Connecting Flights in Dusseldorf

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by offerendum
Quote:

Originally Posted by bruce80

Did you arrive at concourse C? At concourse A, passport control is located in the middle of the concourse, at B, some are located at individual gates (on the schengen-level) while there's an entire non-schengen floor; but as C is a non-schengen concourse in it's entirety, I believe (haven't been there since it was reconstructed) that you'll only have to clear immigration when leaving the concourse (and some discussions about the airside connection walkways suggest that too).

When I departed to LHR on BA two years ago, we left from a concourse B finger gate (with passport control at the gate) but arrived at a concourse C bus gate and passport control was definitely located directly in front of the baggage hall (on the arrivals floor).

By the way, my comment above was related to dawsando's enquiry and FLYGVA's answer - jwallkc will definitely have to clear immigration (at concourse A) during the transit.

I arrived at B, so this can explain the difference. I don´t fly so often via C, but I think you´re right
It does depend on where flights arrive. If C, no border control if departing C. If arriving in B, I believe you do have to enter Schengen. Last year BA LHR to DUS arrived in B. Not sure about AB flights from STN.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Assuming no delays (or even a minor delay JFK-DUS), you will be fine. You will clear immigration upon entry into the Schengen Area in DUS, at which point both DUS-DRS and DRS-HER will effectively be treated as "domestic" flights for immigration purposes.
DUS - DRS will not be treated "as" domestic flight but is a domestic flight in any sense of the word.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
DUS - DRS will not be treated "as" domestic flight but is a domestic flight in any sense of the word.
Of course, but much shorter and less confusing to explain both flights that way for someone who isn't familiar with the concept of Schengen.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:43 am

Our family of 4 (two small kids) will have a two hour connection in DUS (coming from the US and departing to VIE). Thanks to this thread, I am not worried about making the connection. However, I would like to know whether those of you who are familiar with the airport think we would have enough time to make it to the REWE City Market in the arrivals section of the airport in the two hour time period we have. As we are traveling with a small child, I'd like to know whether accessing the market is a possibility in the event that we need something from there. Thank you.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by akrobat
Our family of 4 (two small kids) will have a two hour connection in DUS (coming from the US and departing to VIE). Thanks to this thread, I am not worried about making the connection. However, I would like to know whether those of you who are familiar with the airport think we would have enough time to make it to the REWE City Market in the arrivals section of the airport in the two hour time period we have. As we are traveling with a small child, I'd like to know whether accessing the market is a possibility in the event that we need something from there. Thank you.
It`s possible, but you have to leave the transit-area.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:07 pm

It`s possible, but you have to leave the transit-area.
Yes, that's why I'm concerned. I haven't transited through DUS before and don't know what the security line is like. It sounds like we'd have enough time, assuming we are willing to leave the transit area and go through security to reenter. Not sure it will be worth the hassle. Thank you for the response.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by akrobat
Yes, that's why I'm concerned. I haven't transited through DUS before and don't know what the security line is like. It sounds like we'd have enough time, assuming we are willing to leave the transit area and go through security to reenter. Not sure it will be worth the hassle. Thank you for the response.
Normally lines aren`t too Long. The market is a relative small German Supermarket.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 3:53 pm

Normally lines aren`t too Long. The market is a relative small German Supermarket.
Thanks, I appreciate the information.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
I have a flight with airberlin on route ZRH-DUS-LAX with a 1 hour and 15 minutes layover in DUS. What security do I need to pass in DUS? :-) are there somebody who's asking you before US bound flight? Like how long you going to stay or whatever else?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:12 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Originally Posted by rajqo
I have a flight with airberlin on route ZRH-DUS-LAX with a 1 hour and 15 minutes layover in DUS. What security do I need to pass in DUS? :-) are there somebody who's asking you before US bound flight? Like how long you going to stay or whatever else?
As you are leaving Schengen zone while transiting in DUS you'll have to go through passport control. Also as far as I know there is an additional security control to pass through and usually at the gate airline security will ask you questions regarding immigrations issues/visa. 1:15 should be more than enough time to do this IMO.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
As you are leaving Schengen zone while transiting in DUS you'll have to go through passport control. Also as far as I know there is an additional security control to pass through and usually at the gate airline security will ask you questions regarding immigrations issues/visa. 1:15 should be more than enough time to do this IMO.
DUS is my "home-base", so never experienced it by myself. When I flew to the US I never were asked additional questions.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:42 am

Hi guys, it's my first post here

I have a doubt. I 've bought a ticket from mxp ( milano malpensa) to jfk with airbelin. there is only one scale in Dusseldorf. Are enough 45 min to take the flight connection?

tnx,

Martina
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by comalies
Hi guys, it's my first post here

I have a doubt. I 've bought a ticket from mxp ( milano malpensa) to jfk with airbelin. there is only one scale in Dusseldorf. Are enough 45 min to take the flight connection?

tnx,

Martina
It`s ambitious. Is it 45 minutes between arrival and boarding time? Otherwise with gates closing 30 minutes before departure it could be a Problem. Also woudn`t be to sure that your checked lagguage meets you in JFK. Otherwise if Air Berlin sells your journey as one ticket, it should fit.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
DUS is my "home-base", so never experienced it by myself. When I flew to the US I never were asked additional questions.
I fly AB a lot to the US and have never been asked additional questions there. Flying AA DUS-ORD is a different creature.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
re:

hey guys, I realized I will have only 1:05 layover from one airberlin flight to a transatlantic airberlin flight... looks like arrivals from schengen are B gates and departures to US with airberlin are from C gates... I want to know how long does it take to go from B arrival, to C departure gates?? just thinking if the first plane will be late (will arrive half-hour later for example) and I will have not 1:05 to change the planes, but only 35 minutes (and less...)... Is it doable to run from B gates to C gates in say... 15 minutes? I really don't want to miss this LAX flight because next one is scheduled after 2 days (only seasonal)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.