Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Hawaii Overrated as a destination?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Is Hawaii Overrated as a destination?

I have never been to Hawaii, but have found myself with many HA miles. I'm debating whether its really that great of a destination for me. I've lived near the beaches of Miami all my life and it doesn't do much for me. From what I have heard of Hawaii, I get the impression that its touristy, many Japanese tourists, very overpriced, a 3rd world country outside of the tourist spots, and not much to do aside from the beaches. If I'm not into going to the beach, is it really worth going out there? What am I missing?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I seriously don't even know where/how to start responding to this.

I can tell you that you are 100% wrong.

Why don't you get a tour/guidebook and check out what there is to do on each of the individual islands? As well, NONE of the islands are like a 3rd world country. None.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Perhaps seeing the volcanoes would be interesting.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: LFFRS BOD
ouch..Nature is the big highlight, guess you need to head over to trip advisor or just google Hawaii on youtube and see what all the fuss is about.
Certainly nothing like Miami !

Which island are you planning to visit? Oahu yes is quite touristy but for a good reason, yes there are many Japanese that have basically purchased a majority of the real estate. (is that a problem?)

I took my family there when my boys were young ( 20 years ago) and we could fill everyday with somewhere to go and something to do and it wasn't laying on the beach.

Presently have a trip planned to Hawaii ( the big island) and husband and I are looking forward to all the splendor the island has, especially the volcano , snorkeling, whales to see, waterfalls, hiking and just generally relaxing in paradise.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63
I have never been to Hawaii, but have found myself with many HA miles. I'm debating whether its really that great of a destination for me. If I'm not into going to the beach, is it really worth going out there? What am I missing?
Paradise. A magical place of stunning beauty in its land, people, culture and aloha. Since we first set foot on the islands in 1997 ---- it keeps bringing us back frequently. We get misty eyed every time we board the flight back to the mainland. Aloha!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
I am on my sixth trip to Hawaii - all of them long (2-4 weeks). I've never been to Waikiki, only spend a couple of days hanging at the beach on each trip and I feel that I am barely scratching the surface of what is here.
Hawaii is beautiful, magical, sensual, and so much more. I would say that Hawaii is underrated as a destination, because most tourists only catch a glimpse of what is here to be enjoyed.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:18 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
... I get the impression that its touristy, many Japanese tourists, very overpriced, a 3rd world country outside of the tourist spots, and not much to do aside from the beaches.
If that is the experience you are seeking, one can get that with a little bit of effort. However, one can also get a vastly different experience by having an open mind, a willingness to do a little research, and seeking out places that do not fit the above. This forum is a good place to start to find the inforamtion that ensures you get the experience you are looking for.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:30 am
Original Poster

I guess I'll check it out. I hear the food is great. Glad to hear that the place hasn't gone to tourism hell. Whenever I go to the Bahamas, I feel like its a floating gift shop.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
I'm debating whether its really that great of a destination for me. I've lived near the beaches of Miami all my life and it doesn't do much for me. From what I have heard of Hawaii, I get the impression that its touristy, many Japanese tourists, very overpriced, a 3rd world country outside of the tourist spots, and not much to do aside from the beaches. If I'm not into going to the beach, is it really worth going out there? What am I missing?
there are touristy parts of hawaii, but certainly easy enough to avoid if you don't like touristy areas (although you are are tourist yourself and by going someone non-touristy make it more touristy, but hey). japanese tourists are easy to avoid outside oahu, and waikiki specifically, although i'm not sure what issues you have with japanese tourists vs other tourists. i don't find hawaii particularly expensive for most things, but then i live in socal, and there are lots of things to do beyond the beach.

i'm pretty sure i wouldn't describe any part of hawaii i've seen as like a 3rd world country.

in short, you've given us an idea of what you don't like. easy enough to avoid all that on hawaii. but is it worth going for you? well, you haven't told us what you actually like.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 2:55 pm

It depends what part of Hawaii. That's like saying "Is America overrated?" I'd say Honolulu is pretty average, but most of the rest of Hawaii is spectacular. Maui and Kauai are ridiculously incredible.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 6:15 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
hah...someone hating on japanese tourist...why does it matter where the "other people" are from...

3rd world country...interesting statement...i guess it depends on what OP definition of 3rd world country.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Woah woah woah, I don't have anything against Japanese tourists! I was simply saying that there's a lot of them, and that that is something that comes to mind when I think of Hawaii.

I do like hiking, mountains, kayaking. The volcano idea was pretty good. Also, checking out local wildlife seems cool.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:08 am

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
I have never been to Hawaii, but have found myself with many HA miles. I'm debating whether its really that great of a destination for me. I've lived near the beaches of Miami all my life and it doesn't do much for me. From what I have heard of Hawaii, I get the impression that its touristy, many Japanese tourists, very overpriced, a 3rd world country outside of the tourist spots, and not much to do aside from the beaches. If I'm not into going to the beach, is it really worth going out there? What am I missing?

I actually like Florida (although in my world, Florida is greeted with the same enthusiasm you are wondering about for Hawaii) but I completely get the question. It is a LONG trip for you and I don't blame you for wondering.

That said, the islands are lovely, the culture quite beautiful if you really get to know it and the light, air, music and weather are magical. BUT, imho the food is not that great at most restaurants (yes HNL and the really expensive places are good) and the real magic is in the more out of the way places.

Each island has its "cool" places but they all have plenty of beauty and outdoors. North shore of Oahu, Princeville in Kauai, the Big Island (lots of out of the way there), you get the idea. I spend as much time as I can there and Diamond Head on Oahu is the only place I have seen buses of tourists other than some of the chain hotels in places like Waikiki (which also has its own charm).

Would encourage you to try it. You must like beaches and that kind of atmosphere, so you may really appreciate the differences. Rent a condo in a place that seems to have enough of what you want and just settle in. Check out the local music and food and relax into the reason why so many people come here.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by bitachu

3rd world country...interesting statement...i guess it depends on what OP definition of 3rd world country.
OP seems to be a Miami resident....

Old Feb 27, 2013, 2:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 1 Million Miles, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Platinum, AA Citi Exec, Hilton Aspire, Bilt
Honolulu, and specifically Waikiki, is IMO the cheesy, overrun with simpleton tourist-hell that you seem to be describing and fearing. I took a trip to Kauai last June/July and it was truly a great experience and a great place; few tourists, high end, beautiful beaches/nature and good food. I specifically wanted to avoid Honolulu, however my Brasilian GF wanted to do some shopping so we did an overnight jaunt in the middle of our trip. The entire Honolulu experience was awful; stayed at the Royal Hawaiian (not impressed), ate at Moritmoto (a pathetic imitation of the New York version) and felt overwhelmed by the swarms of Japanese and other tourists; it was anything but relaxing and I felt an awesome wave of relief upon returning to Kauai. I will be returning to Kauai in May and enjoyed it so much I am making the long trip from EZE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.