COVPASS certificate with CDC Card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVPASS certificate with CDC Card?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2021, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Double check the documents once you have them. My two certificates are not correct as on one they inverted my name and surname. Thus they do not match between each other and the apps do not recognize both.
No worries, they or another pharmacy will happily issue a new one and bill the German government for another €18

Originally Posted by flyingfkb
Yes you need both certificates! One for shot 1 and the second for shot 2. You need as many certificates as shots are need to get the full immunization. The only vaccine that needs only one shot is Johnson&Johnson. If you got Johnson&Johnson you would get only one certificate.
Yes, it makes sense, but the official website and news reports only talk about the certificate (singular).

https://digitaler-impfnachweis-app.de

I found a pharmacy newsletter that mentioned that it is one QR code for each shot. And in the meantime I validated my app’s QR codes with the official German check app, and the digital pass is valid. Scanning the QR code for shot 1 of 2 results in an error indicating that it isn’t proof of full vaccination.

I also used the digital code via app IRL, at a hospital. Seems I was there first one ever to show up with it judging by the looks on their faces. And they just looked at the QR code and the name and DOB shown in the app. No validation via a scan app. No ID check. Oh well
Old Jun 22, 2021, 1:01 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
No worries, they or another pharmacy will happily issue a new one and bill the German government for another €18
Sure but I discovered it just this evening and I am leaving for Spain tomorrow morning. This would have been convenient if working, I will redo it once I am back.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Sure but I discovered it just this evening and I am leaving for Spain tomorrow morning. This would have been convenient if working, I will redo it once I am back.
Crap, that is inconvenient. Are you going via a major airport like FRA or MUC that has a pharmacy?

And yes, I did make sure the data on the paper looked correct before leaving the pharmacy, With US documents there is always the chance they mess up the dates (reading 3/1/2021 as January 1, 2021).

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 22, 2021, 1:52 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
FRA has a pharmacy in Squaire and I will pass there so maybe I will try again tomorrow there.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002

That would explain why a CDC card is no problem
The link supplied also provides indications on how to deal with some of the common problems in getting the pass to work with CDC cards.

It wasn’t too many months ago when the pace of vaccinations for US personnel in Germany was frustratingly slow, but the latest frustration turned to how to get us CDC card users in Europe to be accommodated on the basis of the CDC card. Amusingly, I’m still working out for how to deal with this for my personal purposes without going to Germany to get it done reliably and without any risk of frustration.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

I tried this last Friday at a participating pharmacy in a small town in southeastern Bavaria. I had just arrived that day and needed to go into town anyway so I thought I'd give it a quick try before the stores were closing without worrying too much about the outcome. I provided my CDC card and passport. The lady working in the front took both documents and said she'd have to check with the owner/boss who'd make the decision on whether to accept the CDC card as sufficient proof of vaccination. After a few minutes she came back, apologized, and said he'd told her that they'd only accept documents issued in other EU countries, not the US. I'm sure that I could have either pressed my case or tried other pharmacies and eventually been successful, but I didn't want to spend any more time on this during my short trip. I'll probably try again during a longer trip in August, though the only time I needed to show proof of vaccination during this past trip was to check into a hotel, and the CDC card was readily accepted for that.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FRA has a pharmacy in Squaire and I will pass there so maybe I will try again tomorrow there.
T1 and T2 have branches, too:

https://metropolitan-pharmacy.com/frankfurt/?lang=en
Old Jun 23, 2021, 12:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Note that due to the current low case numbers no one really checks your status anywhere, so getting a covpass thingie to show may be nice but there is no imminent urgent need. Lufthansa will only be able to scan it to check your status in mid July, so it is also of limited use for travel.
RetiredATLATC likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hogo74
After a few minutes she came back, apologized, and said he'd told her that they'd only accept documents issued in other EU countries, not the US.
I haven’t seen the actual UI the pharmacies use to capture the data, but the pharmacist who issued my digital certificates told me something along the lines of “I couldn’t choose the US as the vaccination country, so I entered Germany”.

The certs have a field “Member state of vaccination” - see picture at

https://user-images.githubuserconten...ef4a74719b.jpg

My certs show DE for that field, so I assume that’s what she was referring to.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 6:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If you look at the manual for pharmacies here: https://digitaler-impfnachweis-app.d...sanleitung.pdf

Its literally 6 fields they have to fill out: first/last name, dob, type of vaccine, second or first shot, date of vaccination. Thats it. No country, no nothing.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
If you look at the manual for pharmacies here: https://digitaler-impfnachweis-app.d...sanleitung.pdf

Its literally 6 fields they have to fill out: first/last name, dob, type of vaccine, second or first shot, date of vaccination. Thats it. No country, no nothing.
Yeah, I posted about the manual/screenshots earlier in this thread.

I have not seen the actual UI, and it wouldn’t surprise me if the screenshots are mock-ups created by product management that aren’t in sync with the actual implementation. And I may have misunderstood the pharmacist handing me the certs - German with a Russian accent through an FFP2 mask can be tricky. But my best interpretation and recollection of what I heard is what I said above.

In any case, if rejected by one pharmacy, I would just try it at another one. There seem to be plenty offering the service.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 4:39 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Just a data point :

I had one vaccine done in the US (CDC card), and the 2nd dose done at my local doctor in Germany (WHO/OMS yellow booklet, with CDC stapled in by my doctor).

Went to the pharmacie and the person issued the two certificates, in and out in 3 minutes.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 6:14 pm
mk2

Originally Posted by mlin32
Just a data point :

I had one vaccine done in the US (CDC card), and the 2nd dose done at my local doctor in Germany (WHO/OMS yellow booklet, with CDC stapled in by my doctor).

Went to the pharmacie and the person issued the two certificates, in and out in 3 minutes.

Where is this ?
Frankfurt ?

It seems like only the Apotheke in Berlin and Munich are familiar ?
I've emailed a few Apotheke in Frankfurt and they said that it's only for EU citizens or people vaccinated in the EU.
Perhaps if I just go in person once I've arrived in DE, it'll be different ?

I got vaccinated 2x in Canada with Pfizer.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mk2
Where is this ?
Frankfurt ?

I've emailed a few Apotheke in Frankfurt and they said that it's only for EU citizens or people vaccinated in the EU.

I got my own digital certificate done in a small town pharmacy hundreds of kilometers from Berlin or Munich. See earlier post.

I happened to visit another pharmacy in a different town nearby just yesterday and asked “for a friend who got his shots on the US” if they would issue the certificate based on the US vaccine card. No, they said, they only issue certificates for people who got vaccinated in this area. Not even someone from a Munich would get it from them, they said. Makes no sense, but clearly this is very much a case of HUCA (or walk out, try again).
Old Jun 26, 2021, 3:04 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by mk2
Where is this ?
Frankfurt ?

I'm located in the suburbs of Frankfurt/Main. The pharmacist took a cursory glance at my national ID card (I have primary residency in Germany) to make sure it matched the passport, but that's it.

My hunch it that each country participating in the scheme is responsible and allows just its residents and citizens. Its main purpose wasn't directed for non-Schengen/particpating citizens or residents, although I'm sure down the road the CE might try and do reciprocity agreements. It could be more difficult for an outside tourist who got both doses outside the EU, because the pharmacist essentially has the burden of verifying the authenticity of the vaccination record, something risk-averse Germans don't willingly do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.