Reload this Page >

Is Hawaii Overrated as a destination?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Hawaii Overrated as a destination?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by CPRich

It's not the Conde Naste #1 and #2 islands, plus 4 of the top 10, in the global Reader's Poll for nothing.
They must not have bribed the writers enough...
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I'm late to the party here (and not to be overly snippy), but that question is better asked of Fl than HI. Hawaii is far more beautiful (mountains v. flat) and always warm (MIA can be 85 and beautiful or 85 and suffocating or 55 and raining, while Hawaii will almost always be between 70 and 85). All things being equal, unless you're going to see the mouse, there is no reason to choose FL over HI.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:30 pm

Something different from our beautiful beaches that you may enjoy would be to travel to the Big Island of Hawaii. Generally, this island is divided up into two sides, Kailua-Kona and Hilo. Both have airports.

I would recommend for you flying into Hilo and discovering the Volcano National Park where you can hike through lava tubes, witness steam vents coming from underground, and gaze into the open caldera glowing orange from lava. Through a tour company you might even be able to book a boat or helicopter ride out to see the lava flow into the ocean creating massive steam clouds (this depends where the lava flow is but it is absolutely incredible)

Also from Hilo it is easy drive to Akaka Falls and other majestic waterfalls.

I hope this helps. Aloha

-Shane
Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
As a fellow S. Florida resident I'd have to say if any part of the US is "third world", it's Miami....an entire city that qualifies as an occupied garbage dump with some of the dumbest, most ignorant people on the planet.

Hawai'i is another world - I am there multiple times a year and there is no place like it - comparing the Bahamas to Hawai'i is like comparing Wendy's to Ruth's Chris.

There are so many things to see and do in Hawai'i, you could visit there twice a year and spend a decade before you've seen half of what each island has to offer. I would suggest going to Barnes and Noble and spending a few hours leafing through the various guide books to get a sense of what each island has to offer.

While Waikiki is certainly a crowded tourist area, I'd spend time there in a heartbeat before south beach or Ft Lauderdale beach - yuck! What's worse are all the south florida tourists who walk around wearing Aloha shirts trying to pretend they're in Hawai'i.

I would focus your planning on Maui and the Big Island (November-April) or Kauai and the Big Island (May-October) - and this assumes you are looking for less crowded places that offer a significant number of natural and outdoor adventures including walking near flowing lava (with a private guide), or snorkeling among a pod of wild dolphins, or perhaps watching sunset and the most incredible night sky imaginable from the summit of the world's tallest mountain (measured from the base).

The nicer resort hotels on both islands offer quality and amenities that cannot be found elsewhere in the US...and if you have the budget, are well worth the splurge.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63
I have never been to Hawaii, but have found myself with many HA miles. I'm debating whether its really that great of a destination for me. I've lived near the beaches of Miami all my life and it doesn't do much for me. From what I have heard of Hawaii, I get the impression that its touristy, many Japanese tourists, very overpriced, a 3rd world country outside of the tourist spots, and not much to do aside from the beaches. If I'm not into going to the beach, is it really worth going out there? What am I missing?
We vacation in Hawaii because (1) its secluded and the weather is awesome, (2) its in the US (1st world country) so the services you know are there is you need it i.e. hospital (3) food is safe and there is always an excellent variety to choose (4) Hawaiian people are hospitable, welcoming and friendly.. I love the Hawaiian culture.

We've travelled to Mexico and Cuba for vacations. Great destinations, but with the crime in Mexico nowadays, Cuba being embargoed by the US.. the quality of life surrounding the resorts aren't the same when travelling with a 3 and 7 year old, so that's why we frequent Hawaii more than other places.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 9:28 am

The OP is so wrong regarding Hawaii as others have posted. Yes, like any vacation spot, it can and will be "touristy". As for Japanese visitors, they get great airfare and hotel rates to Oahu. Then, they SPEND THEIR MONEY! If any tourist wants to stay only on Oahu, so be it. Leaves the rest of the state uncongested.

