Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Entertainment Book/Card in Hawaii" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2001, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Consolidated "Entertainment Book/Card in Hawaii" thread

Well I got my Entertainment book for Hawaii and am going to Oahu in a couple of weeks. Seem to be a lot of great offers in there and I know I'll easily be able to recoop my $38 cost.

In any case, any one have thoughts on what are must see/eat/go that are in the Entertainment book? I'd like to use the book to its fullest.

Two things I've already gathered from these boards -- the Polynesian Cultural Center (2 for 1 in the book) has its supporters and detractors on the board -- and the Hawaiin Adventure Water Park -- ($7 off per person in the book) -- is highly recommended.

Any other insight?

PS -- Unsolicited plug -- entertainment.com offers free shipping on 2 books or more -- I ordered three last Thursday (one for Pittsburgh, one for Hawaii, and one as a Christmas present for out of town relatives) and they arrived Monday -- two business days..
Old Nov 7, 2001, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At least 50% of the listed HI restaurants will be closed now or by the time the 2002 E-book expires. I recommend you call and make reservations or to see if they are still open. Itsa been that way for the past 5-6 years and times are getting even worse in HI lately.

MIsterNice
Old Nov 7, 2001, 8:41 pm

We have had 5 Hawaii Entertainment books over the years since 1994. We usually use deals from each section (of course it depends on what Island you are on). My last book (2001) I send to a FT member who went on a trip this summer - so it got double mileage (as a manner of speaking, since you can't reuse those items requiring a card punch). In years past we have always recyled to friends going to Hawaii, and in one time we were in Honolulu in December and Maui and Kauai in June - so we took a real benefit.

I recommend the Aquarium, the Bishop Museum and the Honolulu Zoo. We have been to Hawaii many times, so we got most of the tourist places out of the way years ago, so when we go now there is not an urgency to see "everything", we can take time to enjoy.

We have also used coupons for the Bowfin/Missouri deal, Dole Plantation Dole Whip, and local food chains for breakfast and lunch as well as dinner.

Be sure to compare with the "This Week in ..." and "Oahu Gold" books that you can pick up all over town - and in baggage claim.

We will be there in December, so I will make a report on what we took advantage of.

------------------
Fancy
Old Nov 8, 2001, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
We have always purchased an entertainment book for Hawaii before each trip. The first couple of books we used many of the coupons for food, activities and hotel rooms at 50% off.

We haven't purchased one for this trip. We didn't use last years book for anything but the hotel discount (which made it worth it). Over the years, we have met people on the island, and like Fancy, haven't done the touristy stuff in ages. We always go to the Bishop Museum and don't take the boat tours or go to luaus any longer. We just chill & enjoy the less trafficed parts of the island. I'm happy sitting on Waimea Beach watching the waves all day.

If this is your first or second trip, the book can be very useful. We took some great snorkeling trips & a couple of decent dinner cruises for 2 for 1.

BTW - even if a hotel isn't listed in the book as 50% off, call & ask anyway. The Outrigger Waikiki is NEVER in the book & we have always gotten it for half off.

Have a good trip.

Mary
Old Nov 8, 2001, 12:54 pm

Funny - I just got the book and was looking through it today. In terms of restaurants, there are some good deals. I haven't been to many of the restaurants listed, but here are a few I'd recommend:

Nick's Fishmarket is good and using the card at the restaurant will come very close to covering the cost of the book.

The Pyramids: great middle eastern food and belly dancers. Watch hours on Friday and Saturday night for using the card, or go on other days.

Pagoda Floating Restaurant: I haven't been, but hear it is good.

Quintero's Cuisine: great mexican. This is more of a fine dining style mexican. I think the food is more typical of the south than north of Mexico. Wonderful refried beans. A little pricey, but the book makes it reasonable.

Troy's Kahala Bar & Grill - good food and live music several times per week.

