Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread (2020 and Onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2022, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Posts prior to 2020 may be found in the following archived thread with the note that several restaurants or bars referenced may no longer be open: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/700557-consolidated-hnl-honolulu-waikiki-oahu-restaurants-bars-thread.html
Print Wikipost

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread (2020 and Onward)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2021, 9:48 am

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by dlaue
Aranchino di Mare, The Eating House, The Deck.

Avoid the ravioli at Hula Grill - the worst restaurant dish I have had in decades.
Thanks -great suggestions; I had never heard of any of them somehow! The Deck has reservations most of the week I will be there and it is even the week of the 4th of July. Apparently I am not the only one for whom they were off my radar.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 2:42 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by 747FC
Don't even try. My old standby is closed for emergency repairs. For now, no reservations being taken.

It is hard enough to get a restaurant reservation, especially for open-air dining that is outside of Waikiki. <sigh>
I was just there last Saturday. Had a spa day with a friend and then Plumeria. One of our regular meet ups.That sucks.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
  • Assagio's Bistro in the new luxury stripmall across Waialae Ave from Kahala Mall was fully open for business a couple weeks ago when I took my mother and extended family for her birthday. Excellent Italian, my pasta was al dente. Bus ride from Waikiki should be very easy.
  • The open market at Kapiolani Community College was packed the Saturday morning when I left with quite a few tourists. Please do everyone a favor and obey the signs about wearing a mask and not eating in the market area if you go. While I think the rules and signs should be overcome by events now, it's just plain disrespectful to ignore them and presents a bad image of tourists when the locals are having to endure the local government's rules.
  • Pioneer Grill at 3046 Monsarrat Ave is a long but easy walk, a block past Kapiolani Park, specializes in Japanese but has a varied menu. I think you can eat in (not fine dining) but I'd just do take out and eat on the beach.
  • Diamond Head Market & Grill at 3158 Monsarrat Ave is a llttle further down, one more block. Again, not fine dining but "good grindz" -- they do a booming take out business.
  • Side Street Inn at 614 Kapahulu Ave, Unit 100, is available for dine-in or take-out. I can only speak to the pork chops and the garlic chicken but my family loves everything on the menu. http://sidestreetinn.com to make reservations or look at their take-out menu.
  • My aunt loves breakfast at Hau Tree, located at the Kaimana (very end of the beach, closest to Diamond Head). kaimana.com/dining to look at their menus or make reservations.
Afraid that's all I can think of at the moment -- I generally stay away from Waikiki when I go home.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
  • Diamond Head Market & Grill at 3158 Monsarrat Ave is a llttle further down, one more block. Again, not fine dining but "good grindz" -- they do a booming take out business.
Love that place. Surf and turf plate lunch to go is amazing.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 6:24 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
  • Assagio's Bistro in the new luxury stripmall across Waialae Ave from Kahala Mall was fully open for business a couple weeks ago when I took my mother and extended family for her birthday. Excellent Italian, my pasta was al dente. Bus ride from Waikiki should be very easy.
  • The open market at Kapiolani Community College was packed the Saturday morning when I left with quite a few tourists. Please do everyone a favor and obey the signs about wearing a mask and not eating in the market area if you go. While I think the rules and signs should be overcome by events now, it's just plain disrespectful to ignore them and presents a bad image of tourists when the locals are having to endure the local government's rules.
  • Pioneer Grill at 3046 Monsarrat Ave is a long but easy walk, a block past Kapiolani Park, specializes in Japanese but has a varied menu. I think you can eat in (not fine dining) but I'd just do take out and eat on the beach.
  • Side Street Inn at 614 Kapahulu Ave, Unit 100, is available for dine-in or take-out. I can only speak to the pork chops and the garlic chicken but my family loves everything on the menu. http://sidestreetinn.com to make reservations or look at their take-out menu.
  • My aunt loves breakfast at Hau Tree, located at the Kaimana (very end of the beach, closest to Diamond Head). kaimana.com/dining to look at their menus or make reservations.
Afraid that's all I can think of at the moment -- I generally stay away from Waikiki when I go home.
Fabulous suggestions! Thank you again and I want to be walking a lot but all easily gotten to with a partial bus ride. They all look much more interesting than some of the old standbys.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 8:18 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Quest for the Best Lobster Roll

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
My mom and her +1 had lunch at Hau Tree (I guess they dropped the 'Lanai') a few days ago; she said her lobster roll was good, but not exceptional. It's been ages since I last ate at either Hau Tree or Michele's; hope to be able to visit later this year!
Had lunch today at the Hau Tree, and used this opportunity to assess your mother's taste in lobster rolls ...

First a bit about the roll composition: In addition to lobster, there is umami aioli, herbs, crispy prosciutto, and avocado. Served on a brioche bun. With a side of french fries.

My first impression of the roll was wow--why did they put bacon on top of it! As I continued to eat the roll, I got more impressed with the different flavors contained within and how the flavors were layered. The sandwich was very filling, and in the end, I was quite impressed with the lobster roll. The brioche bun was my favorite of all the lobster roll buns that I have tried of recent. The creamy avocado-- which was in the bottom layer was a great touch. I'm not sure about whether the prosciutto added or detracted from the experience. Next time, I think I will order it with the prosciutto on the side so I can experiment with how it alters the flavor profile. Next time I will ask if they can make the fries extra crispy. The fries were not too salty, which was a plus.

At $32 for the roll, these are not kamaaina prices, and is 33% more expensive than the rolls at Feast or Et Al. Definitely a more more complex version of a lobster roll, but if price is an object, then buyer beware.

