Is Hawaii Overrated as a destination?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Hawaii Overrated as a destination?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Anyone have any suggestions on what is a good site to rent condos? I didn't see much on AirBnB
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:07 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...t=consolidated
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: LFFRS BOD
vrbo ( vacation rental by owner) also peek into tripadvisor for more options
Old Feb 27, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Some need easy vacations where everyone speaks english and service style and speed are quick. Hawaii is made for this. If you are more intrepid and want to experience something different then Hawaii is not for you.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 8:41 am

Answer to original Question. NO

Go and see for yourself.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rock Harders
Honolulu, and specifically Waikiki, is IMO the cheesy, overrun with simpleton tourist-hell that you seem to be describing and fearing. I took a trip to Kauai last June/July and it was truly a great experience and a great place; few tourists, high end, beautiful beaches/nature and good food. I specifically wanted to avoid Honolulu, however my Brasilian GF wanted to do some shopping so we did an overnight jaunt in the middle of our trip. The entire Honolulu experience was awful; stayed at the Royal Hawaiian (not impressed), ate at Moritmoto (a pathetic imitation of the New York version) and felt overwhelmed by the swarms of Japanese and other tourists; it was anything but relaxing and I felt an awesome wave of relief upon returning to Kauai. I will be returning to Kauai in May and enjoyed it so much I am making the long trip from EZE.
100% disagree about Waikiki. It is one of the most interesting places on earth, a beautiful beach surrounded by a metropolis 2500 miles from any other city. Beach, nightlife, restaurants, romance, shopping, it is all right at your fingertips. I love returning to Waikiki time after time. That being said the outer islands are also equally amazing and each has it's own unique charm. In short all of Hawaii is a wonderful and unique destination.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
To answer your question. No.

On she surface you can argue there is nothing special about Hawaii. Lots of places have beaches and shopping but that is on the surface.

The only way to find out if YOU think something is overrated (and that is the only opinion that matters) is to go and experience it. I dont think I regret going to any place I have ever traveled to but there are lots of places that I will never go back to. Hawaii is not one of them.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63
I have never been to Hawaii, but have found myself with many HA miles. I'm debating whether its really that great of a destination for me. I've lived near the beaches of Miami all my life and it doesn't do much for me. From what I have heard of Hawaii, I get the impression that its touristy, many Japanese tourists, very overpriced, a 3rd world country outside of the tourist spots, and not much to do aside from the beaches. If I'm not into going to the beach, is it really worth going out there? What am I missing?
I like Hawaii a lot. I wouldn't fly all the way from MIA to get there though. You've got the Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, and S America close by. But then you've got your "3rd World " problem. Maybe you should just fly to Liechtenstein - certainly not "3rd World", not "touristy", & no beaches !
Old Feb 27, 2013, 9:41 am

Florida resident here, north of Miami. We fly every year to Hawaii for the past 6 years now (2-3 weeks), Hawaii is a magical destination.

I've been to Oahu (honolulu) once and it is not a good representation to me of what Hawaii is.

Go to the Big Island or Kauai and be prepared to love the place. If you like the nightlife, it's not for you, but asides of that, there is so much to do, from volcanoes, to mountains to the beach...

You won't regret it... and not sure where that 3rd world comment came from...
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
100% disagree about Waikiki. It is one of the most interesting places on earth, a beautiful beach surrounded by a metropolis 2500 miles from any other city. Beach, nightlife, restaurants, romance, shopping, it is all right at your fingertips. I love returning to Waikiki time after time. That being said the outer islands are also equally amazing and each has it's own unique charm. In short all of Hawaii is a wonderful and unique destination.

++1

Yes it is all of those annoyances that one can tune into. BUT if you find a quiet hotel spot on the beach (like the Royal Hawaiian), don't shop or waste your time on the glitz, tune into the local music scene (the Halakulani House without a Key music and hula at sunset for example), and spend time sitting on your lanai the evening and walking on the beach in the early morning (you WILL be up if coming from anywhere east of Hawaii) it can be a very sweet place that is easy to get to and can be inexpensive. And again, if you avoid the shopping and major scene, there is much to access here.

There are many happy hours and a wide range of hotels and meal prices. From the west coast it is a decent 4 day weekend trip, but would think for an east coaster it could be a good first stop, using it as a time change transition space for a few days and then move on to a quieter island. If you want to cut down the "Waikiki factor" come Mon-Wed. Weekends are more hectic.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:07 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
I have never been to Hawaii, but have found myself with many HA miles. I'm debating whether its really that great of a destination for me. I've lived near the beaches of Miami all my life and it doesn't do much for me. From what I have heard of Hawaii, I get the impression that its touristy, many Japanese tourists, very overpriced, a 3rd world country outside of the tourist spots, and not much to do aside from the beaches. If I'm not into going to the beach, is it really worth going out there? What am I missing?
What have you been reading or have you been busy watching bounty hunter?

Sure Honolulu just like Miami has its crime areas and it's areas loaded with tourists and prices are jacked up on tourists.

Outside of Honolulu metro its beautiful. Each island is different.

Prices of things are higher because of shipping costs added onto items ( Alaska is the same )

The plant life is very unique because of its relative isolation.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
+1!

And Waikiki is 99.9% safe. In the evening, it is sort of like walking about in a local city festival. Of course if you hate people, this would be a negative. If I had never been to Hawaii, the Arizona Memorial would be on my bucket list.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Anyone have any suggestions on what is a good site to rent condos? I didn't see much on AirBnB
If you

I say focus on either Kauai or the big island. The big island has the only active volcano.

The big island is big. Think of the area of south Florida.driving to the volcano from the airport would be about driving from Miami to key west (3 hours no traffic).
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by 7Continents
Some need easy vacations where everyone speaks english and service style and speed are quick. Hawaii is made for this. If you are more intrepid and want to experience something different then Hawaii is not for you.
we're intrepid and love experiencing new things and new places.

we still looooovvvvveeeeee hawaii.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
From what I have heard of Hawaii, I get the impression that its touristy, many Japanese tourists, very overpriced, a 3rd world country outside of the tourist spots, and not much to do aside from the beaches. If I'm not into going to the beach, is it really worth going out there? What am I missing?
If you define "Hawaii" as the 10 square miles of Honolulu centered on Waikiki, then possibly. And sadly, too many tourists do.

If you look at the other 99.9% of the islands, then no.

I did Oahu and Waikiki on my first trip - had to get to Pearl, hike Diamond Head, etc., and I'm glad I did. But I will have been to Maui, Kaua'i and Hawai'i a combined 8 times after this summer, never going back to Oahu.

Those locations are nowhere near that description. I've been to at least a dozen Caribbean islands, including some non-touristy spots (Nevis, Saba, St. John). But Hawaii is still special enough that I'm spending the extra hours on flights yet again this summer.

It's not the Conde Naste #1 and #2 islands, plus 4 of the top 10, in the global Reader's Poll for nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.