FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread (2020 and Onward)
Old Jul 20, 2021, 12:05 pm
747FC

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by 747FC
Had lunch today at the Hau Tree, and used this opportunity to assess your mother's taste in lobster rolls ...

First a bit about the roll composition: In addition to lobster, there is umami aioli, herbs, crispy prosciutto, and avocado. Served on a brioche bun. With a side of french fries.

My first impression of the roll was wow--why did they put bacon on top of it! As I continued to eat the roll, I got more impressed with the different flavors contained within and how the flavors were layered. The sandwich was very filling, and in the end, I was quite impressed with the lobster roll. The brioche bun was my favorite of all the lobster roll buns that I have tried of recent. The creamy avocado-- which was in the bottom layer was a great touch. I'm not sure about whether the prosciutto added or detracted from the experience. Next time, I think I will order it with the prosciutto on the side so I can experiment with how it alters the flavor profile. Next time I will ask if they can make the fries extra crispy. The fries were not too salty, which was a plus.

At $32 for the roll, these are not kamaaina prices, and is 33% more expensive than the rolls at Feast or Et Al. Definitely a more more complex version of a lobster roll, but if price is an object, then buyer beware.

FlyinHawaiian , mahalo for mentioning the Hau Tree option for rolls!
FlyinHawaiian : Always trust your mother! I went back to Hau Tree for another go of the lobster rolls. This time I was not at all impressed. Lobster was very chewy. Oh well, please let me know your mom's list of approved restaurants and menu items.