Wiki Posts
Search

MUC Munich Airport Tips & Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Admirals, Accor, HHG, Global Entry
Smile MUC Munich Airport Tips & Experiences

I have my first visit to Munich coming up.

Are there any tips to get through or things to do there?
Experiences Arriving, Departing OR lounging?
Any areas with view of landing/takeoffs from within airport?

I am Admirals Club and traveling BA Club Europe on the legs in/out of MUC with First int'l same-day to LHR and on Club Europe LHR-MUC on the same reservation.
Out of MUC is a two-leg in Club Europe.

Anything anyone wants to discuss about the airport is appreciated.

J

- My first thread. I searched different keywords and couldn't find anything on this. I hope its done correctly...

ADDED INFORMATION: I have a four night stay-over in MUC.

Last edited by JMGPhila; Jul 28, 2016 at 4:46 pm Reason: Misleading original posting.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:26 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
This should be posted here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany-626/
If you search there for "MUC" (including the quotation marks) you will find several hundred threads about all aspects of it.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:26 am

You'll surely get better answers in the Germany Destination forum. Maybe a mod agrees and moves it over there?

As for things to do at the airport: Munich is one of the better airports to hang around. There's a brewery (AirBräu) with an outdoor Biergarten between the Terminals, next to a great supermarket. You can easily spend a couple of hours around there for lunch and/or dinner.

Depending on time, and if weather permits, you could check out the Visitors Park and climb the "Affenhügel", or "Monkey Hill" . Great views of the tarmac and takeoff/landings.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
This should be posted here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany-626/
If you search there for "MUC" (including the quotation marks) you will find several hundred threads about all aspects of it.
Thanks, Nux. I understand the frustrations to the veterans with over threading. I am spanking new, although I have known about this highly addictive site for years. I will post there. Thank you

J

Originally Posted by gpia
You'll surely get better answers in the Germany Destination forum. Maybe a mod agrees and moves it over there?

As for things to do at the airport: Munich is one of the better airports to hang around. There's a brewery (AirBräu) with an outdoor Biergarten between the Terminals, next to a great supermarket. You can easily spend a couple of hours around there for lunch and/or dinner.

Depending on time, and if weather permits, you could check out the Visitors Park and climb the "Affenhügel", or "Monkey Hill" . Great views of the tarmac and takeoff/landings.
Thank you for the info! I am going to move this over to the above link you and Nux gave, but figure I will ask you one thing...

Is the Biergarten or "Hill" accessible from Arrivals, Departures or outside of the terminals?

My entire trip (PHL-DCA/IAD-LHR-MUC/MUC-LHR-OSL/OSL-LHR-LAS/LAS-PHL) is for flying on F awards (and J where F not available) more than spending time in all of the countries I will be going to. -So, anyways, my point is to really fly and spend time at airports and check out all the lounges. Although it is a two-week trip.

Wow what a great link! I still don't know my answer about accessing arrival, departure or general access...

Moved to:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germa...l#post26979889

Last edited by beckoa; Jan 14, 2018 at 1:05 am Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm not sure I understand what you are doing? You are arriving into MUC on BA in CE, then have another flight on BA a few hours later? Back to LHR? The BA lounge in MUC is completely forgettable (and you won't have access to it on arrival). You could go to the AirBräu restaurant, but that won't keep you busy for more than an hour. Or you could go to the visitor's park, that's about it.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by JMGPhila
Is the Biergarten or "Hill" accessible from Arrivals, Departures or outside of the terminals?
The AirBräu-Biergarten is outside, between terminals 1 & 2. It's in an area of the airport called "MAC - Munich Airport Center". Can't miss it.

The hill is one stop away on the local train (2 mins) that runs from the station right below the MAC, and thus the AirBräu.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
How much time will you have between arriving and departing MUC? MUC is just a short train ride from Munich itself with plenty to see and great food & drink.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
How much time will you have between arriving and departing MUC? MUC is just a short train ride from Munich itself with plenty to see and great food & drink.
It's about the furthest airport from the city centre in all of Germany! S8 will take 45mins+.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I did it 5 times last year and didn't find it to be problematic. Compared to other airports in Germany yes it's more remote but I think my travels averaged around 45 minutes door to door which isn't bad at all compared to other airports. If someone had a 4-5 hour layover it would be too much maybe but if there is a decent layover one could easily explore Munich.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
It's about the furthest airport from the city centre in all of Germany! S8 will take 45mins+.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Smile

I'm not sure I understand what you are doing? You are arriving into MUC on BA in CE, then have another flight on BA a few hours later? Back to LHR? The BA lounge in MUC is completely forgettable (and you won't have access to it on arrival). You could go to the AirBräu restaurant, but that won't keep you busy for more than an hour. Or you could go to the visitor's park, that's about it.
I am arriving in Munich and staying over four nights for Oktoberfest. I will be departing Munich to LHR with a layover of 90 minutes in Club Europe for that trip, so my layover in T5 at LHR from Munich to Oslo will be nothing more than getting to my connecting flight. Just wondering about Munich. Thats disappointing about the lounges, but not the end of the world. I checked the lounges out on Lounge Buddy today.

