Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

I got a Zeugenfragebogen (Witnesses questionnaire) For Speeding

Old Jan 23, 19, 5:05 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Mileage Plus Silver

Just received a pdf invoice from Sixt rental car for a Zeugenfragebogen that Heidelberg sent to them for speeding violation. The invoice was for 25 Euros for administrative fees and it states that the fine is not included and "The respective authority will mail you the fine by regular post." How long will it take for the actual letter with the amount to pay arrive at my address in the USA?
Old Jan 23, 19, 11:29 am

It may take a few weeks (two or three, usually) until they actually mail the letter. The letter then takes roughly a week until it's delivered to your US address.

Don't worry, tickets in Germany are not nearly as expensive as in California. If you were like 15 km/h (~10 mph) over the limit, the fine could be as low as 25 euro.
seat38a likes this.
Old Jan 24, 19, 1:10 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Mileage Plus Silver
Originally Posted by ryanp View Post
It may take a few weeks (two or three, usually) until they actually mail the letter. The letter then takes roughly a week until it's delivered to your US address.

Don't worry, tickets in Germany are not nearly as expensive as in California. If you were like 15 km/h (~10 mph) over the limit, the fine could be as low as 25 euro.
After typing in the scanned PDF into Google Translate, it looks like their was an option to send the letter back with 20 Euro "Warning Fee." I wish Sixt would have just paid the damn thing and charged me for it along with the Admin fee they charged for processing the form. I was clocked at 14 km/h over.
Old Jan 24, 19, 10:36 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Some
You can still pay it. Also Im not sure if they send it to the U.S.
seat38a likes this.
Old Jan 29, 19, 10:15 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by seat38a View Post
After typing in the scanned PDF into Google Translate, it looks like their was an option to send the letter back with 20 Euro "Warning Fee." I wish Sixt would have just paid the damn thing and charged me for it along with the Admin fee they charged for processing the form. I was clocked at 14 km/h over.
That is a good one. You would just need to deny the allegation and Sixt would sit on an unpaid invoice. Sixt did it like all other rental agencies. They get the speeding ticket, reply to the authorities who rented the car, charge you their administrative fee and that's it.
You should get now a letter from the authorities with the speeding ticket and normally you can just accept the fine by paying it. In your case 20 (the actually fine for being over by 11-15km/h). Sometimes the authorities add extra fees for sending out the ticket the second time which is about 25-30 (you notice it is higher than the actual fine). Sadly this stupid fee is legal.
Old Feb 3, 19, 9:49 pm
JBa

Programs: some
Had this happen to me a couple of times/ Check the pdf file for a phone number and call it. Both times was told that they closed the ticket since they don't want to send mail to the US
Old Feb 10, 19, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by seat38a View Post
These 20 EUR are exactly what the fine would be if it happened in a non-built-up area (incl. all freeways). Is this perhaps what they are referring to with that warning fee?

Last edited by makrom; Feb 10, 19 at 8:30 pm