In the red coupon section:
Kaka'ako Kitchen
Cisco's Cantina

Orange section:
Cha Cha Cha Salsaria

There is a discount coupon for the Bowfin and several dinner/sunset cruises too. Depending on your energy level, there is a coupon for Kailua Sailboards and Kayaks - near Kailua beach - a great place to rent a kayack and paddle around - also a really wonderful beach to visit in general.

I hope this is helful. Have a good trip.
Old Nov 12, 2001, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Thanks for the information. I will be printing out this thread and taking it with me. This is my first trip to Hawaii so I figure I'll be doing a lot of the touristy stuff. I'm staying on an award stay so I don't need to use the hotel award.

I figure I should be able to find at least a couple of Waikiki restaurants that I can use the book at and at least recoup my cost. There are a few other activities in there I might do -- thanks for all the suggestions.
Old Dec 31, 2002, 10:19 am

Big Island Entertainment Book?

I'm going to stay on the Big Island for a week. Is it worth it to get the Hawaii Entertainment book?
Old Dec 31, 2002, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Depends...

If you're going to use it to get a hotel, then yes. The Outrigger Waikoloa, though not listed, is usually available for 50% off. I even managed to snare a cabana at the discount.

There are a few activities, and some fast food places are listed. The restaurants are mostly all on the Hilo side of the island.

I don't have a book handy, but generally speaking, spending the $$$ for the book if you are only going to the BI and not using it for your hotel isn't worth it.

Have you looked at it online at entertainment.com?

Mary
Old Dec 31, 2002, 3:02 pm

The entertainment rate is bookable online at outrigger.com . This is unusual as at most hotels you must call directly. Just an fyi.
Old Jan 1, 2003, 4:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
Note that the several of the Outrigger properties in Hawaii are being converted to Marriott properties this month. Do a search of Flyertalk to see the message thread.
Old Jan 8, 2003, 2:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FFSaver:
I'm going to stay on the Big Island for a week. Is it worth it to get the Hawaii Entertainment book?</font>
I'm in the same boat and wondering the same thing, only difference being that I will probably spend two nights in HNL first and (not too likely but) possibly one night on a third island.

I wouldn't need any hotel discounts on the Big Island and when I reviewed the other Big Island discounts on the Entertainment Book web site, there weren't too many.

So, is the Entertainment Book worth getting for just two or three days in HNL?

Thanks
Old Jan 8, 2003, 3:46 pm

If you have the Entertainment book for your area you can use that to get Hawaii hotel discounts. There are few restaurants on the Big Island in the Hawaii Entertainment book. Most of the restaurants in the book are on the island of Oahu. There are more coupons for activities on the BI - but you can also get activity coupons by picking up free copies of Hawaiian Gold (Maui Gold, Oahu Gold), Hawaii This Week, etc. at the airport - these 'weekly magazines" are generally available near baggage claim and are full of discount coupons.

If you are interested in activity coupons I'd be happy to send you a few from my Entertainment book - just send me an email.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 10:08 pm

Related question. We are planning a week-long trip to Maui (Maui only) and were wondering if the Hawaii book is any good for Maui. From looking at the Entertainment website, looks like the answer is no.

Can anyone shed some light on this, looking for restaurants, activities, etc, no need for hotel discounts, etc as I already have the NYC book.... Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2003, 11:30 am
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
There is a related thread in FT Travel:

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/009491.html
Old Feb 25, 2003, 11:33 am

lqdnitin - I am also staying a week in Maui and was looking at the Entertainment book and didn't think it made sense. Usually if you can get a buy one get one on a round of golf or a nice restaraunt it pays for itself and everything else is bonus.

I do know if you have your local edition there is a $5 off coupon for out of town editions in the back. I saw on Maui, there is also an IQ card which looked like it had more to choose from on Maui.

Here was another link with discounts:
http://www.alohafrommaui.com/

To the original poster, I don't think the EB is good for the Big Island.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.