FlyinHawaiian , mahalo for mentioning the Hau Tree option for rolls!
Old Jun 27, 2021, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, most hotel programs
Looking for some indoor dining ideas for dinner within a 2-mile walk of the Honolulu Zoo area (we are staying at the Aston Beach Hotel Waikiki). Not touristy, interesting food (not just steak and chicken), moderately priced (is it possible to get an entree for under $25??) that has a tiny bit of atmosphere. We are two adults/no kids. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 9, 2021, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by mstraveler
Thanks and having trouble finding any restaurants that are open for sit-down! Would like to get at least a couple of reservations. I know I am late to the game. Got a Roy's reservation at 4:45 and Hula Grill at 2:15. Any other suggestions gratefully accepted!
Hula Grill was only OK, and I ended up with a meeting so had to cancel Roy's. Had a wonderful breakfast/lunch at The Surfing Pig The Surfing Pig Hawaii - The Surfing Pig Hawaii. A bit afield from Waikiki, but great food and an inventive cocktail menu. Small place so get a reservation.

Also, Istanbul Home | ISTANBUL HAWAII in the Ward Center. Lovely patio and indoor space. They were packed for lunch on a Friday so recommend reservation there also.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 11:02 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by dlaue
Aranchino di Mare, The Eating House, The Deck.

Avoid the ravioli at Hula Grill - the worst restaurant dish I have had in decades.
I had breakfast at Deck on Monday. Nice outdoor deck (hence the name) with a fabulous view of Diamond Head. Food was good, not great (we both had Eggs Benny) and it was barely warm when we got it. I was torn between that and the Deep Dish Haupia French Toast and wished I’d had the latter. I will give it another shot just to try it. Nice cocktail menu.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 11:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
We really enjoyed sushi at Furusato in front of the Hyatt Regency. Japanese owned, walk-in only, just a few tables - great sushi, great service. Far better than Suntory, where concierge at Kahala sent us.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Bohemiana
Looking for some indoor dining ideas for dinner within a 2-mile walk of the Honolulu Zoo area (we are staying at the Aston Beach Hotel Waikiki). Not touristy, interesting food (not just steak and chicken), moderately priced (is it possible to get an entree for under $25??) that has a tiny bit of atmosphere. We are two adults/no kids. Any suggestions?

Too late for the poster, but Mariposa has Chicken Milanese as a lunch special for Monday at $24!
i never order the "special" but the waiter was so enthusiastic I figured why not. More substantial for lunch than I expected.
Nice presentation, quite good, So yes, there is an entree under $25. Surprisingly 3 of the 4 champagne/sparkling wines were
not available. So the least expensive meal I've ever had there.

As as for the $34 lobster club~ unless it's been greatly enhanced, it fell short at $28 a few years ago. Apples to oranges, but I think
Joy's Special at House Without a Key is a better sandwich. (Closed for now).
Old Jul 20, 2021, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Orchids
Too late for the poster, but Mariposa has Chicken Milanese as a lunch special for Monday at $24!
i never order the "special" but the waiter was so enthusiastic I figured why not. More substantial for lunch than I expected.
Nice presentation, quite good, So yes, there is an entree under $25. Surprisingly 3 of the 4 champagne/sparkling wines were
not available. So the least expensive meal I've ever had there.

As as for the $34 lobster club~ unless it's been greatly enhanced, it fell short at $28 a few years ago. Apples to oranges, but I think
Joy's Special at House Without a Key is a better sandwich. (Closed for now).
House Without a Key will re-open October 1, 2021 according to a staff member. Was there over the 4th of July and they are remodeling it.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 12:05 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by 747FC
Had lunch today at the Hau Tree, and used this opportunity to assess your mother's taste in lobster rolls ...

First a bit about the roll composition: In addition to lobster, there is umami aioli, herbs, crispy prosciutto, and avocado. Served on a brioche bun. With a side of french fries.

My first impression of the roll was wow--why did they put bacon on top of it! As I continued to eat the roll, I got more impressed with the different flavors contained within and how the flavors were layered. The sandwich was very filling, and in the end, I was quite impressed with the lobster roll. The brioche bun was my favorite of all the lobster roll buns that I have tried of recent. The creamy avocado-- which was in the bottom layer was a great touch. I'm not sure about whether the prosciutto added or detracted from the experience. Next time, I think I will order it with the prosciutto on the side so I can experiment with how it alters the flavor profile. Next time I will ask if they can make the fries extra crispy. The fries were not too salty, which was a plus.

At $32 for the roll, these are not kamaaina prices, and is 33% more expensive than the rolls at Feast or Et Al. Definitely a more more complex version of a lobster roll, but if price is an object, then buyer beware.

FlyinHawaiian , mahalo for mentioning the Hau Tree option for rolls!
FlyinHawaiian : Always trust your mother! I went back to Hau Tree for another go of the lobster rolls. This time I was not at all impressed. Lobster was very chewy. Oh well, please let me know your mom's list of approved restaurants and menu items.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by mstraveler
House Without a Key will re-open October 1, 2021 according to a staff member. Was there over the 4th of July and they are remodeling it.

Thanks for the update. It's one of my favorite places. I think their Mai Tai is perfection. Actually I enjoy all the venues at
Halekulani. Afternoon Tea is always a treat. Evening cocktails at L'Aperitif are just lovely.

Last edited by Orchids; Jul 20, 2021 at 2:41 pm
Old Jul 20, 2021, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Just back from a week on Oahu. Enjoyed dinners at beachhouse, MW, Michel's, and Merriman's, as well as breakfast at Deck (thanks for suggesting it!) and Duke's. Was my SO's first trip to Hawai'i. Had reservations at all, and all were excellent aside from run-of-the-mill breakfast buffet at Duke's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.