Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New 2024 revenue based miles and elite status

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2023, 8:03 am

Programs: Frontier (50k), Southwest, Wyndham (Diamond), Hyatt (Discoverist), National (Executive), Amex (Plat)
The most important things to me are the free carry-on and being able to pick a stretch seat (as a tall person, that's pretty critical). As long as I can get that at 20k, everything else is just gravy; I'm pretty content and will keep flying them. A free drink or something would have been nice, but I doubt we'll ever see that on F9.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 11:11 am

Programs: AA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, FPC lifetime Plat, Kohls MVP
Originally Posted by GumboCook
Bought thru 12/31, but flown thru end of schedule.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 4:18 pm

Based on what I read, I thought elite qualifying miles would be based on dollars spent, but apparently that's incorrect. I contacted Frontier directly and they are saying elite qualifying miles will still be earned based on actual miles flown, not dollars spent. Am I the only one that thought this? If elite qualifying miles are based on miles flown, then this isn't so bad. I can still do cheap $19 fares and receive status. I just won't get a bunch of redeemable miles, but that's no big deal.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum, Frontier Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
I think the confusion comes from them phasing in the new “dollars for miles” model with the “10x promo” noted one post up. Thru the end of the year (?and end of current schedule?) they will continue the traditional “miles for miles” model. So, we will be able to double dip and get miles both ways until it changes completely to dollars. This, among much else, has confused the reps.

Don’t worry, neither type of miles will be reliably credited to your account in a timely fashion. So, nothing will really change.

I would not trust anything that the chat reps say or think. I think they were referring to the current system from their canned answers. They don’t even understand the current system, let alone how the new system will work/ be phased in.
rhwbullhead likes this.

Last edited by pretzlaff; Oct 25, 2023 at 4:35 pm
Old Oct 25, 2023, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by UAL123
Based on what I read, I thought elite qualifying miles would be based on dollars spent, but apparently that's incorrect. I contacted Frontier directly and they are saying elite qualifying miles will still be earned based on actual miles flown, not dollars spent. Am I the only one that thought this? If elite qualifying miles are based on miles flown, then this isn't so bad. I can still do cheap $19 fares and receive status. I just won't get a bunch of redeemable miles, but that's no big deal.
That is how i understood it to be as well. I assumed thst dollars spect would be in addition to miles flown. Makes it a good deal because I can fly with all the free baggage on a cheap flught with the family and maintain status. I fly 50k miles a year organically as it is.

But thinking on what others are saying I'm not sure that makes sense for them. If you can qualify on miles AND money spent, seems like more people can qualify for bags/seats which is where they generate their revenue.

The only way I see that being the case is if they get rid of the cheap flights. If everyone on the plane is 20k status, they lose money of a $40 roundtrip flight.

My other concern is how they handle existing miles and if that can still be redeemed for trips. I have 175k miles in my account and don't want to lose those or the ability to book a flight with them
Old Oct 25, 2023, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum, Frontier Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
I re-read The Points Guy’s article. I suspect that he sent it to Frontier to make sure he had not made any mistakes. Even if he had not sent it to Frontier, they would have corrected him after it came out and he would have changed the article.

In 4-5 places, he refers to dollars only leading to redeemable miles and also to qualifying/ elite miles.

such as:

“However, the new revenue-based approach to accruing redeemable and qualifying miles may be tough for many travelers to swallow.“
Old Oct 25, 2023, 5:03 pm

I'm betting status will only be earned through dollars spent, but here is the quote that I received from the agent.

"Once the new year starts, the miles multiplier will only be applied to redeemable points. Elite Qualifying miles will still be earned through miles flown with Frontier or eligible purchases using a Frontier Mastercard for cardholders."
Old Oct 25, 2023, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

I must admit that under the current system we get the flat miles flown toward status but then get a multiplier for redeemable miles.

under the new system it would not work to get the flat dollars spent toward status since you would only get 50 to 100 or whatever elite miles. Far, far too few. But then if you get the times 20 that a 100k would get, that would be like 1000 to 2000. Probably too many.

also, new members would never get ahead with a times 10 credit. Just weird to give different elite miles for different levels, especially when they are reinforcing numbers of dollars handed over.

