI 96766-1459
(808) 245-9974

Perhaps you can give them a call and find out what they would charge to move the luggage and clubs around the island for you. A convertible is a must-have for me when in Hawai'i, so I would hate to give it up, even if I had spend more to hire a service to move things around.

jtkauai Jan 30, 2006 11:31 am

Rent something reasonable and forget it (SUV or whatever). Delivery service is too expensive (you're talking about a 90 minute drive). At most times, convertible isn't practical in Kauai, due to rain (and it has been very rainy lately). It is funny watching the tourists stop dangerously on the highway to put the tops up and down. FYI there are almost no convertibles on Kauai other than tourists.

Mary2e Jan 30, 2006 11:36 am

BTW - to add to JTKauai's post.... I was talked out of a convertible by almost every regular poster on this board for my first trip there. I normally love having one in Hawaii and was really grateful they talked me out of it. They saved us the trouble & a decent sum of money.

Too many sporadic "blessings" to keep the top down for any length of time. I'll stick to convertibles on the other islands, but in Kauai I'll stick to a regular car.

ME1st Jan 31, 2006 5:41 am

Thanks for the suggestions!

To exhaust the possibilities (persistent hubby :rolleyes: ) I will call the delivery service and check it out.

Mary2e - your signature line is funny in light of how I started this thread out " I am tired of arguing ...)

chazas Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am

Originally Posted by ME1st
To exhaust the possibilities (persistent hubby :rolleyes: ) I will call the delivery service and check it out.

No matter what they tell you on the phone, remember that you're in Hawaii. I can almost guarantee you that there will be some incredibly annoying glitsch for which no one will take responsibilty, and you will be just a crazy mainlander for caring. Part of the price of paradise . . .

Paula_Miller Feb 2, 2006 11:10 am

I agree with the OPs about too much rain for a convertible - I've been on the island in the middle of winter and in the middle of summer and got almost as much rain in either season.

ME1st Feb 3, 2006 4:42 am

Update on delivery service costs
Delivery of 2 sets of clubs from LIH up to Princeville (drum roll please) a whopping $145 - clearly not an option.

SUV is $85 more than convertible rental.

Another quick question - you all keep speaking of ran, we are not in Kuaui until April 6-17, should be better weather then (although I know there are still showers) correct.

Thanks

Paula_Miller Feb 3, 2006 9:42 am

Update on delivery service costs
Delivery of 2 sets of clubs from LIH up to Princeville (drum roll please) a whopping $145 - clearly not an option.

SUV is $85 more than convertible rental.

Another quick question - you all keep speaking of ran, we are not in Kuaui until April 6-17, should be better weather then (although I know there are still showers) correct.

Thanks

Again, having been there in the middle of summer (when theoretically you would expect the least amount of rain) I can tell you that there is still a fair amount of shower activity that time of year. According to Yahoo! weather the average precipitation is 3.5" in April - that's more than a negligent amount.

alanwar Feb 3, 2006 10:03 am

The weather will vary depending upon where you are located on the island. Typically the winward side get more wet weather than the leeward side. This is because the mositure laden clouds come from the northwest, hit the mountains on the island and then drop the moisture as rain. So on the other side of the mountain it would stay dryer. This process reverses when the clouds come from the south east and the leeward side gets the rain while the winward does not.

In other words the north and east shores will typically have more wet weather while the south and west have more dry weather. If it is raining one place on the island then it will likely not be raining another place.

jtkauai Feb 3, 2006 11:04 am

Thanks

We are quite behind in rain this year. I'd estimate that so far we have received less than 1/4 of last winter's amount. Therefore, we are due for a lot of rain, and IMHO it is likely to happen anytime from now until about May. Rain here comes in two forms: either passing showers or week (or multi-week) long torrential downpours. It is the latter that we are due for. We might typically get 2 to 4 weeks of that per season, and so far we have had only 1. I remember once in my house at Poipu (which is typically quite warm), I was held up for 2 weeks, and used the oven and fans together to try to stay warm.

freeflyin Feb 3, 2006 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by jtkauai
We are quite behind in rain this year. I'd estimate that so far we have received less than 1/4 of last winter's amount. Therefore, we are due for a lot of rain, and IMHO it is likely to happen anytime from now until about May. Rain here comes in two forms: either passing showers or week (or multi-week) long torrential downpours. It is the latter that we are due for. We might typically get 2 to 4 weeks of that per season, and so far we have had only 1. I remember once in my house at Poipu (which is typically quite warm), I was held up for 2 weeks, and used the oven and fans together to try to stay warm.

Oh no-this is not good news-we will be visiting Kauai for the first time 2/13-2/21.Please,please let the downpours hold off!

Two questions please-we have rented a Jeep Wrangler-any reason we should not go with it?I will pick up from the hotel-we plan to use the hotel shuttle to and from the airport
Are there any stores we can walk to from the Marriott Kauai?We arrive on the 13th but plan to get the car the next day and I'd like to be able to walk somewhere and pick up drinks and snacks if possible.

jtkauai Feb 3, 2006 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by freeflyin
Oh no-this is not good news-we will be visiting Kauai for the first time 2/13-2/21.Please,please let the downpours hold off!

Two questions please-we have rented a Jeep Wrangler-any reason we should not go with it?I will pick up from the hotel-we plan to use the hotel shuttle to and from the airport
Are there any stores we can walk to from the Marriott Kauai?We arrive on the 13th but plan to get the car the next day and I'd like to be able to walk somewhere and pick up drinks and snacks if possible.

jeep okay though not as secure obviously as a car. don't leave anything you care about therein.

you can walk down to nawiliwili boat harbor where there's an abc convenience store.