Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trump Waikiki Vs. Hyatt Regency Waikiki

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2011, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jtrader
... With a family, there could be other arguments for the Hyatt.

Not sure - if Trump is all condo/studio with kitchenettes it may be a big plus for families. Old design of Hyatt makes it hard to have kids in the same room and there are almost no real suites there but rather adjoining rooms. Remember this Hyatt is not exactly resort-like but more of a city property.
The part i dislike the most about hyatt is lack of stand alone showers.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by azepine00
Not sure - if Trump is all condo/studio with kitchenettes it may be a big plus for families. Old design of Hyatt makes it hard to have kids in the same room and there are almost no real suites there but rather adjoining rooms. Remember this Hyatt is not exactly resort-like but more of a city property.
The part i dislike the most about hyatt is lack of stand alone showers.
The suites at Trump are really nice. The one bedrooms are quite large, have full kitchens, and washer/dryers. That, for sure, is nice for a family. In general, I don't think we'll be looking at comparable pricing for both pricing for both properties. Hard to imagine that most of the time Trump wouldn't be a significant premium to the Hyatt.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 3:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I'm also kind of in the same quandry, debating between Trump and the Halekulani for late February.

Any comments on which would be preferable?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jiaotze
I'm also kind of in the same quandry, debating between Trump and the Halekulani for late February.

Any comments on which would be preferable?
This is a much closer decision and depends on what is important to you. The standard rooms are overall better at Trump. However, YMMV depending on the exact room. Both have some fantastic suites and great views. Trump has kitchenettes in studios and full beautiful kitchens in suites.

The feel of the properties is very different. Trump is a high rise condo, 1 block from the beach, with a cool luxury feel. Halekulani is a much more expansive property right on the ocean. You are much more likely to encounter corporate groups and weddings around the Halekulani. The Trump will be more private. The only public space at the Trump is the bar & restaurant (albeit a very nice outdoor bar/lounge) and the pool. The Halekulani is a large more spread out property along the water, with beach access, and gorgeous views all over. There are several F&B outlets on property. Both are plenty close to lots of shopping, through Halekulani has retail on property too. Halekulani probably feels a more traditional Hawaii (this is somewhat subjective, but Trump could be an urban Ritz with great views).

It's really up to personal preference on what type of atmosphere and amenities you would prefer.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 5:48 pm

Thanks jtrader for your thoughts. My gut feeling was also that Trump is a bit more swish (maybe just because it is newer), while the Halekulani is somewhat more traditional and may be more steeped in the island atmosphere.

We are neither beach bums nor shoppers, so the comfort of the room, views, ease of check-in/check-out, parking, and service are more important to us.

It's only going to be for a three-night stay (and I'm redeeming miles instead of paying cash). The tradition of the Halekulani I find attractive, but I'm a little wary of getting one of the tired, non-renovated rooms. I'm also wondering how good a partial ocean view room will be. I was a bit surprised that Halekulani partial ocean rooms require more miles than a full ocean view Trump room.

On the other hand, I suppose we can try both places, since it seems that are just a few minutes from each other.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:56 pm

Thanks jtrader for your thoughts. My gut feeling was also that Trump is a bit more swish (maybe just because it is newer), while the Halekulani is somewhat more traditional and may be more steeped in the island atmosphere.

We are neither beach bums nor shoppers, so the comfort of the room, views, ease of check-in/check-out, parking, and service are more important to us.

It's only going to be for a three-night stay (and I'm redeeming miles instead of paying cash). The tradition of the Halekulani I find attractive, but I'm a little wary of getting one of the tired, non-renovated rooms. I'm also wondering how good a partial ocean view room will be. I was a bit surprised that Halekulani partial ocean rooms require more miles than a full ocean view Trump room.

On the other hand, I suppose we can try both places, since it seems that are just a few minutes from each other.
I think you've characterized the differences perfectly.
As to rooms, I'm not sure where the partial ocean rooms are at Halekulani, but you are right on the water there. You have more of a resort feel and are closer to nature there (although partial ocean could be way back and looking mostly at other rooms...you might want to get more detail). Trump is a high rise so you aren't right on top of the water. However, some of the rooms have spectacular views.

It's maybe a 3 minute walk from Trump to the entrance of the Halekulani.

If you zoom on google maps, you can see the layout of each property pretty well.

Last edited by jtrader; Dec 21, 2011 at 9:05 pm
Old Dec 23, 2011, 6:05 pm

Decided to go with an ocean view at the Halekulani. Figured that as long as we are in Hawaii we might as well as try to experience a more Hawaiiana vibe.

Thanks for your input jtrader.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 7:06 pm

Decided to go with an ocean view at the Halekulani. Figured that as long as we are in Hawaii we might as well as try to experience a more Hawaiiana vibe.