All very odd. I suspect that they really have not thought this thru. Also odd that none of their people have corrected any of the big blogs that are saying different.

Is it possible that Frontier doesn’t know what they are doing?

Last edited by pretzlaff; Oct 25, 2023 at 5:34 pm
Old Oct 25, 2023, 6:05 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UAL123
I'm in the same situation in that I paid $499 extra. I'm really ticked because I paid extra for the 100k status just for the carry on bag for companions. I could have saved the money. I don't need the 100k (Diamond) extras such as second checked bag free or refundability. I'll never use the second checked bag. Refundability is nice, but not $499 nice. Sent a complaint in to Frontier just to voice my displeasure, but I know nothing will be done other than possibly giving me a worthless voucher.
Are you flying at all this year and will get benefits from? Like I said, I did it because 8 of us are going on a cruise from Port Canaveral with bags in December, so the $499 upcharge is justified since these benefits will not apply until next calendar year.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, FPC lifetime Plat, Kohls MVP
A lot of you are expecting way too much from Frontier.
it is very confusing. it will be a while before thing clear up.
I was thinking if you bought a ticket on Frontiers website by Dec 31, 2023 for travel in 2024, you would get miles based on the flight distance and 10x the fare (whatever charges count). Both which would count as qualifying in 2024 for 2025 status. Frontier saw how badly Delta fumbled the ball and capitalized on the opportunity to roll this out with the changes being nowhere as bad as Deltas. All my opinions (worth what you paid).
Old Oct 25, 2023, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by pretzlaff
I must admit that under the current system we get the flat miles flown toward status but then get a multiplier for redeemable miles.

under the new system it would not work to get the flat dollars spent toward status since you would only get 50 to 100 or whatever elite miles. Far, far too few. But then if you get the times 20 that a 100k would get, that would be like 1000 to 2000. Probably too many.

also, new members would never get ahead with a times 10 credit. Just weird to give different elite miles for different levels, especially when they are reinforcing numbers of dollars handed over.

All very odd. I suspect that they really have not thought this thru. Also odd that none of their people have corrected any of the big blogs that are saying different.

Is it possible that Frontier doesn’t know what they are doing?
ha ha. I think it is more correct to say Frontier doesn't know that they don't know what they are doing. Ignorance is bliss.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 8:34 pm

I don't trust the pointsguy article on this issue. His old vs new benefits chart doesn't show that the new gold level gets a free carryon. On the frontier chart showing the changes it does show that gold/20k elite still get a free carryon
Old Oct 25, 2023, 10:39 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
I saw this on Doctor of Credit today. I hadn't checked here as I haven't been able to fly for past few months.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/front...elite-program/

It seems like after the promo going on till the end of the year, I'll never spend enough to get status as I fly when fares are cheap.
​​​​​​
With my 20k/gold status, next year it would take me $1666 spent to earn status again (this is not counting the promo). It obviously would be easier with the promo for flights booked till end of the year where you get the 10-20x plus the miles

I'm at about 7500 status miles. Not sure if I can really fly a lot till later part of 2024 so I may just take one more flight to get silver status next year and to maintain family pool.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 4:51 pm

Getting a little clearer now. I do have to say that pet fee waiver is huge for me. I mean other than a first class upgrade, how else can another airline offer a perk that saves $200 per trip? They probably will get 3 or 4 more leisure trips out of me with that alone as my wife normally won't fly Frontier. Might be hard to maintain 50k without status match but maybe we will see some promos later to make it happen.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by willy702
Getting a little clearer now. I do have to say that pet fee waiver is huge for me. I mean other than a first class upgrade, how else can another airline offer a perk that saves $200 per trip? They probably will get 3 or 4 more leisure trips out of me with that alone as my wife normally won't fly Frontier. Might be hard to maintain 50k without status match but maybe we will see some promos later to make it happen.
Interesting that if you listen to today's (lack of) earnings call -- I've posted a link in an other thread -- Frontier is super optimistic that their revamped loyalty program will increase revenue. I'm skeptical of this because they'll be giving away more bags and seat assignments to lower level elites. If they don't dramatically raise fares, that seems like less revenue to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.