Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2020, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Quarantine / Test Changes Coming Soon

The Governor is going to unveil a new Emergency Proclamation to adjust the Pre-Travel Testing Program & Travel Quarantine. He's going to lower the mandatory quarantine period for those that opt not to test negatively before arrival from 14 days down to 10 days; this would be true for both trans-Pacific and interisland passengers. The governor also wants to include language that exempts those confirmed with the COVID vaccine from pre-travel testing and quarantine requirements; upon proof of successful vaccination, those people would be allowed to travel without dealing with tests and quarantines to/through the islands.

The Lt. Governor wants to expand the pre-travel testing window from 72 hours to 96 hours. It is not yet known for sure whether or not the Governor will fold that language/change into this new Emergency Proclamation due out next week.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Took my test Friday morning and flew out yesterday. Everything was fine when we landed yesterday afternoon. United announced the procedure including disembarking by row numbers and said we'd get screened including having our temperature taken -- maybe they had IR cameras on us as we came up the isolated gangway but there was no visible temperature screening, just a document check scanning my QR code and checking my ID card then comparing to their printout. Interestingly, she didn't like my retired military ID card and asked for something else -- no issues at all with my drivers license.

I am still doing a preventative 3 day quarantine in my mother's ohana unit (to her chagrin). Maybe it's overkill but she just turned 80 this past summer and I don't want to take any chances, particularly since I had no idea what was gong on with the other people at DEN or on the plane. Will be here for six weeks anyway, partially working remotely, partially burning off use-or-lose leave, so losing 3 days is no big deal. 2 weeks would have made me unhappy but more due to cabin fever than anything else.
The IR cameras were at the top of the jetway...just after you enter the actual terminal. In our case, there were also soldiers holding devices as well.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
.. The governor also wants to include language that exempts those confirmed with the COVID vaccine from pre-travel testing and quarantine requirements; upon proof of successful vaccination, those people would be allowed to travel without dealing with tests and quarantines to/through the islands.
not sure about PR aspect of this - vaccine passports are ethically iffy at least in the early days of limited access - essentially encouraging rich folks/nations to buy or elbow their way to shots to continue enjoying luxury travel while the rest will be waiting for access to vaccines
Old Dec 8, 2020, 10:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by azepine00
vaccine passports are ethically iffy at least in the early days of limited access - essentially encouraging rich folks/nations to buy or elbow their way to shots to continue enjoying luxury travel while the rest will be waiting for access to vaccines
Is this a true vaccine passport though? There are two other options - Covid test or quarantine. I get what you're saying but in these times it seems like anything to releive stress on the systems is a good move. For example, a vaccinated person taking testing resources for essentially no reason.

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
The governor also wants to include language that exempts those confirmed with the COVID vaccine from pre-travel testing and quarantine requirements; upon proof of successful vaccination, those people would be allowed to travel without dealing with tests and quarantines to/through the islands.
Do you know how long it takes for the vaccine to be effective after it's received? I couldn't find the answer online. This could cause a bit of a wrinkle since it would not only have to be verified that it was given but also when it was given. I see more waiting in lines with paperwork in hand in airports.... maybe different lines but still lines. A positive step though I suppose.

Last edited by mtofell; Dec 8, 2020 at 10:50 pm
Old Dec 8, 2020, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by mtofell
Do you know how long it takes for the vaccine to be effective after it's received? I couldn't find the answer online. This could cause a bit of a wrinkle since it would not only have to be verified that it was given but also when it was given. I see more waiting in lines with paperwork in hand in airports.... maybe different lines but still lines. A positive step though I suppose.
Remember that these vaccines do NOT offer 100% effectiveness.
tom911 and mtofell like this.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 11:30 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Yeah if vaccine passports encourage more people to get vaccinated, then they could be useful.

There are no easy ways to motivate vaccine compliance but travel could be one way.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtofell
The Pfizer data released Tuesday said ~50% effective ten days after first dose, goes up to 95% after second dose. Recall that the CDC had originally set the approval criteria for a vaccine at 50%, so while everyone should get both doses, this means that less than two weeks after the first shot the original criteria is already met.
​​​​​​https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...fizer.amp.html

Vaccines may not be 100% effective, but I feel pretty good about these numbers. I feel good about the flu shot every year too, and that's like 40% effective in some years, so maybe I'm just being overly optimistic here.
LETTERBOY and mtofell like this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 8:17 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by philemer
Remember that these vaccines do NOT offer 100% effectiveness.
You will struggle to find any vaccines that are 100% effective. And they don't need to be. If you get enough people vaccinated, isolate and control the much smaller outbreaks, then the bug struggles to survive anywhere, so the vaccine achieves its goal.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Quaratine period will be lowered to 10 days-effective date unknown

https://www.staradvertiser.com/

Trans-Pacific passengers arriving in Hawaii with no negative COVID-19 test results will face a 10-day quarantine instead of the current 14 days. Effective date still unknown.
nsx likes this.

