Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "First Class on Hawaiian Air A330-200 (Seats/Meals/Etc.)" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "First Class on Hawaiian Air A330-200 (Seats/Meals/Etc.)" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:37 am

Is back more preferable than front in general? Poking around expertdlyer seems that the back rows get filled first, with the middle seats in row 3 getting occupied first.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:54 am

I really think that is personal preference. Some ppl find the bulkhead makes the cabin feel smaller, so they like to sit back. Others might like to order food first so sit front. Other like the back because they think it means less galley noise or foot traffic to the lavs. But this is a relatively small cabin with no walls/dividers so I don’t think it makes a huge difference for most routes unless you are on the New York flight.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Thought I would resurrect this thread with my observations overall in F and the seat.

Flew LAS-HNL 12/1.

The Bad: Far more expensive than the competition with the only benefit being the nonstop (which for many important - but still a $300 price premium over UA via LAX or SFO also with a lie flat seems excessive). Had a seat in row 1 in the middle section - boarded with someone already poaching it to sit with his wife, with his stuff already in my seat and him parked in it, with Covid concerns reluctantly took his row 2 aisle seat not in the middle section. Immediately noticed the lack of padding - and then the funky footrest thing that I realized I'd have to use for a lie flat function with my seat practically stuck in the aisle. It is just a weird setup. It took me awhile to notice no entertainment system built into the seat - just some massive metal rod you pull out - while you wait awhile for the iPad to be distributed (then taken away well before landing). Entertainment choices not robust - and some of the TV documentaries only have Part 1, like Lance and Last Dance. Just Part 1? Everyone got the same breakfast choice, the Cheese Blintzes with Berry Sauce are mostly Berry. The Chicken Apple Sausage was smaller than a small women's pinky. Could not sleep in that lie flat seat, was just uncomfortable with lack of padding and funky footrest - when upright a tight fit from elbow to elbow. The seat has only 1 control. 1 restroom at the front of the plane. My back is still sore from the seat and that doesn't happen.

To be fair, The Good. While lack of built in seat entertainment is poor - at least the iPad is very large (albeit you need to plug it in and not a lot of movies/TV). My seatmate in the Window could get out to the Aisle relatively easily due to the footrest. Printed menu. The Pineapple Vanilla Shortcake was actually very good. Lots of fruit. Everyone is very friendly. Full drink menu with unique items. I landed safely.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 1:19 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Thought I would resurrect this thread with my observations overall in F and the seat.

Flew LAS-HNL 12/1.

The Bad: Far more expensive than the competition with the only benefit being the nonstop (which for many important - but still a $300 price premium over UA via LAX or SFO also with a lie flat seems excessive). Had a seat in row 1 in the middle section - boarded with someone already poaching it to sit with his wife, with his stuff already in my seat and him parked in it, with Covid concerns reluctantly took his row 2 aisle seat not in the middle section. Immediately noticed the lack of padding - and then the funky footrest thing that I realized I'd have to use for a lie flat function with my seat practically stuck in the aisle. It is just a weird setup. It took me awhile to notice no entertainment system built into the seat - just some massive metal rod you pull out - while you wait awhile for the iPad to be distributed (then taken away well before landing). Entertainment choices not robust - and some of the TV documentaries only have Part 1, like Lance and Last Dance. Just Part 1? Everyone got the same breakfast choice, the Cheese Blintzes with Berry Sauce are mostly Berry. The Chicken Apple Sausage was smaller than a small women's pinky. Could not sleep in that lie flat seat, was just uncomfortable with lack of padding and funky footrest - when upright a tight fit from elbow to elbow. The seat has only 1 control. 1 restroom at the front of the plane. My back is still sore from the seat and that doesn't happen.

To be fair, The Good. While lack of built in seat entertainment is poor - at least the iPad is very large (albeit you need to plug it in and not a lot of movies/TV). My seatmate in the Window could get out to the Aisle relatively easily due to the footrest. Printed menu. The Pineapple Vanilla Shortcake was actually very good. Lots of fruit. Everyone is very friendly. Full drink menu with unique items. I landed safely.
Just curious: With 4M Miles on UA, would you prefer their 777 Hawaii lie flat or HA’s?
Old Dec 4, 2020, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Just curious: With 4M Miles on UA, would you prefer their 777 Hawaii lie flat or HA’s?
I took the HA due to 36 hour COVID test turnaround with a partner in LAS. A clear first world problem - I don't see myself in that HA seat again unless they somehow got price competitive - they are way way off the mark. My rt trip in a couple of weeks back to LAS on UA is literally less than 50% of HA's price in F, with the trans-pacific legs in a lie flat seat. Maybe HA really does get $950-$1250 each way from the nonstop, or maybe it is upgrades - if they get that in revenue, more power to them - they wanted an eye popping over 80,000 miles each way in F.

On UA 100% of the time I sleep perfectly on the 777-200 seats from SFO or LAX, many people complain about the 4 across seats in the middle, but I have no issue - they are well padded, have a large entertainment system built in right in front of you - and feel almost bed like when in lie flat mode - they also have multiple controls for the seat, not a single wheel to advance it back/forward. Sometimes you get lucky with the 777-300, no US carrier to Hawaii from the mainland has anything close - it is a spectacular private seat. My only issue with UA seats is when they run the 767-400 from EWR-HNL, it has this small footwell - but I even prefer that. As you said, I am a 4MM on UA - maybe I am a creature of habit. I posted on this thread simply because it already existed and concur.

Take away the seat - the HA service is very good and of course a nonstop has a huge benefit. One thing I did not mention in the good is the plane literally looked brand new inside and out - it almost seemed like an inaugural flight. I just think HA missed the mark on the type of seat they chose - I don't know, maybe it is a limitation of the A330 dimensions. I believe the main driver for HA to go lie flat was pressure from the international carriers coming into HNL with mostly lie flat, to be fair - I don't know how JAL, ANA, Qantas, etc seats compare and maybe that was based in the decision of the seat they chose.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 1:30 pm
azj

Having flown both the UA 777 lie-flat and the HAL 330 lie-flat, I actually like them both. The service and food is always consistently better on HAL, but UA wins for IFE. The UA seat seems more plush and soft, whereas the HAL seat is more firm, but I still get good rest. When flying international on HAL, there is better bedding including a mattress pad, better pillow and duvet. As opposed to the domestic blanket and pillow. The HAL seat, with the control dial, allows you to set the seat in any position you want, which is really nice. Of course, the new Polaris seats are better than both of the above. From what I hear, the HAL 787's will have a new cabin concept, especially in international business/domestic F.

As for nonstop premiums... every airline prices their nonstops that way. Pre COVID HAL had almost 3 flights/day to LAS from HNL on 330's, so obviously people are willing to pay for a nonstop. Those flights were almost always packed, a staff travel nightmare apparently, according to friends. Free upgrades are rare on HAL, with the cabin generally selling out at full fare. I'd happily pay a nonstop premium for JFK, BOS or other long haul's. LAS though, is a bit of a different animal with so many efficient connections whose elapsed time isn't much longer than HAL's nonstop. YMMV right?

Last edited by azj; Dec 4, 2020 at 1:47 pm
Old Dec 5, 2020, 11:02 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Originally Posted by Colin
but who really flies to Hawaii by one’s self?

Or people who live here.... That is a bit of an ignorant comment
Old Dec 6, 2020, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I took the HA due to 36 hour COVID test turnaround with a partner in LAS. A clear first world problem - I don't see myself in that HA seat again unless they somehow got price competitive - they are way way off the mark. My rt trip in a couple of weeks back to LAS on UA is literally less than 50% of HA's price in F, with the trans-pacific legs in a lie flat seat. Maybe HA really does get $950-$1250 each way from the nonstop, or maybe it is upgrades - if they get that in revenue, more power to them - they wanted an eye popping over 80,000 miles each way in F.

On UA 100% of the time I sleep perfectly on the 777-200 seats from SFO or LAX, many people complain about the 4 across seats in the middle, but I have no issue - they are well padded, have a large entertainment system built in right in front of you - and feel almost bed like when in lie flat mode - they also have multiple controls for the seat, not a single wheel to advance it back/forward. Sometimes you get lucky with the 777-300, no US carrier to Hawaii from the mainland has anything close - it is a spectacular private seat. My only issue with UA seats is when they run the 767-400 from EWR-HNL, it has this small footwell - but I even prefer that. As you said, I am a 4MM on UA - maybe I am a creature of habit. I posted on this thread simply because it already existed and concur.

Take away the seat - the HA service is very good and of course a nonstop has a huge benefit. One thing I did not mention in the good is the plane literally looked brand new inside and out - it almost seemed like an inaugural flight. I just think HA missed the mark on the type of seat they chose - I don't know, maybe it is a limitation of the A330 dimensions. I believe the main driver for HA to go lie flat was pressure from the international carriers coming into HNL with mostly lie flat, to be fair - I don't know how JAL, ANA, Qantas, etc seats compare and maybe that was based in the decision of the seat they chose.
Thanks for your insights.

I'm no fan of HA's A330 (seats are hard; AVOD difficult and needs to be distributed and collected), and aisle-side armrest does not drop down to allow easy access to aisle.). I do like that there are only 18 seats in the group as opposed to the doubling of seats with UA's 777-200 and their four-complex middle section.

HA's planes are a lot newer and better-maintained than UAs.

HA's FAs are typically perkier, but the UA attendants to/from Hawaii are usually pretty good compared to some of the more mature FAs flying internationally.

I actually like the 767-400 to EWR, where I choose the single middle seat. Access to both aisles along with drop-down armrest. Pull out my plush Polaris eyeshades, pop an Ambien, and I'm good to go!
Old Dec 7, 2020, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by azj
YMMV right?
Yes, Competition is good - I hope all the airlines find a way to thrive in these unprecedented times.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 8:10 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by azj
Having flown both the UA 777 lie-flat and the HAL 330 lie-flat, I actually like them both. The service and food is always consistently better on HAL, but UA wins for IFE. The UA seat seems more plush and soft, whereas the HAL seat is more firm, but I still get good rest. When flying international on HAL, there is better bedding including a mattress pad, better pillow and duvet. As opposed to the domestic blanket and pillow. The HAL seat, with the control dial, allows you to set the seat in any position you want, which is really nice. Of course, the new Polaris seats are better than both of the above. From what I hear, the HAL 787's will have a new cabin concept, especially in international business/domestic F.

As for nonstop premiums... every airline prices their nonstops that way. Pre COVID HAL had almost 3 flights/day to LAS from HNL on 330's, so obviously people are willing to pay for a nonstop. Those flights were almost always packed, a staff travel nightmare apparently, according to friends. Free upgrades are rare on HAL, with the cabin generally selling out at full fare. I'd happily pay a nonstop premium for JFK, BOS or other long haul's. LAS though, is a bit of a different animal with so many efficient connections whose elapsed time isn't much longer than HAL's nonstop. YMMV right?
Also would note that BOS and JFK get the same upgraded amenities as the international stations (they did pre-COVID anyway) -- a "mattress pad" which goes over the seat and helps somewhat with the firmness of the seat, and a much bigger pillow and nicer blanket. On routes where those amenities are offered I think the downsides of the seat are significantly reduced, though not eliminated. But what they offer on the west coast routes is nowhere near as comfortable, unfortunately.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 1:14 am

Flew solo all the time for biz when I lived on Oahu. Best seat was UA 787 (very convenient integrated bassinet where 4mo old slept like a baby almost the entire flight to Tokyo) with Delta a330 a close second (redeye to ATL). Never did get to try KE 747-8 F and might never now. Scheduled for ANA 380 in F late March but that will be subject to COVID of course. Flew HA “F” all the time to the west coast and here and there to PHX and JFK - sure it could be better but it’s not all that bad. 787 config will be a big step up no doubt. HA is starting flights to Austin (new home base) this spring so looking fwd to the a330 flight this summer (would be great if they switched these longer flights to the 787 down the road). In the meantime flying AA 787 (connecting in Dallas) which I would take over the UA 777-200 8-across joke any day.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by pesos
HA is starting flights to Austin (new home base) this spring so looking fwd to the a330 flight this summer (would be great if they switched these longer flights to the 787 down the road).
When I tested a few dates to Austin, they were all incoming on Jet Blue, connecting with HA on the West Coast. Did you find non-stops?
Old Dec 13, 2020, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
When I tested a few dates to Austin, they were all incoming on Jet Blue, connecting with HA on the West Coast. Did you find non-stops?
flights start 4/21. I booked for July. Twice weekly.
747FC likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Was not impressed by the overly warm temperatures and lack of overhead airvents on my recent flight to JFK. Flight attendants were not really attentive or interested in proactively offering beverage refills.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 11:31 pm

Any thoughts on best row in first class? Wife and daughter are taking two window seats and I'm next to them in the middle pair.
Currently have 1A, 1B, and 1C.

Any disadvantages to the first row?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.