Wiki Posts
Search

Runway Damage/Repairs Impacting Kona Aiport (KOA) Flights [Early 2024]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2024, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Runway Damage/Repairs Impacting Kona Aiport (KOA) Flights [Early 2024]

FYI as of today 1/15/2024. Flights being turned around, or diverted.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
FYI as of today 1/15/2024. Flights being turned around, or diverted.
After all the mess with the 737-9 Max cancellations we finally rebooked on WN and are scheduled to arrive tomorrow afternoon. OMG. It just keeps getting better.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 9:43 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
More info here.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2024/0...le5KNF-dmM8eds

Kona’s international airport is closed “until further notice” after cracks were discovered on the runway Monday, triggering a growing number of flight delays.

The state Transportation Department said the airport shut down operations at 4:20 p.m. Monday.

“HDOT is measuring the usable runway length and will provide the information to airline operators to determine how to reopen the runway while restricting planes from the damaged areas,” the state said, in a release.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:12 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
You will probably either be redirected to Hilo or have to get a parachute and drop down gracefully.
tattikat2 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Lavarock7
You will probably either be redirected to Hilo or have to get a parachute and drop down gracefully.
I hope it's the former. Have a beer ready for me tomorrow---if we make it. <wink>
Lavarock7 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lavarock7
Surprisingly, so far no flights are diverted to ITO - all to HNL. I'm shocked at that... makes sense to me to fly to ITO and bus people over.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
HDOT Says the airport will remain closed tonight but they hope to have runway open tomorrow / sunrise.
MDTyKe likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Surprisingly, so far no flights are diverted to ITO - all to HNL. I'm shocked at that... makes sense to me to fly to ITO and bus people over.
I’m not, airlines that don’t have operations at ITO aren’t going to divert, looks like OGG and HNL are preferred. I agree with your logical thoughts though.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:10 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
I am seeing flights still available at Hawaiian and Delta websites but some classes listed as Sold Out. I am sure they will evaluate and find a good path through the cracks, and perhaps they have already done so.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:16 am

The Big problem is a 10'x10' hole which they hope to have patched up before sunrise.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 5:51 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I'm guessing only WN and HA have ground staff there. If this is a short-term thing - probably doesn't make sense to relocate ground crews there.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Update: As of 6:30am this morning, 1/16/2024, KOA has resumed operations. Continued repair work is expected to occur overnight tonight.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 17, 2024 at 2:44 pm Reason: edited to remove quote of now-deleted post
Old Jan 17, 2024, 2:46 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Thanks for the update; I've gone ahead and revised the title of this thread to reflect the current situation. Safe travel to all and let's hope for a nice and fully-repaired runway for the Kona flights.

FlyinHawaiian, Moderator
Hawaii (Travel) Forum
Old Feb 13, 2024, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Ah, so here we go. KOA is closed until noon today, 2/13, apparently taking longer than anticipated for the asphalt to cool. Delays and cancelations abound. Hopefully not indicative of how the longer repair work is going to be

Source: https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2024/0...irport-runway/
Old Feb 13, 2024, 2:41 pm

Ah, so here we go. KOA is closed until noon today, 2/13, apparently taking longer than anticipated for the asphalt to cool. Delays and cancelations abound. Hopefully not indicative of how the longer repair work is going to be

Source: https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2024/0...irport-runway/
These are also emergency repairs for this week not tied to the really big construction project slated for later in the year.

I'm at KOA now and it's a disaster. Except for the concessions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.