Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting Condos and Houses in Hawaii" thread

Old Jun 9, 01, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold

We are looking for information on renting a condo on the Big Island. Thought I'd check here on FT if anyone knows of or can direct me to a good condo rental.

I know, you'd rather earn or use hotel points when you go to Hawaii, but this is for a friend who isn't (yikes!) a frequent flyer.
Old Jun 9, 01, 5:43 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus, Carbon Conscious Travel, FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
Hi Nanook -

This isn't a condo, so maybe it won't do for them, but I really enjoyed my stay here. It's a very private B&B with some of the amenities one might expect in a condo. It's up in the hills above the airport and situated in a 40-acre coffee orchard. The house is 7,000-square-feet yet there are only six rooms, some with stunning vistas. Rooms come with breakfast and a platter of hors d'ouevres in the evening. In addition to several living areas, there's a large area with refrigerator, wet bar, microwave and barbecue. There are also beach mats, snorkle gear, beach chairs and umbrellas for complimentary use. Also a pool and spa. Our only complaint was that the pool isn't heated so it was rather cold, but that was in early April so it's probably warmer in the summer. Rates are less than $200 a night and I think there's some deal where you get one night free after five paid or something. www.konaweb.com/HINN
Old Jun 9, 01, 6:08 pm

The Hawaii Connection spealizes in accommodations in Hawaii they can be found at:
http://www.hawaiiconnection.com/
Old Jun 9, 01, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Nanook - I did use the hawaiiconnection earlier this yr to book a condo in Hawaii (Ouha) for a family trip. It was a 2 bedroom 2 bathrm hotel unit. And, overall, we were quite happy about it. So, def. check it out. It offers all kinds of price ranges and location. If you've any question, feel free to email me.

Helen
Old Jun 10, 01, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Thanks all for the prompt replies. I'll check the links you've supplied right away.
Old Jun 10, 01, 3:54 pm

Nanook, We stayed at Kanaloa at Kona a few years ago. Used the Entertainment rate which is 50% off rack rate and was then upgraded to an oceanfront condo. The property has nice town home units- ours had 2 bedroom and a loft and a lanai with a wet bar very few feet from the crashing surf. Ceiling fan cooled and nicely furnished with daily maid service. We stayed for 2 weeks and were very happy.

Linda

------------------
Old Mar 16, 02, 10:29 pm

Kaanapali Ali'i condo

Was searching the Web for condos on Maui and saw these. They look nice (from website pictures) and the complex looks like it's on Kaanapali beach between the Westin and Marriott.

I called and their rates were decent $375/day for 1500 sq. ft. 1Bdrm. They said it could sleep 4.

Has anyone stayed there and could give first-hand impressions?
Old Jun 17, 02, 11:47 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat current Titanium
Maui Condo Recommendations Sought

I'm planning a family trip to Maui for November or December, and am looking for good 2 bedroom condo recommendations. The location isn't terribly important--West Maui or Kihei are fine.

The ideal condo would be an air-conditioned ocean view/front with a pool on the property and a beach close by. Glamour and ritz aren't especially important; just looking for a comfortable and clean place to stay. I've seen countless on the web, but I'm trying to pick out some good ones based on folks who have been there.

Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 02, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA, HH, SPG
Personally, I think the Aston Kaanapali Shores and the Papakea Resort - both on Kaanapali beach - are fine and safe bets. I don't think you'd go wrong with eaither one. The Kaanapali Alii is the old Embassy Suites (as opposed to the Embassy Vacation Resort) and is a little more upscale.
Old Jun 24, 02, 12:59 pm

We stayed at the Grand Champions at Wailea in February and thoroughly enjoyed it. All of the condos at Wailea looked fabulous, and Grand Champions is probably the least nice property and is the only one that is not beachfront.
Old Jun 26, 02, 10:57 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
My recommendation would be Napili Point. http://www.napili.com/ is the main web site, but a Google search will turn up a lot of owners that are willing to provide a discounted rate.

Pros:
--great snorkeling in an adjacent cove with it's own resident seat turtles
--quiet
--good facilities
--lots of return guests, which is some sort of a recommendation
--

Cons:
--non-aircon (a possible disadvantage, given your requirements, but I've never found it to be an issue.
--sand beach a 10 minute walk

Also, there are several other condo complexes close by that you might want to investigate.
Rich
Old Jun 26, 02, 5:54 pm

My advice would be the "Surfside" project
which is relatively small in the southern part of Kihei right next to Keawakapu beach.
You have a nice view from any of the lanais, and the location near Wailea is perfect. As you may know, some of the finest
beaches are in this area, and this particular beach is lined with million dollar homes so it tends to be a bit less crowded then the West Maui area.
Most units are 1 bedroom, however there are a few that are two. A little small sizewise but the views are fanatastic. Check out the
guidebook "Maui Revealed" and see their writeup on these units. Many are rented directly through private owners, but most are handled thru Maui Condo and Home Realty.

Steve
Old Jul 1, 02, 10:20 pm

www.sandsofkahana.com

www.kapalua.com
Old Jul 6, 02, 9:39 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Gold; Starwood Gold; UAL Premier; Delta Silver
If you want to be in West Maui where all the fun is. Best restuarants, beaches, etc. I'd try these two options. I'd call the Maui Marriott directly at 808-667-1200 and ask for reservations. Tell them your interested in buying a time share villa and you want to book the $600.00 car and villa deal. It's for five nights in a premier resort. Tell them a friend told you about the deal and they'll give it to you. Normally they do it through a mailer. Then I'd call the Kahana Sands (3 miles north). Tell them the same story and ask them for a "trial week purchase". My buudy from Chicago did this and bought 7 nights for $500.00 with NO strings attached. That gives you 12 nights for $1100.00 oceanfront in Kaanapali and Kahana! Man I love a deal. Been going twice a year for 20 years. We'll be there in November....might see ya!
Old Jul 6, 02, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TAVGlobal:
If you want to be in West Maui where all the fun is. Best restuarants, beaches, etc.... </font>
Tell me some more about this as I must be missing out on a lotta nice good stuff.

MisterNice

Search this Thread
Search Engine: