Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Mai Tais and Newspapers in F: LAX-HNL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2004, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE

Aloha all,

Does anyone know if Mai Tais and newspapers are offered LAX-HNL in the First Class cabin? Also, do the seats have footrests?

Finally, what is the Lava Sundae (what topppings are available)?

Mahalo.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 8:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
Aloha all,

Does anyone know if Mai Tais and newspapers are offered LAX-HNL in the First Class cabin? Also, do the seats have footrests?

Finally, what is the Lava Sundae (what topppings are available)?

Mahalo.

Yes, you can have all the Mai Tai's you can drink, fresh-made, too. Not the bottled variety you buy in the back of the bus. Always lots of newspapers, too.

And yes, every seat has a foot rest. The seats are pretty narrow, though. 2-2-2 configuration on a 767 vs. 2-3-2 in economy. If you don't need the space in front of you for a carry-on, I highly recommend the bulkhead on one side or the other. The seat pitch isn't that great, so that extra space in front of you seems pretty huge. Don't do bulk-head in the center section, though, as HA has a number of the older planes without a bulkhead -- you're just kind of out there in the center of things. Fortunately, I've never been stuck with it, but it looks very uncomfortable. There's no way to know if you'll get one of those aircraft, so it's best to avoid those seats.

I've only had the Lava Sundae once -- last year some time. I'm not sure they serve it any more, as I haven't seen it on a flight recently. There were no choices of toppings. It comes with the berry (either raspberry or blackberry, I forget) already in it. If memory serves, it has vanilla ice cream and coconut in it as well. It's very good, I do remember that! HA's food service is definitely the highlight of the flight, in first class, anyway.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Too bad they don't do lava flow cocktails - they are sooo good.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Yes, you can have all the Mai Tai's you can drink, fresh-made, too. Not the bottled variety you buy in the back of the bus. Always lots of newspapers, too.

And yes, every seat has a foot rest. The seats are pretty narrow, though. 2-2-2 configuration on a 767 vs. 2-3-2 in economy. If you don't need the space in front of you for a carry-on, I highly recommend the bulkhead on one side or the other. The seat pitch isn't that great, so that extra space in front of you seems pretty huge. Don't do bulk-head in the center section, though, as HA has a number of the older planes without a bulkhead -- you're just kind of out there in the center of things. Fortunately, I've never been stuck with it, but it looks very uncomfortable. There's no way to know if you'll get one of those aircraft, so it's best to avoid those seats.

I've only had the Lava Sundae once -- last year some time. I'm not sure they serve it any more, as I haven't seen it on a flight recently. There were no choices of toppings. It comes with the berry (either raspberry or blackberry, I forget) already in it. If memory serves, it has vanilla ice cream and coconut in it as well. It's very good, I do remember that! HA's food service is definitely the highlight of the flight, in first class, anyway.
Hello AZ Travels,

I have been lurking here a little while and just registered. I appreciate this website very much. I had been searching for info on HA 1st class and the info you gave above is the best I've found thus far. My wife and I just took advantage of the first class specials they are running and paid about $1200 RT each for a PHX-OGG trip in Nov. I was wondering what kind of entertainment is on board...personal seat TV screens or not? What kind of selection? I have flown NW 1st class to HNL before and thought it was OK, nothing great. Thanks again for any more input you may have.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by ibdsux
Hello AZ Travels,

I have been lurking here a little while and just registered. I appreciate this website very much. I had been searching for info on HA 1st class and the info you gave above is the best I've found thus far. My wife and I just took advantage of the first class specials they are running and paid about $1200 RT each for a PHX-OGG trip in Nov. I was wondering what kind of entertainment is on board...personal seat TV screens or not? What kind of selection? I have flown NW 1st class to HNL before and thought it was OK, nothing great. Thanks again for any more input you may have.
I sure hope you mind others butting in and answering as well, since this is a community and all can share one's knowledge. PS: Welcome to Flyertalk.

There are no private TVs on any of HAs flights. Just as well, a selection of movie screenings can be found on HA's website:

http://www.hawaiianair.com/about/services/movies.asp

Raising Helen and Harry Potter seem to be this month's featured titles.

Best of luck and aloha
Old Sep 2, 2004, 5:39 pm

Thanks for the welcome and the answer. Butt in any time.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 12:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ibdsux
Hello AZ Travels,

Greetings, ibdsux, thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you're enjoying FT. I remember when I first stumbled upon it. I couldn't believe there were so many people around with the same fascinations surrounding travel, miles, points and angles for doing it all in a First Class kinda way. And slippahs, you're free to jump in any time -- you're always so helpful with your knowledge and insights.

Back to the question at hand, ibdsux, in my view, the in-flight entertainment is not the high point of HA's service. You're essentially watching the one movie that's offered throughout the plane, on a common screen. There was talk some time back about HA introducing individual movie players that can be rented in economy and that would be free to first class passengers. They weren't around as of my last trip in mid-July and I don't know if they're still in the works or not. Perhaps slippahs has heard something about this. ??

Overall, I think you will enjoy the PHX-HNL service. It is a very pleasant experience. The return trip is something of a grind, being a red-eye and all. I sometimes choose to take the first AM flight to LAX, then connect to PHX, just to avoid that overnight experience. I sleep fairly well on planes but HA's first class seats aren't all that big and/or comfortable and the flight isn't really long enough for a full sleep, so you can end up pretty wasted when you arrive in PHX in the early morning. Makes for a tough day, in my experience.

Have a great time. Doing HA First Class is a nice way to frame a trip a trip to one of the best places on the planet. Don't hesitate to ask if you think of any more questions!
Old Sep 5, 2004, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
They weren't around as of my last trip in mid-July and I don't know if they're still in the works or not. Perhaps slippahs has heard something about this. ??
Sure have and have posted re: portable movie players in F:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337211

aloha
Old Sep 7, 2004, 2:32 pm

Greetings, ibdsux, thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you're enjoying FT. I remember when I first stumbled upon it. I couldn't believe there were so many people around with the same fascinations surrounding travel, miles, points and angles for doing it all in a First Class kinda way. And slippahs, you're free to jump in any time -- you're always so helpful with your knowledge and insights.

Back to the question at hand, ibdsux, in my view, the in-flight entertainment is not the high point of HA's service. You're essentially watching the one movie that's offered throughout the plane, on a common screen. There was talk some time back about HA introducing individual movie players that can be rented in economy and that would be free to first class passengers. They weren't around as of my last trip in mid-July and I don't know if they're still in the works or not. Perhaps slippahs has heard something about this. ??

Overall, I think you will enjoy the PHX-HNL service. It is a very pleasant experience. The return trip is something of a grind, being a red-eye and all. I sometimes choose to take the first AM flight to LAX, then connect to PHX, just to avoid that overnight experience. I sleep fairly well on planes but HA's first class seats aren't all that big and/or comfortable and the flight isn't really long enough for a full sleep, so you can end up pretty wasted when you arrive in PHX in the early morning. Makes for a tough day, in my experience.

Have a great time. Doing HA First Class is a nice way to frame a trip a trip to one of the best places on the planet. Don't hesitate to ask if you think of any more questions!

Thanks for the reply. Very helpful info. Wife and I can't wait!
Old Sep 9, 2004, 9:02 am

First Post with Question for you!

My very "first" first class experience was on Hawaiian Airlines just over a year ago SEA-OGG. Champagne, Mai Tais, really good food. I will now never be happy in coach again. The trip is long enough to drink too much, sleep it off and drink again! We were treated outstandingly. In row 1 there is enough room to stand in front of your seat and stretch. You will love it.

Last edited by bnalexander; Sep 9, 2004 at 9:39 am Reason: Sorry, I misread the price info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.