Each island has it's own charm, including Oahu. I take offense that you called Hawaii a "3rd world country" and I don't even live there. Where in the world did you read that or get that idea? You mentioned that each time you travel to the Bahama's, etc. You like the Bahama's? OMG It thats not a third world country, I don't know what is. There is no comparision betweent the two.

I like going to the beaches in Florida and Hawaii but not in my home state. That said, when I am on vacation I don't lay out all day on the beach. Any vacation spot offer's so much to do, why lay on the beach all day and miss out.

Of course Hawaii is overpriced, AT THE RESORTS! So many people never go off site and then they belly ache about the prices of food and beverage. If you eat every night at the resorts restaraunts, you may go broke. But it you go down the road or even one block over from the main drag, and this is prevaluant on Oahu, you can save a ton. Like someone mentioned, Hawaii imports just about all products by ship or aircraft. That is costly when compared to the rest of the nation.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro (2MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT
Definitely agree with bocastephen. We have been to different islands once or twice a year for over 10 years now and have loved every minute despite the length of the flight. We have been to Florida and (Orlando, Jacksonville, Miami) and still prefer Hawaii. We have been to Oahu 3 times over the past couple of years and although it is what we lovingly call gridlock around the Waikiki area there are absolutely stunning areas on Oahu (Punchbowl, Diamond Head, North Shore). Yes, Oahu has plenty of Japanese tourists but when you consider how cheap it is for someone from Japan to vacation/shop in Hawaii how can you blame them? Kauai is the absolutely most beautiful part of the world we have been to when we consider Waimea Canyon and the Napili Coast. Kauai is the least touristy island of those we have been to (excluding Lanai) but traffic still seems heavy since most all roads are two lane. Maui is our 'go-to' island. Although it is more touristy than Kauai, it is much less than Oahu. Haleakala volcano sunrise on Maui is a got to do sight to see at least once in your life. The sights to see around Hilo and Kona on the Big Island are definitely something you have to see as well.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: UA, NW
I spent two summer sessions at the University of Hawaii-Manoa, and this summer I'll be attending a conference in Honolulu.

During those summer sessions, I visited the Big Island and Kauai, and I loved both of them. This summer will include a side trip to Maui.

Both Kauai and the Big Island have incredible geographical and climatic variety within a small area. Just for instance, there's a dusty town on the south coast of Kauai that gets only 25 inches of rainfall per year, but just a few miles inland, there's a spot that gets over 300 inches of rainfall per year.

With my background in Asian studies, I also enjoy the ethnic mix in the islands, the only state where Asian and Pacific Islanders are the majority.

But anyway, having been to both Florida and Hawaii, I'd say that Florida is flat and swampy and ugly, except where it's been artificially landscaped, but that Hawaii is naturally beautiful, with green mountains, waterfalls, volcanoes, sheer cliffs, black sand beaches, unique birds and plants, and all kinds of other good stuff.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:45 pm

How can the most beautiful state with the best weather be overrated?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Bishope2
Of course Hawaii is overpriced, AT THE RESORTS! So many people never go off site and then they belly ache about the prices of food and beverage. If you eat every night at the resorts restaraunts, you may go broke. But it you go down the road or even one block over from the main drag, and this is prevaluant on Oahu, you can save a ton. Like someone mentioned, Hawaii imports just about all products by ship or aircraft. That is costly when compared to the rest of the nation.
When we started going to Hawaii.. we couldn't really afford it, and went because we had benefits. In fact, my entire first and second stay at a resort was completely complimentary. So its how you work loyalty programs if you really want to be at a high profile resort. And we stayed in a suite at a 5 star.

Our flights from mainland over the past ten years have been largely on miles. We only paid for flights once. Interisland flights we pay for, but its worth every cent and quite affordable.