I wasn't clear on this, but I will be in Munich for four nights for Oktoberfest. Thanks

Originally Posted by gpia
The AirBräu-Biergarten is outside, between terminals 1 & 2. It's in an area of the airport called "MAC - Munich Airport Center". Can't miss it.

The hill is one stop away on the local train (2 mins) that runs from the station right below the MAC, and thus the AirBräu.
That is GREAT detailed information and I appreciate it very, very much. Got it written down in SNote.

Most importantly I am staying in a hotel which I failed to mention. It is a hotel within two blocks of a train station which is a five minute train ride to Munich City Centre and it is 30 minutes from Munich Airport, according to Trip Advisor guests who stayed at that particular hotel. I am traveling without the kids and wife, so thinking about a day trip on a train to Vienna which is only 2.5 hours away I believe the schedule said.

I did it 5 times last year and didn't find it to be problematic. Compared to other airports in Germany yes it's more remote but I think my travels averaged around 45 minutes door to door which isn't bad at all compared to other airports. If someone had a 4-5 hour layover it would be too much maybe but if there is a decent layover one could easily explore Munich.
I updated the OP to inform I have a four night stay, as I misled people to the idea I am just flying in and right out of MUC.
I was actually planning Berlin originally, but the real Oktoberfest festivities are in Munich, as you know.

Last edited by beckoa; Jan 14, 2018 at 1:06 am Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JMGPhila
Most importantly I am staying in a hotel which I failed to mention. It is a hotel within two blocks of a train station which is a five minute train ride to Munich City Centre and it is 30 minutes from Munich Airport, according to Trip Advisor guests who stayed at that particular hotel. I am traveling without the kids and wife, so thinking about a day trip on a train to Vienna which is only 2.5 hours away I believe the schedule said.
Vienna is far for a day trip, but Saltzberg would be more reasonable, although it's nice to spend an evening there and see the old city at night.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:53 pm
Suspended

I'm still a bit confused, but I think I'm right in saying that you're not actually asking for advice on what to do at the airport but in Munich itself, right?

We have plenty of threads on that already, just search. Obviously Oktoberfest itself will be a big draw. Vienna is way too far for a day trip. Try Salzburg instead.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Vienna is 4 hours + each direction via train, Salzburg about 1h:30m to 1h:45m.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Vienna is far for a day trip, but Saltzberg would be more reasonable, although it's nice to spend an evening there and see the old city at night.
Yeah, you are right about the day trip. I figured if a late train is scheduled, I will go there, have a meal, buy my daughters some souvenirs and head back. ( I can move easy without dragging kids. I am thinking about booking a second hotel (In Vienna) just so I have a place overnight. Firgured I would go out there my second day.

I'm still a bit confused, but I think I'm right in saying that you're not actually asking for advice on what to do at the airport but in Munich itself, right?

We have plenty of threads on that already, just search. Obviously Oktoberfest itself will be a big draw. Vienna is way too far for a day trip. Try Salzburg instead.
No, just the airport. The other is just evolving conversation. Thanks!

J

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Vienna is 4 hours + each direction via train, Salzburg about 1h:30m to 1h:45m.
Thats fine. It gives me around 6 or 7 hours there, if I don't stay over.

J

Yeah, for Vienna I originally was hoping Glock did factory tours (Deutsch Wagram, NE of Vienna) but it is absolutely off-limits to the public unless exclusively invited. I will look into Salzburg. Thanks for the recommendation.

Last edited by beckoa; Jan 14, 2018 at 1:06 am Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:02 pm

MUC connection time

I'm looking to use UA miles to book a flight FCO-MUC-YYZ-LAX. The FCO-MUC flight is on Lufthansa, and then MUC-YYZ is Air Canada. The connection time in MUC is an hour and 40 minutes.

Can anyone help with info about what Terminal we might be arriving in (LH) and and departing from (AC)? Will there be customs and a security check to go through?

Normally, 100 minutes is plenty for a connection, but I'm concerned because it's 2 international flights on 2 different airlines, plus I try to account for the possibility that FCO-MUC could run late. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.