COVPASS certificate with CDC Card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVPASS certificate with CDC Card?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2021, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
By the way, in over a week I haven’t actually see a place that was set up to scan my digital pass. Shops and restaurants don't require it. I have used the digital pass a couple of times at a hospital that required either a negative Covid test or proof of vaccination, but they only “visually inspected” the barcode (and didn’t even ask for ID to compare with the name shown by the app). Today I will try to use my CDC card in that setting.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 10:40 am

Would love to know how this works. Will be in Germany in early August, 2 X Pfizer in Canada myself
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA-½K
Just arrived in Munich today and got my CDC card accepted at a local pharmacy at Munchner Freiheit.

I too, walking around Marienplatz did not see anyplace requesting the application, but I did see one place at the Munich airport in the quad area between the terminals that was requesting the QR code.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 3:01 pm
mk2

Originally Posted by rworne
Just arrived in Munich today and got my CDC card accepted at a local pharmacy at Munchner Freiheit.

I too, walking around Marienplatz did not see anyplace requesting the application, but I did see one place at the Munich airport in the quad area between the terminals that was requesting the QR code.
Did you have any issue getting the digital impfpass ?
Or was it basically just , go into Apotheke , present CDC card, they enter details , no question asked , and voila ?

If you don't mind, if you visit that square again soon, could you pop in and ask if a Canadian receipt would be accepted ?

It's very similar to the CDC card, except we don't have stamps/signature/barcode , just State symbol.

One last question:
Did you fly direct to Munich or (direct to Germany) ?
Was it enough to just show the CDC card to the airline checkin and boarding agent ? No PCR tests ?
rstruthe likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 3:01 pm
mk2

Originally Posted by rstruthe
Would love to know how this works. Will be in Germany in early August, 2 X Pfizer in Canada myself

I'm from Canada too and scheduled to fly to Frankfurt mid July.
Would love an "on field" report from any fellow canadians !
rstruthe and Harpagon like this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 4:48 am

Only issue I had was when they told me it needed to be ordered, as they are not doing it yet. I figured it was a miscommunication and showed them the app and the image posted here about how to get the certificates.

They then realized it was just for the certificate only, and asked for my card and passport. They input all the data, verified it with me it was correct (US date formats confuse them) and even used my phone to scan in and verify it all went in correctly. They did trip on on "Pfizer" so I told them it was "Pfizer/BioNTech" and they happily complied.

She told me to hold on to the paper certificates, as they can be reused in case the phone gets lost or replaced. They are proof of vaccination just like the CDC card is, and should be kept safe.

So no. No hassle at all. Some locations may be a bit less liberal about accepting the CDC card, but just hit up another one if you do.

Unfortunately I am not visiting there again, as I head out of town Monday morning. Today is Sunday, so Germany's closed. They did not ask me my nationality, though that would be on my passport. She simply asked me for the vaccination card and passport prior to knowing where I came from.

The pharmacy is in the U6 Munchener Freiheit station, it's the first thing you see going up the stairs from the platform. It's called "Apotheke Zur Münchener Freiheit"

For the trip:
I showed up at LAX with a PCR test, vaccination card, and an essential worker letter. United wanted to see both the test and vaccination card. My connection to Germany out of Chicago was on Lufthansa, and they wanted to see my docs too, but they wanted my passport and a vaccine card or recent test, no need for both.

German passport control also asked for vaccine proof or a recent test, they also said one or another is good, did not want to see both. Whether this is because I am a US citizen or not may have made a difference. For a Canadian, I don't know. If your country is not on any special restriction list, I'd guess you would be fine.

The hotel also checks- if you show them proof then they note you are not subject to quarantine, and you can go on your merry way.
GUWonder and notquiteaff like this.

Last edited by rworne; Jun 27, 2021 at 5:09 am
Old Jun 27, 2021, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by mk2
Did you have any issue getting the digital impfpass ?
Or was it basically just , go into Apotheke , present CDC card, they enter details , no question asked , and voila ?

If you don't mind, if you visit that square again soon, could you pop in and ask if a Canadian receipt would be accepted ?

It's very similar to the CDC card, except we don't have stamps/signature/barcode , just State symbol.

