Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting Condos and Houses in Hawaii" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2007, 1:41 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by alanwar
I stand corrected - all beaches are indeed public. But I don't remember any public access to that beach. Are you allowed to walk through the resort or is there a secret path to the beach ?
Nothing secret about it! The public access to Keoniniu beach, fronting the Kahana Sunset, is 1/4 mile south down Lower Road, identified by the Beach Access sign, leading to the parking area adjacent to the rocky wash-rocks at the southern end of the beach. One may also access and egress the beach from the property's main entrance by foot, as foot traffic through the property is tolerated.

Also, you'll probably enjoy air-conditioning for sleeping at night, in Napili, from May to October, though there is a cooler tradewind blowing up there than in Lahaina Town (by about 10 degrees. ).

Last edited by kaukau; May 5, 2007 at 11:53 am
Old May 5, 2007, 8:30 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
I've rented from VRBO with no issues at all. In fact, I'd do it again in a heartbeat before paying +25-50% to rent through a holding company such as ResortQuest.

I'd definitely recommend Kaanapali Shores as a nice location. We rented via VRBO and our 2bdrm unit was fabulous. The bedroom had an awesome view of the ocean. The grounds were immaculate and struck the right balance of being not too small but not too big either. Here's where we stayed: http://www.vrbo.com/53979

You won't get any closer to the ocean than Maui Kai. Some of the units listed on VRBO look very, very nice (granite countertops, etc) and the views are to kill for. The building was built right on the beach. (I'd love to own here, but the environmentalist in me wishes that the government would force them to tear it down, restore the beach, and move the building back 100 yards.) Here's one unit on VRBO I'd consider, though there are lots of others. http://www.vrbo.com/47715

Note that the pool at Maui Kai is in the back, though. That's because there's no room in the front!

If you haven't already, check out WizardPub.com, which is the website of the highly recommended Maui Revealed books. You have to enter a code to see their reviews, but aerial views are gratis and very helpful.

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrmauikai.html
http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrkaanapalishores.html

Last edited by Recreation; May 6, 2007 at 9:47 am Reason: fixing broken link
Old May 5, 2007, 12:08 pm

Thanks for all the great info! Bummer that the unit you stayed in is booked during the time we'll be there. I'm sure I'll be able to find another one.
Old May 5, 2007, 12:30 pm

Which Maui condo location is your fav?

Trying to determine which of the following locations is the best! Please let me know which is your favorite and why! Thanks for your help - we're planning a vacation in Sept - can't wait.

The Whaler
Kaanapoli Alii
Kaanapoli Shores
Mahana
Old May 5, 2007, 7:11 pm

Programs: Delta
Papakea. Next door (nearly) to Shores, so access to the same beach. Advantages are that the buildings are only 4 floors, so the place feels much more spread out and open, as compared to the high-rise. Nice garden layout, 2 nice pools, tennis courts, putting greens, a variety of owner-owned units to rent. Since the beach directly in front disappears at high tide, it's not considered beach front, thus the prices are lower. However, right next door begins the long beach that goes all the way to Black Rock. You can get there in about 3 minutes with a slow walk, probably quicker than waiting for and riding the elevator, then walking through the complex of the high-rise condos right next door. We've rented several times from Papakea owners and will go back.
Old May 5, 2007, 10:38 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Kaanapali Alii

Rented there twice. Great apartments nice location. Could use a better pool though. Right on the beach.
Old May 6, 2007, 10:02 am

Another alternative is to check out Redweek.com, Tug2.com, or Craigslist.com and browse the ads of timeshare owners looking to rent out their unit.

http://www.tug1.org/tugads/1-2sposted1.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/vac/
Old May 8, 2007, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kaanapali Alii is choice #1, Whaler is #1.5. They're both great places, but KA has a small edge, IMHO. Love the fact that both places are walking distance from Whaler's Village as well as four great hotels.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 9:08 pm

Big Island Condo Recommendations

Will be traveling to Kona 8/23-26 with the family (2 adults, 2 kids (6,5) & Au Pair). Leaning towards a condo / timeshare. Hoping some of the experts can recommend anything. Looking for something near the ocean and/or a great pool. Won't be golfing so that's not important.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 12:46 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by djlndc
Will be traveling to Kona 8/23-26 with the family (2 adults, 2 kids (6,5) & Au Pair). Leaning towards a condo / timeshare. Hoping some of the experts can recommend anything. Looking for something near the ocean and/or a great pool. Won't be golfing so that's not important.

