Is Hawaii Overrated as a destination?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Hawaii Overrated as a destination?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2013, 4:52 pm
fwh

I'm thinking of going there soon. I certainly hope it's not overrated.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by fwh
I'm thinking of going there soon. I certainly hope it's not overrated.
It's not overrated.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 2:58 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Earthlings
It's not overrated.
Agreed. After visits to 45 other countries (which I know isn't much compared to others on FT), and tropical islands and beaches around the world, I'm still thrilled with Hawaii. In fact, I should plan my next visit…
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
I'm sitting on Waikiki Beach right now typing this. Nope, not overrated. But you might want to go to one of the other islands depending on your tastes.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Jealous!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:47 am

But, it's our last full day here.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by greg5
But, it's our last full day here.
Me too! Last full day on Kauai after the Merrie Monarch Festival in Hilo and then three weeks here.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:54 pm

Me too! Last full day on Kauai after the Merrie Monarch Festival in Hilo and then three weeks here.
We spent a couple of days in Hilo before heading over to Waikiki. Needed some time to see the Real Hawaii.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
We spent a couple of days in Hilo before heading over to Waikiki. Needed some time to see the Real Hawaii.
A different taste of Hawaii staying on rainy side of islands. On the Big Island, Kohala Coast gives guaranteed sun with only 8 inches of rain per year.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 4:32 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
..On the Big Island, Kohala Coast gives guaranteed sun with only 8 inches of rain per year.
And, if at a resort the whole time, virtually nothing of the experience of real people's lives in real Hawai`i.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:33 am

And, if at a resort the whole time, virtually nothing of the experience of real people's lives in real Hawai`i.
Exactly, and Saturday at the public market in Hilo is one of my favorite things to do in the islands.
Old May 8, 2013, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exactly, and Saturday at the public market in Hilo is one of my favorite things to do in the islands.
I should keep it a secret, but my favorite Hawaiian destination is probably the beach area SE of Pahoa on the Big Island, with access to Hilo and the National Park. Especially when I can rent a house with a private or semi-private thermal heated pool for cheaper than a room at a big resort in Kona. And not too rainy in that area. To me, that's "real Hawaii."
Old May 8, 2013, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
I should keep it a secret, but my favorite Hawaiian destination is probably the beach area SE of Pahoa on the Big Island, with access to Hilo and the National Park. Especially when I can rent a house with a private or semi-private thermal heated pool for cheaper than a room at a big resort in Kona. And not too rainy in that area. To me, that's "real Hawaii."
We stayed at a B&B in that area during the Merrie Monarch Festival in early April. The hotels in and around Hilo were completely sold out. It turned out to be fortuitous because we discovered a beautiful area that we might not otherwise have. The shoreline there is stunningly beautiful. After the Merrie Monarch, we were, as you suggest, in a good location to head to Volcanos National Park. I was going to keep it a secret, but secret's out now!
Old May 8, 2013, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
We stayed at a B&B in that area during the Merrie Monarch Festival in early April. The hotels in and around Hilo were completely sold out. It turned out to be fortuitous because we discovered a beautiful area that we might not otherwise have. The shoreline there is stunningly beautiful. After the Merrie Monarch, we were, as you suggest, in a good location to head to Volcanos National Park. I was going to keep it a secret, but secret's out now!
Yeah, I've been to the Merrie Monarch festival a few times (it's a long night, but an interesting experience -- you have to arrange tickets by X-mas time for Easter). I always stay along the southeast coast, as it's not a very long drive.

The folks staying at the big expensive resorts on the west side are silly, but there's not room for everybody on the east side!
Old May 8, 2013, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Yeah, I've been to the Merrie Monarch festival a few times (it's a long night, but an interesting experience -- you have to arrange tickets by X-mas time for Easter).
No, it's a loooooooonnnnng night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.