Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread (2020 and Onward)

Old Mar 5, 22, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Posts prior to 2020 may be found in the following archived thread with the note that several restaurants or bars referenced may no longer be open: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/700557-consolidated-hnl-honolulu-waikiki-oahu-restaurants-bars-thread.html
Print Wikipost

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread (2020 and Onward)

Old Sep 27, 22, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
LOL. No, the baklava is supposed to come with pistachio ice cream, but ours tasted like vanilla.
Next time, go nuts.

David

p.s. Ordered Mango Bread Pudding at a restaurant in Santa Fe, NM this past weekend. Tried what was served - 'twas Apple. Noted this to the waitress and she pulled it off our tab - 'tho I still tipped her on the original total.
Old Sep 28, 22, 12:29 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Next time, go nuts.

David

p.s. Ordered Mango Bread Pudding at a restaurant in Santa Fe, NM this past weekend. Tried what was served - 'twas Apple. Noted this to the waitress and she pulled it off our tab - 'tho I still tipped her on the original total.
This happens. Restaurant Aki served me salmon when I ordered butterfish misoyaki
Old Sep 28, 22, 8:38 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Last month, we did one of my favorite activities which is to attend Happy Hour at The House Without a Key at the Halekulani. Of note, they were soft-opening the new dinner menu that can be ordered; the “restaurant within the restaurant” is called Earl’s and reservations may be made separate from The House Without a Key.

We ate at Orchids after Happy Hour and the food and service were as expected; very good.

Our casual meals included Shiro’s for saimin, Fresh Catch in Kaneohe for poke and plate lunch, and Moku Kitchen for dinner. We also went to dim sum at Jade Dynasty at the Ala Moana Center on a weekday (would not want to battle the crowds on the weekends) and it was really, really good.

New find for us was Fujiya which is just south of King Street between Punahou and McCully. They make
really nice senbei, mochi (daifuku and chichi dango), and manju.
Old Sep 28, 22, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
Last month, we did one of my favorite activities which is to attend Happy Hour at The House Without a Key at the Halekulani. Of note, they were soft-opening the new dinner menu that can be ordered; the restaurant within the restaurant is called Earls and reservations may be made separate from The House Without a Key.
Thanks for posting about the House Without a Key as it is one of my favourites yet sometimes it's confusing to book.

It used to be (pre-Covid) that no bookings were taken. Then it changed to bookings for dinner tables only (the normal height tables, further away from the stage). Now it's bookings for all tables. I stopped there for lunch a few days ago but I didn't notice any separate areas -- is Earl the area further away from the stage?
Old Sep 28, 22, 7:36 pm

Earl is the space closer to the pool and bar (where the check in stand for House Without a Key used to be). The kitchen has a pizza oven so there are flatbreads on the menu along with $20-$30 entrees like fish tacos, ribs, and sushi rolls. The drink menu has also been reworked a bit. I was told if you are sitting out by the stage (where I like to be) and want to order of the Earl menu, you need to be re-seated further back.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 29, 22 at 11:37 am
Old Oct 2, 22, 6:23 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Excellent -- thank you. Will try that next time.
Old Oct 2, 22, 9:27 pm

I spent 25 days in Honolulu for work and this thread was very helpful for deciding where to eat. Some notes:

The good:
Mud Hen Water - excellent! Beet poke was great.
Feast - Very solid lobster roll and fries. The shwarma was also good but it's not really shwarma, more like grilled chicken.
Momosan - consistently solid for takeout in Waikiki.
Zigu - small Japanese place in the middle of Waikiki that I got takeout from a few times and which was always very good. The mochiko chicken plate is excellent.
Marugame Udon - there's a line out this place every night. I got it to go via an online order and it was legitimately delicious. The only problem with takeout is that they serve it in a large cup instead of a bowl.
Poke Fix Hawaii - solid poke in Waikiki.
Maguro Spot - another solid poke place in Waikiki.
Bella Banh Mi - best banh mi I have had outside of Hoi An.
Butcher and the Bird - one of the best cheesesteaks I have ever had.
Broken Boundary Brewery - beers are good. I only had the salad to eat, but it was fine.
Taqueria El Gallo Rosa (Kailua) - solid tacos.
Teishoku - had lunch here a few times because it was close to work.
Nico's at Pier 38 - ate here at least 6 times due to proximity to work and never had a bad meal there.