Thanks in advance.
Try www.vrbo.com

Aloha kakou!
Old Jan 3, 2008, 5:22 am

Thanks kaukau. That's a good website that I haven't seen. However, i was hoping for some personal recommendations. Web site advertisements make them all look great - but we know some are better than others.

Mahalo
Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:30 am

We stayed in July at the Fairway Golf Villas in the Waikoloa Beach area. We got it through VRBO. The pool is not a fabulous resort pool like next door at the Hilton, but more than adequate. Beach access through the Marriott property across the road, or the really fabulous beaches a couple of miles up the road at Hapuna (rated one of the best in the world).. Our unit was 2 BR/2Bath with a sleeping loft that the kids were thrilled with. I was afraid they would be disappointed, since we were coming from a week at the Kauai Beach club with its fabulous ocean front pool, but they were very excited about having a "whole house" and the sleeping loft as their private area. Very nice deck overlooking the golf course, and wonderful ocean breezes on the deck, though we couldn't see the ocean. There are 5 or 6 other condo complexes in this area that all looked very nice.
Cindi
Old Jan 6, 2008, 6:27 pm

We stayed in early December at the Resortquest Kaanapali Shores in a 2 BR suite. The property was nice for our kids with a separate kids' pool and nicely laid out grounds and garden area. However my wife had some issues with various room maintenance problems so she refuses to stay there again. So for April/May we are booked into the Resortquest Mahana.

If anyone has stayed at the Mahana before can you tell me how suitable this property would be for kids ages 8 and under? Looking at the website it doesn't look like they have much of a beach or pool area. If there is an alternate Resortquest property of similar quality but with a nicer pool area for kids I would like to switch to the reservation. I would prefer to stay with Resortquest because of their excellent Entertainment rates.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
If anyone has stayed at the Mahana before can you tell me how suitable this property would be for kids ages 8 and under? Looking at the website it doesn't look like they have much of a beach or pool area. If there is an alternate Resortquest property of similar quality but with a nicer pool area for kids I would like to switch to the reservation. I would prefer to stay with Resortquest because of their excellent Entertainment rates.
I've never stayed there, but I like the location. The building reminds me of a circa 1970 apartment building; architecturally speaking, it leaves me cold. However, because of the way it's built, every condo should have a very nice ocean view except occasional palm trees, etc.

I think a big problem with renting from ResortQuest is that the quality of their rooms vary so much. That's why I prefer to rent from the owner directly as you know exactly what your condo is going to look like and what the view is going to be. The privately owned units at Mahana on VRBO vary quite a bit in terms of decorating and upkeep. I guess if you get a crappy one, you can ask for a different one if you rent from a management agency.

Have you checked out Maui Revealed's website yet? They are now offering free aerial views and reviews. Personally, I think Shores is much nicer...

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrmahana.html
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:43 am

Advice please on a condo on Big Island for large family with small kids

We are bringing 4 of our kids to Hawaii for about 10 days in the spring. The kids are ages 2 through 9.

We are looking for a condo on the Big Island with the following features:

Three bedrooms, or two bedrooms plus sofabed, and full kitchen
Nearby to a calm beach which is safe for small kids
A few minutes drive from a well-stocked grocery store
Kid-friendly pool on the property
Moderately upscale (price range $300.00 to 500.00 per night)
Quiet
Functioning air conditioning is a must

I'm not sure if any properties on the Big Island fit the bill. From what I have read, many of the condos are away from the beach. If we aren't able to find a suitable place on the Big Island then we will go back to Waikiki or Maui where we have found condos in the past that met all the above requirements.

Any guidance on this would be most appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.