Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "First Class on Hawaiian Air A330-200 (Seats/Meals/Etc.)" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:53 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by warren8525
What do you think of flying solo in the window seat? I heard that there's a gap between the footrest and the seat in front that you can squeeze by to get out without disturbing the aisle passenger.
There is, though if the passenger is any taller than 5'8" or so and is fully reclined, you'll likely still have to climb over their feet since the front of the footrest is totally open so one's feet can easily hang off the front of it. If you're reasonably limber, it's not too difficult though.

The center pair of seats has the advantage of being direct aisle access, but the pairs by the window -- especially in rows 2 and 3 -- have the advantage of having more room/length when fully reclined, because the center pairs of seats are closer to each other because there's no need for that little "walkway" in front of the footrest.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Colin
i love the HA flat beds, row 2.
i even love the entertainment rod to watch my own iPad content.
not ideal if alone, but who really flies to Hawaii by one’s self?
only complaint is that HA should provide proper intl J style pillows & blankets on mainland flights.
great value at ~$600 each way from LAX if you can snag an A fare.
I have flown to Hawaii by myself for 40 years now. I meet friends and family over there for vacation. On my HA flight, the person sitting next to me on both flights was flying alone as well. So, I think you're making a huge assumption around how many couples/families fly to Hawaii together.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:55 pm

Found the seat pretty good for a 5 hour flight from SFO - OGG. I was in row 1 on the right with my wife. The first row in the middle seem to be the best as it had decent foot room and direct isle access.

My entertainment screen was not charged enough and I had to charge it so I could watch a movie.

Seat does feel a touch narrow and may be an issue on a longer flight if you are not a side sleeper.

I did like the simple seat adjustment however for me lacked getting a good comfy position when seated upright.

Got to my destination refreshed and ready.

Would choose this option again, however the 787 HA wants to launch seems to be the right direction in seat comfort.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Best I can say about the A330 Lie Flats is "Meh". Tolerable for a 5 hr OGG flight, but have had better experience on TPACS on other carriers w/ different metal
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
For those who may have flown both, any comparison between Alaska air and Hawaiian? I’m on Alaska in business class on a 737-800, but a schedule change may give me an option to change carriers without penalty.

Are the Hawaiian seats angle flat or horizontal?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:47 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by beachfan
For those who may have flown both, any comparison between Alaska air and Hawaiian? I’m on Alaska in business class on a 737-800, but a schedule change may give me an option to change carriers without penalty.

Are the Hawaiian seats angle flat or horizontal?
There’s no comparison. Hawaiian sears are fully horizontal; Alaska’s seats are not any kind of flat, just standard domestic first class seats that recline only a few inches. However I would be very skeptical if Alaska would rebook you on Hawaiian just because of a schedule change. I guess you could ask but most typically I would expect they would only rebook you on their own flights or give you a refund if their own flights no longer work.
beachfan likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by bgriff

There’s no comparison. Hawaiian sears are fully horizontal; Alaska’s seats are not any kind of flat, just standard domestic first class seats that recline only a few inches. However I would be very skeptical if Alaska would rebook you on Hawaiian just because of a schedule change. I guess you could ask but most typically I would expect they would only rebook you on their own flights or give you a refund if their own flights no longer work.
I don't need them to rebook, just refund.

For a daytime 6 hour flight that I don't intend to sleep on, a hard lie flat without leg rest doesn't automatically trump a comfortable first class seat. But if they only recline a few inches, then it's not great. A comfortable reclining seat with a legrest would trump a hard lie flat without a reachable leg rest for this timing.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:13 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

For a daytime 6 hour flight that I don't intend to sleep on, a hard lie flat without leg rest doesn't automatically trump a comfortable first class seat. But if they only recline a few inches, then it's not great. A comfortable reclining seat with a legrest would trump a hard lie flat without a reachable leg rest for this timing.
There is little to nothing left by way of a significantly-reclining first class seat, and just about nothing for legrests, in the US domestic first class market. (Virgin America's first class seats were one of the only examples, but I believe those are mostly if not entirely gone as Alaska has updated those airplanes to the Alaska cabin standard.) But, agree with you that Hawaiian's seat is not necessarily massively more comfortable if you're not planning to sleep. Though one other factor in favor of Hawaiian is that the lie-flat seat also means the person in front of you can't recline into your space, whereas they can on Alaska.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

HA’s seat would be my choice if seat comfort is only criteria. You have an ottoman. You have an option of sleeping in a prone position if you need rest. However, if you won’t be sleeping, you might be able to save money flying AS.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by 747FC

HA’s seat would be my choice if seat comfort is only criteria. You have an ottoman. You have an option of sleeping in a prone position if you need rest. However, if you won’t be sleeping, you might be able to save money flying AS.
Thanks all! I'll go with HA.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Hawaiian airlines west coast blanket: how big is it?

I'll be flying HNL to the west coast in F on a A330. I think I will be getting the domestic blanket. How big is it? Is it large enough to cover the seat back and seat bottom?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
It looks like a throw. I’ve posted a couple reviews for you to look at. I’d say bring your own pillow for sure-looks like a Y pillow.

Here’s a couple screen grabs from the YT video posted below

https://www.sfgate.com/chris-mcginni...w-13098861.php

I’ve usually packed my “sweatshirt” blanket (amazing btw and fits nicely in my roll-aboard) and my favorite pillow for long hauls and perhaps use the airline blanket as extra padding or wrapped on my pillow. Hope these help you out!
Old Oct 23, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: HA - Pualani Plat; Avis FIRST; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
I'll be flying HNL to the west coast in F on a A330. I think I will be getting the domestic blanket. How big is it? Is it large enough to cover the seat back and seat bottom?
blanket is approximately 60” x 38”
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:58 am

What are the best seats on A332 first class? I had assumed 1st row window would be most desirable, but it seems that middle seats tend to fill up first, and from the back.

Currently reserved bulkhead window, wondering if I should change?
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:23 am

Depends if solo or coupled. Personally I’ll give up a window to not have to climb/be climbed over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.