Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread (2020 and Onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2022, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Posts prior to 2020 may be found in the following archived thread with the note that several restaurants or bars referenced may no longer be open: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/700557-consolidated-hnl-honolulu-waikiki-oahu-restaurants-bars-thread.html
Print Wikipost

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread (2020 and Onward)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2021, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Beachhouse at Moana Surfrider has just reopened after a long shutdown, Friday & Saturday evenings only for starters.
kevanton likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 11:26 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
TBD by Vikram Garg

Recently tried TBD by Vikram Garg. https://www.tbdhawaii.com/ Located in the Waikiki area across from Kapiolani Park.

We ordered take-out dinner from the Indian side of the menu, and we thought the selections were quite good (excepting the humus in the bento, which we found too salty). One of selections was curry, which was supposed to include raita, but there was none in the package when we got home.

We enjoyed the food, but thought that the price was a bit high for the amount served.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Cafe Goofy scheduled to reopen May 15 just in time for our visit. Nice casual spot near Hilton Hawaii Village. Good eats, great service. We went here back in 2016. Will return. GOOFY Cafe & Dine - West of Waikiki, Hawaiian local food
Old Apr 7, 2021, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Chart House re-opened 1 April.

I haven't been there due to medical issues.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 6:18 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
MW Restaurant opened for dinner in their new location (the former Viaggio space on Ward and Kapiolani) yesterday. They will be expanding for lunch and happy hour later this month.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 12:09 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Ok, it's not Waikiki, but I really enjoyed the birria style tacos at the La Barria food truck in Kaka’ako a couple of days ago. Sat in the park under a tree to eat. Bonus: Get the extra side of saimin noodles to add to the broth afterwards. Amazing.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 2:06 am

Hi all,

Coming to Maui in several weeks to celebrate an anniversary. Did a lot of research and poring over menus and reviews to try and find a good candidate, and still don't have any restaurants stand out. It's possible I'm being too picky.

Criteria
-Steakhouse/Good steak options
-Raw oysters
-Good seafood entrée options (such as macadamia nut crusted fish, pan seared chilean sea bass/halibut, etc)
-Bonus for lobster bisque

Short List of Restaurants
Michel's
Signature Prime
Hy's
BLT Steak
53 by the Sea
Stripsteak Waikiki

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 17, 2021, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by alany611
Hi all,

Coming to Maui in several weeks to celebrate an anniversary. Did a lot of research and poring over menus and reviews to try and find a good candidate, and still don't have any restaurants stand out. It's possible I'm being too picky.

Criteria
-Steakhouse/Good steak options
-Raw oysters
-Good seafood entrée options (such as macadamia nut crusted fish, pan seared chilean sea bass/halibut, etc)
-Bonus for lobster bisque

Short List of Restaurants
Michel's
Signature Prime
Hy's
BLT Steak
53 by the Sea
Stripsteak Waikiki

Thanks in advance!
Happy anniversary.

I don’t believe any of these are on Maui. Do you mean you are coming to Oahu? If so, can’t beat Michel’s for the setting on the beach. For food, Hy’s.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Happy anniversary.

I don’t believe any of these are on Maui. Do you mean you are coming to Oahu? If so, can’t beat Michel’s for the setting on the beach. For food, Hy’s.
Sorry, typo!! Meant to say Oahu (we are also going to Maui later in the trip). Thanks for your thoughts! I was leaning towards Hy's or Stripsteak Waikiki, unfortunately just found out that Stripsteak is currently closed.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 8:21 am

For steak, I'm at Morton's, Hy's, and Wolfgang's regularly on Oahu, but if it helps, the best steak I've had on Oahu for quite some time was, surprisingly, at an Italian restaurant in Waikiki two weeks ago called Il Lupino. They had an amazing striploin prepared in the Italian "Tagliata di Manzo" style. Turns out the owner is also the owner of Wolfgang's steak house, and the steaks come from the same supplier, which might be one of the reasons it was so good. Don't know about the rest of the menu however.

Note it's very much a place catering to tourists, if that makes any difference.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Note it's very much a place catering to tourists, if that makes any difference.
Catering to tourists = Spendy?

David
Old Apr 18, 2021, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by DELee
Catering to tourists = Spendy?
Yep. And they are open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Still, I loved that steak and I will go back!
Old Apr 25, 2021, 3:25 pm

Hau Tree Lanai at Kaimana Beach Hotel

This past week marked our return to dining out(side) with friends, and on one occasion, we went to dinner at the newly-envisioned Hau Tree Lanai.

They did a marvelous job with a new, modern look for the restaurant. The perhaps-three foot high wall that separated the dining area from the beach has been lowered, increasing the feeling that you are literally "right on the beach."

The restaurant is run by Chris Kajioka, of Senia. The food is a real upgrade from the offerings of the former restaurant. My table had the grilled octopus appetizer, mahi mahi entre, and the lamb entre and ice cream and chocolate/caramel torte. All very tasty (but there really wasn't very much lamb on the plate).

Dinner for four (only three alcoholic drinks total) came in just under $300 plus tip. Service was good, so there was a healthy tip added.

https://www.honolulumagazine.com/hau...heres-a-taste/
Old May 1, 2021, 6:11 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by 747FC
I will continue on my mission to find the best lobster roll served on Oahu.
My mom and her +1 had lunch at Hau Tree (I guess they dropped the 'Lanai') a few days ago; she said her lobster roll was good, but not exceptional. It's been ages since I last ate at either Hau Tree or Michele's; hope to be able to visit later this year!
Old May 2, 2021, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
My mom and her +1 had lunch at Hau Tree (I guess they dropped the 'Lanai') a few days ago; she said her lobster roll was good, but not exceptional. It's been ages since I last ate at either Hau Tree or Michele's; hope to be able to visit later this year!
Just like Liberty House still is spoken, so too will be Hau Tree Lanai. 😀

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.