New 2024 revenue based miles and elite status

Old Oct 24, 2023, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
New 2024 revenue based miles and elite status

The Points Guy has a new article showing Frontiers new money spend based system to get redeemable miles and to acquire status.

none of it looks good to me.

Sorry, but I am on my ipad and, for some reason, cannot copy the link.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
https://thepointsguy.com/news/frontier-miles-overhaul/
trmbn65 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 8:54 am

It's easier to get status. So everyone will have it now, making it competitive for stretch seating.

I like it as I basically get 100k status next year for my current 50k status (qualified for it next year as well).
Old Oct 24, 2023, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Smells harder to maintain status, tho. Since 100k’s get all the extra’s free, those won’t generate miles for us. Hence, 100k’s would have to spend a cold, hard $5000 on just airfare. $19 tickets get you absolutely nowhere.
lowfareair, rhwbullhead and nladak like this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 9:02 am

As always with these things, this seems bad as it will be much harder to earn usable points, but perhaps they will still offer bonuses from time to time. I was concerned about the perk for waived points redemption fees being gone, but looks like that's still around.

Not sure how any of this matters as Frontier has shifted into pretty much a Florida destination only airline as they are getting rid of most of their transcons.

Last edited by liberty805; Oct 24, 2023 at 9:13 am
Old Oct 24, 2023, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by liberty805
As always with these things, this is bad, very bad.

My favorite perk, fees waived for using frequent flyer points, seems to be gone.

Status is now worthless.
What do you mean? The Points Guy article indicates it is still there for Silvers and above (so all elite members):"Waived award redemption fees and call center reservation fees"

You really get zero benefit from any other perk? Extra legroom seats, waived change/cancel fees, free carryon, etc?
Old Oct 24, 2023, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by pretzlaff
Smells harder to maintain status, tho. Since 100ks get all the extras free, those wont generate miles for us. Hence, 100ks would have to spend a cold, hard $5000 on just airfare. $19 tickets get you absolutely nowhere.
It looks like it's both revenue spend AND miles flown. I might be reading that wrong, but that's what it appeared to me. 1 mile flown is 1 mile reward... 10-20x the $$ spent is also rewarded as miles

I assume these collect as previously and can be redeemed for flights and not just status. I have 170k miles banked so would like to see clarification on that.

and Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this make the unlimited travel option more appealing? That would count as $$ spent towards status. So buy the $2k yearly option with Platinum status and you would get 32k miles.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 9:19 am

Programs: Frontier (50k), Southwest, Wyndham (Diamond), Hyatt (Discoverist), National (Executive), Amex (Plat)
Originally Posted by cjbryant03
It's easier to get status. So everyone will have it now, making it competitive for stretch seating.
This is my big fear. I will be Gold (previously 20k), so will have to wait until check-in to pick my seat. If everyone and their brother is elite now, that will be a *LOT* harder and will take away a lot of the benefit.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by lowfareair
What do you mean? The Points Guy article indicates it is still there for Silvers and above (so all elite members):"Waived award redemption fees and call center reservation fees"

You really get zero benefit from any other perk? Extra legroom seats, waived change/cancel fees, free carryon, etc?
Yeah, I edited my post after reading the Points Guy article. On the Frontier email I got, they didn't mention the award redemption fees. Glad that perk is still around.
lowfareair likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by aerosly
This is my big fear. I will be Gold (previously 20k), so will have to wait until check-in to pick my seat. If everyone and their brother is elite now, that will be a *LOT* harder and will take away a lot of the benefit.
You get standard seat at booking, premium seat at check in. I think that's the same.

The Platinums get the same for entire party, except the one with status gets premium seat at booking. Thats changed from the 100k as everyone got premium seat at booking.

Also appears that the board first (elite boarding) is gone and only available in Diamond. Everyone else gets zone 1.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 9:25 am

Not a fan of the switch to $-based earning, but at the same time, it feels like a long time coming. The airline offering an $8 base fare r/t (not including gov't passthrough taxes/fees) on something like PHL-FLL/MIA can't sustainably award 3,000 miles for it.

From what I'm seeing, there isn't anything being removed from 100K/Diamond elite status (although companies are great at hiding the removals when announcing updates), and will get some additional benefit out of the Priority Customer Care and the gold status gifting.

The one thing I wish they would offer is a priority check-in/bag tag area, at least in key airports where it's just rearranging some queues rather than needing to lease additional desks. Until then I'm only checking a bag with F9 if I absolutely have to. I've heard way too many horror stories of people missing F9 flights from waiting 2+ hours to check a bag. It seems like something that should have minimal costs to set up.
jjbiv likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 9:28 am

Programs: Frontier (50k), Southwest, Wyndham (Diamond), Hyatt (Discoverist), National (Executive), Amex (Plat)
Originally Posted by cjbryant03
You get standard seat at booking, premium seat at check in. I think that's the same.

Also appears that the board first (elite boarding) is gone and only available in Diamond. Everyone else gets zone 1.
It's the same, but the worry is that if they're handing out status left and right, there will be more people fighting for those premium seats. My worry is that, instead of being virtually guaranteed that you'll get your stretch seat of choice at check-in, it will be a worry as to whether there will be any stretch seats available at all.

The Zone 1 thing isn't such a big deal... as noted in a separate thread, it's hit-or-miss as to whether they even call Elites or not, and they usually call Zone 1 either immediately after or in the same boarding announcement.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by aerosly
It's the same, but the worry is that if they're handing out status left and right, there will be more people fighting for those premium seats. My worry is that, instead of being virtually guaranteed that you'll get your stretch seat of choice at check-in, it will be a worry as to whether there will be any stretch seats available at all.

The Zone 1 thing isn't such a big deal... as noted in a separate thread, it's hit-or-miss as to whether they even call Elites or not, and they usually call Zone 1 either immediately after or in the same boarding announcement.
Yeah that is fair. I've only seen one or two elites on my recent flights, so there aren't many there. This might open it up to more for sure.

But even then, how many people spend that kind of money on Frontier each year? Only those that travel often. most of my flights seem to be for vacation or something like that, not the frequent traveler who racks up a lot of money in flights and whatnot.

So not sure it's going to be a huge wave of people.

And I'm curious on the spend. Is it per transaction? What if two people on the reservation are members? I will have the platinum status and my wife has her own account to accumulate miles with family pooling.

If I book her with me, do I get all the points? Does she get her portion?

Not that it would matter in that instance, but if you fly with friends, who would get the $$ miles?
Old Oct 24, 2023, 9:37 am
Original Poster

From the horse’s mouth:

https://www.flyfrontier.com/frontier...rogram-updates
lowfareair and trmbn65 like this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 9:39 am
Original Poster

The miles for miles flown AND for money spent is only thru the end of the year.
nsx likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.