Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trump Waikiki Vs. Hyatt Regency Waikiki

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Trump Waikiki Vs. Hyatt Regency Waikiki

We are traveling to Oahu January 5 for 6 nights and can not seem to make up our minds on where to stay! We are 2 adults, looking for something near restaurants and the beach. Both hotels are same price, however, Hyatt includes breakfast each morning, 1 dinner and $100 credit. It seems like Trump is a bit nicer, so, any suggestions?
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:26 am

I personally prefer the Hyatt location. If the meals and allowance don't increase the price, they would definitely be the tie breaker.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
These hotels have a completely different atmosphere. The Hyatt is a typical middle level Hyatt resort with a group/package feel to it. Also quite dated.

The Trump is a new sleek property built to a luxury standard.

The Hyatt is more in the center of the action, but the Trump is easy walking distance and surrounded by plenty itself. I wouldn't give an edge to Hyatt as far access to quality restaurants. Trump is probably better, but we're only talking a couple of blocks. I don't think it's a significant consideration.

Beach accessibility is might be somewhat better from the Hyatt, but not bad from Trump (someone else will have to comment on this since I didn't use the beach when I stayed at Trump).

Personally, if I were traveling as a couple it would be no contest in favor of the Trump for the atmosphere and comfort of the room.

If you can get an upgrade at the Trump (probably not likely) their larger rooms & suites are spectacular.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:01 am

PS I took a peak at the Trump and it shows no availability for 3 of your days.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
PS I took a peak at the Trump and it shows no availability for 3 of your days.
Since all the Trump rooms are privately owned condos, there could be a lot of side deals through various channels that don't show up on the Trump web site.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

We would be renting from a vacation rental agency thru VRBO for Trump. The Hyatt is thru a Costco Package, and the rate is the same as the Trump, but it does include airport transportation, breakfast for 2 daily, $100 hotel credit and 1 dinner at Shore. Looking at pictures on Trip Advisor, Trump rooms look wonderful, it's going to be a tough decision! Thank you all for responding and for the useful info..
Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by mom22
We would be renting from a vacation rental agency thru VRBO for Trump. The Hyatt is thru a Costco Package, and the rate is the same as the Trump, but it does include airport transportation, breakfast for 2 daily, $100 hotel credit and 1 dinner at Shore. Looking at pictures on Trip Advisor, Trump rooms look wonderful, it's going to be a tough decision! Thank you all for responding and for the useful info..
This makes sense.
You really need to decide what is important to you. Trust me, there is no comparison in quality of the rooms. Hyatt isn't close to the same league. The Trump is worth a significant premium based solely if quality of the room is the determining factor. However, the other considerations may be more important to you.

Personally, being familiar with both properties, I would stay at Trump. If I wanted breakfast, there are a few very good choices nearby (skip the overpriced hotel breakfast). I also think all the rooms at Trump have nice kitchenettes (suites have fantastic full kitchens). I wouldn't care about the mediocre free dinner. The $100 resort credit is nice, but I would pay more than $100 for the much nicer Trump room and atmosphere. Taxi from airport is around $35.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can one get any kind of view from Trump?

Hyatt is a tall tower (two towers for that matter) and even mountain/city side view is usually quite attractive. Trump is not that tall and surrounded by other buildings

Hyatt pics are in this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...thread-85.html

I would personally pick hyatt even though I am sure Trump rooms are newer and better designed.

IIRC there is no beach near trump - you have to walk to RH on the left or towards hilton on the right.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
Can one get any kind of view from Trump?
Of course it depends on which floor and which side you are located on, but many of the views from Trump are drop dead gorgeous. If you face away from Diamondhead, it has one of the best views of the hilton fireworks on Fri nights (even from the lower level bar).
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:22 pm

I agree that Trump is in a different league from the Hyatt - gorgeous and with a definite feeling of luxury. I would recommend Trump for your case *but* I have to say that I absolutely love the beach-side Hyatt rooms. Falling asleep to the sound of the waves = amazing.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Huge Dilemma

I am also in a huge Dilemma people.

I will be in Oahu on Dec 27-Dec 30 on the second leg of my honeymoon before moving on to Kauai. I am currently double booked for those dates in both the Trump and Hyatt Regency and am not sure what to keep. They are almost the same rate where I am likely to be upgraded to an ocean view room in the Hyatt.

My room in the trump is a city view studio on the 12th floor. Can anyone give some advice on where I should stay?

Thank you
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by businessmachine
I am also in a huge Dilemma people.

I will be in Oahu on Dec 27-Dec 30 on the second leg of my honeymoon before moving on to Kauai. I am currently double booked for those dates in both the Trump and Hyatt Regency and am not sure what to keep. They are almost the same rate where I am likely to be upgraded to an ocean view room in the Hyatt.

My room in the trump is a city view studio on the 12th floor. Can anyone give some advice on where I should stay?

Thank you
You better check your cancellation policy - many resorts have 7-14 days during christmas/NY
Old Dec 20, 2011, 5:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by azepine00
You better check your cancellation policy - many resorts have 7-14 days during christmas/NY
I checked and the hyatt allows you to cancel without penatly 2 days before staying while the Trump allows me to cancel 3 nights before. Question is where to stay
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:38 pm

Trump is definitely more of a honeymoon kind of atmosphere. While both hotels will be sold out next week, Hyatt is likely to have many more kids running around. Trump is overall more serene with a luxury atmosphere with 5 star service.

IMHO, both are equally convenient to shopping, restaurants, etc. However, Hyatt has the advantage of being directly across the street from one of the best public beaches. Trump is only a block or so from the beach, but not quite the same.

Really, it's like comparing a Ritz Carlton to a Hyatt Regency. For a honeymoon, I think most would rather stay at Trump. With a family, there could be other arguments for the Hyatt.

While it's not the same as staring right at the ocean, most of the city view rooms at the Trump still have pretty nice views.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Thanks Jtrader. I am definitely leaning more towards the Trump as I fought hard to secure the rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.