One last question:
Did you fly direct to Munich or (direct to Germany) ?
Was it enough to just show the CDC card to the airline checkin and boarding agent ? No PCR tests ?
My CDC card is a joke. It just contained my name, birthdate, the date of the vaccinations, the type of vaccine "Pfizer" and the lot number. Location was written as "CSUN" (one of the local drive through mass-vaccination sites) and everything on it was handwritten. No barcodes, stickers or stamps. California also has a digital record I can get (I had a copy of that too) but I never showed it to them.

I think we are in the confusing first days of the rollout. No one directed the pharmacies to accept or reject foreign cards, it's up to the local store. How long that will last is anyone's guess.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 11:36 am
mk2

rworne Thanks for the detailed account of the trip!

So would you say that if in Chicago , when Lufthansa asked for your "passport ...and....(vacc proof OR pcr test)" and you chose just vacc proof showing that CDC card, then it would've been enough ?
Was this trip before or after the June 20th travel-ban removal ?

It's strange that United demanded Vacc Proof AND Test too.
Even in TIMATIC it would've said either-or.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 12:42 pm

Lufthansa said either. United did not demand both, they asked for both, I do not know what they would have done if I only had one of the two. I used their app prior to checking in online and had uploaded all the docs back then. The agent noted I was already checked in and saw I just wanted to check my bags. So they did the doc check again and issued me paper boarding passes when they took my bags.

Also, this was the counter agent at the terminal prior to security who checks in anybody going anywhere. The Lufthansa agent was the gate agent, whom I would assume knows better.

But yes, Lufthansa and German passport control want either a recent test or vaccination, not both..
Old Jun 27, 2021, 1:43 pm
mk2

Originally Posted by rworne
Lufthansa said either. United did not demand both, they asked for both, I do not know what they would have done if I only had one of the two. I used their app prior to checking in online and had uploaded all the docs back then. The agent noted I was already checked in and saw I just wanted to check my bags. So they did the doc check again and issued me paper boarding passes when they took my bags.

Also, this was the counter agent at the terminal prior to security who checks in anybody going anywhere. The Lufthansa agent was the gate agent, whom I would assume knows better.

But yes, Lufthansa and German passport control want either a recent test or vaccination, not both..
Sorry, i don't understand.
If they (United Airlines) asked for both, that would be "demanding both" no ?
Old Jun 27, 2021, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by mk2
Sorry, i don't understand.
If they (United Airlines) asked for both, that would be "demanding both" no ?
They asked for both and I happened to have them. I do not know why they did - maybe checking it against what I uploaded? maybe confused about requirements?

It never went that far. She asked for the vaccination card, which I gave to her, then asked for a recent COVID test, which I gave her. I did not bother to question it. I only began to wonder about it after I spoke to the gate agent for the Lufthansa flight. I suppose if I only had one, it could have been good enough, or it's one of those "learning moments" for the agent who may not be fully up to date on the requirements for Germany.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 12:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Germany follws the 3G concept: geimpft=genesen=getestet. So if you you are either vaccinated, recovered or tested you only have to show proof of any and you are good to go.
RetiredATLATC likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 6:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Not a CDC card but I got my vaccinations in France and took advantage of a short trip to Berlin to get my German certificate, mostly because when/if travel outside of the EU resumes I figure it might be more straightforward to have all the paperwork issued by the same country (I am a German citizen/passport-holder). I just walked into a pharmacy in Schöneberg on Saturday morning without an appointment, the Apothekerin made a photocopy of the French papers and of my Personalausweis and 3 minutes later I left with my Impfzertifikat, which I scanned into the Corona-Warn-App (Covpass is unavailable for me as my App Store is based in France). For the record - French certificates, while printed rather than handwritten, show even less information than the CDC Card, as the lot number does not appear on the paper.

The only funny thing is that the certificate says I was vaccinated in "DE" - I thought she would have it changed it to "FR" given that the platform allegedly allows for selecting other EU countries.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Marambio
For the record - French certificates, while printed rather than handwritten, show even less information than the CDC Card, as the lot number does not appear on the paper.
I’d be willing to bet that the majority of us who have handwritten info on our CDC cards don’t have the lot number written on the card. Heck, they didn’t write my birthdate or the vaccination location on my card, either.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 10:29 am
mk2

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I’d be willing to bet that the majority of us who have handwritten info on our CDC cards don’t have the lot number written on the card. Heck, they didn’t write my birthdate or the vaccination location on my card, either.
were you allowed to board by the airline checkin agent and gate agent at the departure airport to the EU just fine even missing those info ??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.