For those who are going to Hawaii, and are on a budget but want the space and a nice view.. I would look into condos.. You get more space for less price. I setup my parents at Maui Sunset in Kihei over Christmas Break Week in an ocean view condo when everything was sold out for $1,400 for the 7 nights. The flights were $350 pp tax in, and the rental vehicle was $250 for the full size.. This was 8 years ago.

Hawaii can be affordable.. and imo Hawaii seems to be more beautiful when you get great value for what you pay for.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Kauai or the Big Island would solve many of the reservations you have.

There are few Japanese tourists on either of them, they're much quieter and less touristy than Oahu and IMO, they have much more natural beauty than Oahu does.

Sadly, when a lot of people think of Hawaii, they only think of Oahu, and more specifically Waikiki, without realizing there are several other inhabited islands to explore.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Oah'u often gets a bad rap. On my last trip there on business in Waikiki, where I ended up having a great time after being underwhelmed on my first trip there, I insisted in driving some friends around the island.

There are many incredibly beautiful places on Oahu. Drive over the Pali for some of the most amazing razor sharp mountains in the the world, and then up the east side of the island. Sunset Beach and Haliewa and the North Shore are also pretty nice, as is the area around Dillingham airfield.

Waikiki can be fun, even if it's crowded, expensive, and touristy. But, it's a big city, and if you're looking for secluded beaches, it's not the place.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold
You've been given a lot of good advice. I live in Florida, too. But my husband and I go to Hawaii once or twice every year. It's my favorite place on earth. The picture you have of Hawaii is too general and it sounds like something from TV. Honolulu and Waikiki in general are busy - too busy for me. Oahu is good place to visit once, though, in order to see the USS Arizona memorial. We love Kauai, it's called the Garden Isle for good reason. The Big Island is unbelievable. To be able to see an active volcano upclose is amazing, not to be missed. Each island is very different from the others so you just can't broadbrush them with one description. Maybe you shouldn't go - you'd just be another tourist, after all! Or maybe you should - long trip - but well worth it in my opinion.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 7:18 pm

All this talk praising Hawaii as a destination and there has been no mention of Hula Pie! What's up with that? Found at TS restaurants on Maui, Oahu and Kauai it is a treat to savor.
If you visit the Big Island there is Mud Pie at the Kona Inn in downtown Kona.
Hula Pie cannot be found in Florida.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
I can't believe that I didn't reply to this thread, but I think I did.

I echo the comments of others here, that many people have no idea about Hawaii. Everything "friends" on the mainland told me about the state was wrong. Luckily I didn't listen.

Yes there are some differences. Some fast food franchises charge a bit more, because they have to ship specific items here from the mainland, but many stores do not charge much more than the mainland. We do pay more for milk and bread that is brought in, but you can find other items here at lower cost.

Yes, staying at a resort can be expensive, but then again, why do it? There are many other reasonable places to stay.

Each island is different and offers a different "vibe" but as mentioned, the locals are pretty laid back and the feeling of Aloha is all around.

Because of our mild weather year round, there are many activities that are not season-related. Also, we have many activities that are outdoors based and free. Unlike the mainland where you travel TO the beach, no matter which way you dive on our islands, you are headed to the beach!

We also have no specific season, so there are always flowers in bloom and things growing. Photographic opportunities abound.

With 11 of the worlds 13 climate zones, the Big Island offers a great adventure just driving around it. When my Mom visited here a few years back, we saw whales,, dolphins and big turtles all from one spot. We drove most of the way up the mountain so she could be 10,000 feet above sea level and experience some cold weather and see some observatories. She saw a live volcano, a rainforest, a desert, the plains, horses and waterfalls, all in one day. we didn't have time to see the white Bengal tiger on that trip.

Even in my rural part of the state we have a Macys, Walmart, K-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot, 3 (or is it 4?) Starbucks, Many McDonalds, Burger King, Wendys, an Imax theater. Many TV and movie stars make this state a home away from home. So I disagree with the OPs suggestion that Hawaii is a 3rd world country. Rather, it is a wonderful place to visit or live.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.