Ok:
Paris Cafe - decent banh mi, nowhere near as good as Bella. Cash only is annoying.
EARL Kaka'ako - This was ok. My friend that lives there assures me it's better than what I thought it was. Don't get the French Dip I guess.
Heavenly Island Lifestyle - another decent place in Waikiki.

Not good:
Tim Ho Wan - was not impressed compared to my experience in Singapore.
Maui Brewing Company (Waikiki) - not very good beer and food was bad.
Honolulu Beerworks - the 2 beers I had there were mediocre.
Hana Koa Brewery - I did have a good beer from here at the beer garden in Kahuku, but the Honolulu location didn't have good beer or food.
King of Thai Boat Noodles Waikiki - messed up my takeout order, then fixed it and it was still mediocre. The duck curry did not have nearly enough duck in it.

Overall I feel that Honolulu is probably one of the best food cities I have ever been to.
ExpatExp and 747FC like this.
Old Oct 13, 22, 4:39 pm

Finishing up my latest trip; visited were:

Moku Kitchen - ended up here a few times for lunch and diner due to convenience. Food is on point and my sister was over the moon (and under the table) on the mai tais with lilikoi foam. The generous Happy Hour (length and prices) is one of the best deals in town for food.

Quiora - This is the casual restaurant above the pool deck of the Ritz-Carlton Waikiki. My friend and I walked over from her place and had a lovely (albeit pricey) lunch, enjoying the views of Fort DeRussy and the ocean.

Kaimuki Superette - My mom and I had what turned out to be our last meal there as they are closing in a few days; some of the menu will transfer to Mud Hen Water starting next month. RIP

We also did a return visit to Roy's Eating House 1849 and it was a fine meal. We also tried and enjoyed Roy's GOEN Dining + Bar in Kailua Town (where the old Liberty House used to be) and were happy to know that will be a good option in the future.
Old Dec 16, 22, 1:01 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Really appreciate all suggestions and reviews above. I'm starting my research for our anniversary meal that we'll be in Oahu (Waikiki area) in mid January. It's our 2nd trip to this island so we have a fairly good idea of the area but would love if anyone has some strong recommendations for this special dinner. (It's 11th, so I don't need to go all out but at the same time -- nicer than a plate lunch pelase! ) TIA
Old Dec 16, 22, 2:54 pm

Orchids and La Mer at the Halekulani would be very high on my list for Waikiki. https://www.halekulani.com/dining/?g...xoCWwwQAvD_BwE
Old Dec 17, 22, 10:04 am

Cerberus : The ambience of The Kahala’s Hotel’s Plumeria Beach House can’t be matched (particularly if you are seated outside). While the food is not uniformly world-class, the views are. My favorites for dinner: Butterfish, Seafood Tower, Venison Burger, whole-cooked fish by the pound.
Old Dec 19, 22, 1:54 pm

Fantastic suggestions, thank you! I have a few to research now but it seems like I'm between Roys or Plumeria Beach House now.
Old Dec 19, 22, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
Cerberus : The ambience of The Kahalas Hotels Plumeria Beach House cant be matched (particularly if you are seated outside). While the food is not uniformly world-class, the views are. My favorites for dinner: Butterfish, Seafood Tower, Venison Burger, whole-cooked fish by the pound.
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Fantastic suggestions, thank you! I have a few to research now but it seems like I'm between Roys or Plumeria Beach House now.
Who has the better butterfish? That would be my choice. Nice views are everywhere.
Old Dec 19, 22, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis View Post
Who has the better butterfish? That would be my choice. Nice views are everywhere.
Roy’s of course! But despite that, Ms747FC and I keep taking our guests for the Oceanside seating, rather than the highway seating at Roy’s Hawai’i Kai.

Edit and note to OP: If the weather is bad, head to Roy’s.
FlyinHawaiian and ExpatExp like this.

Last edited by 747FC; Dec 19, 22 at 11:02 pm Reason: Weather advisory. Spelling
Old Dec 22, 22, 9:24 am

Now you guys really have me curious about the butterfish! I'm positive I've had it before in other places but I can't remember. I do know that I'm not really fond of the "meaty/steak-like" fish -- I prefer light, flakey, etc.

Just made my reservations at Roy's! Thank you all!

Search this Thread