Thanks for your input jtrader.
That should be real nice and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. You should check out the rooms at Trump since it's only a couple of blocks away and let us know how you compare the two.

Have a great trip!
Old Dec 24, 2011, 7:18 pm

There's a map of exactly which rooms are which category somewhere on the Halekulani site.

We've been going to the Halekulani almost every year for the past 20 years. I'd pick the Halekulani every time. The service and friendliness of staff can't be beat. Also, the room style and decor is more or less unchanged in all that time so even when they refurbish, they replace it with identical decor. Rooms are also kept very well kept up.

Make sure you check their construction schedule however. We were there last September and they were starting some major refurbishments. They were doing the roofs while we were there and it was no big deal at all. They published their schedule of work and I recall some of the restaurants are going to be closed for a while.

If you plan on going to Sunday brunch, book your table now.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Room sizes sounds bigger at Trump..

But since this is a private condo deal.. two different markets.. so you get more room and interior decoration at Trump, but more service and meals at the Hyatt..

What are the prices, room sizes and views you are considering?
Old Dec 26, 2011, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Room sizes sounds bigger at Trump..

But since this is a private condo deal.. two different markets.. so you get more room and interior decoration at Trump, but more service and meals at the Hyatt..

What are the prices, room sizes and views you are considering?
Even though the Trump rooms are condos, they generally come with full hotel services. There is a hotel restaurant & lounge, as well as BLT Steakhouse on the ground floor. The concierge staff at Trump is also excellent and service is to a luxury standard. I wouldn't really say you get more service and meals at Hyatt. The only respect in which this is true is that Hyatt is a 1,000 room massive hotel that caters to all kinds of tourists and group travel. There are more organized activities and just more scale to everything.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jtrader
Even though the Trump rooms are condos, they generally come with full hotel services. There is a hotel restaurant & lounge, as well as BLT Steakhouse on the ground floor. The concierge staff at Trump is also excellent and service is to a luxury standard. I wouldn't really say you get more service and meals at Hyatt. The only respect in which this is true is that Hyatt is a 1,000 room massive hotel that caters to all kinds of tourists and group travel. There are more organized activities and just more scale to everything.
We will be in Honolulu on March 22nd, 2012 and haven't finalized accomodations.. we were considering Ko Olina Villas, and possibly a outside chance at Aulani depending on the deals anteed up.. but this Trump Tower I mentioned to my wife today and she's interested..

How big are the rooms.. how much for a nice ocean view?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Ex. PLT, Delta Diamond
I am heading to Trump for Pro Bowl weekend and I choose it over the hilton. Looking at all of the comments I hope you guys are right and it is worth the money. Anyone know where to get discounts or how to get them?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 1:06 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
I go to Trump all the time in Waikiki to eat. Been to their spa once.
Never stayed there as I have a place to stay in Hawaii.
Sat at the bar a few times also (coffee - I don't drink alcohol).
I spend a lot of time between Honolulu and Waikiki. Although my pad is on the other side of the island.

Great place. I'd put it over the Hilton big time, but that's my taste.

I do the same thing in Chicago. I never stay at Trump Chicago any more, but dine there and sit at the bar a few times. I have stayed at Trump Chicago.

As far as discounts? Man, good luck.

ONCE IN A WHILE, I see Trump Chicago on Hotels.com (or I may be thinking of Cheaptickets.com). Either or, I have NEVER seen Trump Waikiki on any discount system.
Shoot, I used to see the Grand Wailea on Maui on Cheaptickets for a really good price. Those days seem to be OVER.

Have a good trip!
Old Jan 10, 2012, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RobbieRunner
I go to Trump all the time in Waikiki to eat. Been to their spa once.
Never stayed there as I have a place to stay in Hawaii.
Sat at the bar a few times also (coffee - I don't drink alcohol).
I spend a lot of time between Honolulu and Waikiki. Although my pad is on the other side of the island.

Great place. I'd put it over the Hilton big time, but that's my taste.

I do the same thing in Chicago. I never stay at Trump Chicago any more, but dine there and sit at the bar a few times. I have stayed at Trump Chicago.

As far as discounts? Man, good luck.

ONCE IN A WHILE, I see Trump Chicago on Hotels.com (or I may be thinking of Cheaptickets.com). Either or, I have NEVER seen Trump Waikiki on any discount system.
Shoot, I used to see the Grand Wailea on Maui on Cheaptickets for a really good price. Those days seem to be OVER.

Have a good trip!
Grand Wailea for a good price? What's a good price?

I think GW rates have come down since their foreclosure..

Officially, I've got 5 nights on HNL.. and actively looking.. Halekulani.. checked out Hilton Hawaiian Village.. Aulani is out of sorts.. still need to check out the Trump.. my wife wants to stay in one.. I was going to look into Trump in NY, but booked 6 nights at the Plaza instead..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.