Last edited by philemer; Dec 9, 2020 at 11:01 am
Old Dec 9, 2020, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
You will struggle to find any vaccines that are 100% effective. And they don't need to be. If you get enough people vaccinated, isolate and control the much smaller outbreaks, then the bug struggles to survive anywhere, so the vaccine achieves its goal.
I wish they would do more testing (hopefully somebody is) to get data that would allow positive antibody tests similar to vaccinations. I have no desire to get vaccinated and even if I did, I would think I should be pretty well down the priority list of who gets vaccinated.

FYI - My wife and daughter both tested positive for Covid (minor symptoms) back in late June/early July. I didn't get tested because I really didn't have any symptoms other than what I thought was a likely hangover (for good reason). I did get an antibody test in mid August that showed me positive for antibodies. My wife and daughter took antibody tests today and both came back with "Strong" antibodies. So out of curiosity, I am going to go get the same test done and see what mine says. (Additional info - my daughter and I both tested negative for antibodies the week before she tested positive for Covid. She thought she likely had the virus when off at college in March, so she wanted an antibody test and since I was with her I went ahead and took it as well.)
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: golden pleb
Can anyone comment on whether the definition of 72 hours is elapsed or on the clock hours?
I am ET based with a MT final leg on a Wednesday - the last tests I see on Sunday are 73 elapsed hours and 71 on the clock hours before.

Suppose this may be moot if the window is extended to 96 hours but wanted to have a backup plan ready!
thanks in advance
Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by silverbullet75
Can anyone comment on whether the definition of 72 hours is elapsed or on the clock hours?
I am ET based with a MT final leg on a Wednesday - the last tests I see on Sunday are 73 elapsed hours and 71 on the clock hours before.

Suppose this may be moot if the window is extended to 96 hours but wanted to have a backup plan ready!
thanks in advance
It is 72 hours elapsed time (or less) based on your departure time on your flight from the mainland to your first Hawaii port of entry. In other words, if you depart California at noon on Friday, you can take your test any time after noon Pacific time on Tuesday. If you are taking the test in NY, you can take the test any time after 3 PM Tuesday. So it is 72 hours or less elapsed time.

Just wanted to verify something in this ever changing environment of COVID testing and quarantine in Hawaii. Two questions:

-Is the Walgreen's Rapid Point of Care (POC) Test (ID NOW) acceptable for not having to quarantine if I receive a negative test?

-Is Walgreen's still on the Trusted Partners list? I ask this question only because I have seen labs dropped from the list almost weekly and did not know the current status.

TYIA for your insight!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 10, 2020 at 11:43 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Dec 10, 2020, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Just wanted to verify something in this ever changing environment of COVID testing and quarantine in Hawaii. Two questions:

-Is the Walgreen's Rapid Point of Care (POC) Test (ID NOW) acceptable for not having to quarantine if I receive a negative test?

-Is Walgreen's still on the Trusted Partners list? I ask this question only because I have seen labs dropped from the list almost weekly and did not know the current status.

TYIA for your insight!
You can see the trusted partners here (list updated 9DEC20):
https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Walgreens is still listed. If the Walgreens test is a NAAT test then it is acceptable. If you read back in the 72 hour test experience thread you will see reports from people regarding Walgreens tests including rapid tests.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by bluedemon211

-Is Walgreen's still on the Trusted Partners list?
Yes and Yes.

Per the Walgreens web site (https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/covid19/testing#!):
  • I’m traveling to Hawaii from the lower 48 states. What do I need to do?

The state of Hawaii requires visitors to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival or provide proof of a negative Covid-19 test, taken within 72 hours of departure. You must schedule an appointment with Walgreens to ensure your documentation is accepted by the state. The Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW) and Diagnostic Lab Test (PCR) provided by Walgreens are nucleic acid amplification tests (NAAT). Both types are approved by the state of Hawaii, however the turnaround results time may vary. The Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNOW) is not an approved test for travel to Hawaii. If you do not receive your results before your trip, follow the pre-travel requirements on the Hawaii Department of Health website: https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/getting-to-hawaii/ to understand quarantine requirements. For additional information about Walgreens as a trusted testing partner visit: https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/.

Please note: This requirement only applies to travel to the state of Hawaii from the lower 48 states.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Today's Changes

FyI, a private resident has agreed to foot the bill for the Big Island to continue its second airport testing when CARES funding runs out. Because of that, the island's new mayor said he will continue to test arriving passengers coming in at the airport who are participating in the pre-travel testing program.

Also, Maui Mayor has made a request to the Governor to have all bars closed on the island starting this weekend. Contact tracing shows clusters on island coming from bars and the Maui Mayor would like to shut them down for the balance of the week. Fortunately, he's content with how things our going otherwise and has no immediate plans to push for airport testing for this calendar year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.