Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread (2020 and Onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2022, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Posts prior to 2020 may be found in the following archived thread with the note that several restaurants or bars referenced may no longer be open: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/700557-consolidated-hnl-honolulu-waikiki-oahu-restaurants-bars-thread.html
Print Wikipost

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread (2020 and Onward)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2023, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Kapiolani Seafood Restaurant, 1538 Kapiolani Blvd (Ewa of First Hawaiian Bank, Diamond Head of Sam's Club/Walmart)-- the name says seafood but the dim sum is the real star of the place. Large tasty portions served fast. Parking is horrible but the parking lot seems to cycle pretty fast.

Harbor Village in the Hawaii Kai Shopping Center. Changed hands just before the pandemic but they kept the same great recipes for dim sum and noodles. My aunts love the e-mein and shrimp & chive dumplings. Owners also own Loco Moco in the same shopping center.

Red Elephant Thai in Kaimuki has struck an agreement with Mathnasium to use their lot after 7 PM so much easier parking. Restaurant has also been expanded a little with an open air patio area. I don't know if they changed cooks -- our meals were not as spicy as usual. I ordered Hot and think my dish was Medium. My brother ordered Medium and it seemed Mild to me.

Ululani's Shave Ice now on Oahu -- Kapahulu just makai of Leonard's Bakery next to On-On Chinese Restaurant. Same flavors, menus, and vibe as the Kihei location.
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 10:49 am

Programs: AA,UA,DL,HA
Our second visit to Olay's Thai Lao Cuisine 66 N Hotel St Honolulu was just as good as the first! Very impressive with a nice outdoor seating
area! Staff cheerfully provided setups and ice bucket etc as it's BYOB!
Old Dec 10, 2023, 11:03 am

The wife and I will be visiting the beautiful islands of Hawaii next week.
We will be staying at The Royal Hawaiian - Dec 17-20, then the Hilton Hawaiian Village Dec 28-Jan 2. In between, we will fly to Kauai. Looking forward to this trip, we have been to Oahu 3 times before, but last time was in 2013. First time in Kauai.

So, been planning and researching what to eat while we are here. We are a bit of 'foodie', with a preference on small plates, local farm to table, seafood, bbq rather than a 48 oz porterhouse. We like a good steak as well, but rather sample many dishes rather than 1 hunk of meat.
With that said, please critique some of the ones on our short list for dinner. For breakfast we will probably just grab something at the hotel or nearby cafe, lunch will be wherever is convenient, be it noodles, ramen, poke, sandwiches, etc....Dinner is where we will go all out if necessary, or we like a good hole in the wall as well. We will have a rental car, so ok with driving to find a worthwhile food.

Dec 17 Sunday - Our flight from YYZ don't land till 7:50pm, between getting our luggage, rental car, and checking into the hotel, will be pretty late, any suggestions for a late eat nearby?
Dec 19 Tuesday - Booked Senia for 9pm. That was the only availability I got for Senia during the days we are here. They say they close at 9:30, will a 9pm a la carte meal start be comfortable, or will they rush us out? and I should cancel and go somewhere else?
Dec 31 Sunday/NYE - Right now made a cancellable reservation at Bali's at HHV just for the convenience, but was looking at the Halekunai's NYE Ballroom dinner/party or House without a keys dinner. Any other suggestion for a NYE dinner/party?
Jan 2 Tuesday - We have a redeye flight out at 11pm back to YVR/YYZ. Figure this day would be good to try out Haleweia Joe's, get there maybe around 3-4pm and wait in line, have dinner, then have plenty of time to make our way to the airport? Seems sound?

Now the other nights, we are open, and just starting to research and make reservations, so far the shortlist are in no particular order:
Pai
Mud Hen Water
Nico's (Do they take reservations? how busy do they get?)
Pig and the Lady
House without a key
Yakitori Hachibei
Roy's Hawaii Kai
Beach House Moana
53 By the Sea
Fete
100 Sails
Michele's

Any comments on these, or others I should consider? Any that are similar to Hachibel? We like a nice Japanese bbq/skewers
Old Mar 18, 2024, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Has anybody been to natuRe waikiki? Thinking about a Waikiki evening for our next trip and it sounds interesting, although we'd probably go for the a la carte menu as we both are a little fussy.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by Commie
The wife and I will be visiting the beautiful islands of Hawaii next week.
How was your trip and where did you end up eating?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 20, 2024 at 5:05 am Reason: shortened full quote
Old Mar 24, 2024, 12:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by Calcifer
Has anybody been to natuRe waikiki? Thinking about a Waikiki evening for our next trip and it sounds interesting, although we'd probably go for the a la carte menu as we both are a little fussy.
It’s been a while, but have been there and enjoyed it. We were happier with the ala carte than a later visit with the prix fixe.
Calcifer likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I see Tex 808 finally re-opened their Hawaii Kai location on St. Patrick's Day.
Too bad the location at the Laylow in Waikiki didn't last, it was indeed very decent smoked meat.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Kimsbrand
What is the best coffee shop on Oahu? I've done some research and it seems that Arvo, Ars, Kona Coffee Purveyors, and Morning Glass are the places to be. Has someone here another special recommendation or can comment on those? I am looking for an excellent latte.
I really liked my latte at Ars (and overall vibe) on Monsarrat. As Calcifer noted, Arvo and 9Bar are great too. Another favorite in Waikiki is Banks Journal attached to the Surfjack hotel (weird house, but great coffee/gifty type shop)
Old Apr 8, 2024, 5:34 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
My favorite is Paia Fishmarket on Kuhio in Waikiki. Fresh fish fixed a variety of ways and excellent prices. Order at the counter, served at your table. During a two-week stay, I eat there 2-3 times. Also has a location in Kailua.

Last edited by linsj; Apr 8, 2024 at 5:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.