Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GoWild! All-You-Can-Fly Pass

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2022, 8:04 am

The best way to use this pass is to leverage Southwest Airlines. Book a confirmed trip on Southwest... and see if you can get the same itinerary on Frontier with this pass the day before. If successful, cancel the Southwest ticket. Miles and fees get fully refunded. This way, your travel will be confirmed, and If you could get a handful of flights pay off the pass would probably be worth it. Without this strategy, trying to book anything close to dependable travel would be impossible. And if you have any 'last minute" travel requirements.... (i.e. funeral, or sick elderly relative, or other emergencies) think of it is an insurance policy for a year.
RustyC, jjbiv and GW McLintock like this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: Amex MR, Southwest RR
Originally Posted by RustyC
Would also agree with comments about how they've ALREADY got fares structured so the "airfare" part is next to nothing unless it's a high-demand time (in which case there would be no seats available with this) and how the CIC and ancillary fees are where the real revenue and profit is anyway.

Not earning EQMs or RDMs is a value subtractor, predictably. So I give it two thumbs down. I think you have to be super-flexible AND live in or near one of their biggest hubs with lots of non-stops to places you want to fly.
This. The airfare for my last flight was $0.37, with about 99% of the cost being in taxes and fees. My home airport is MCO and I have flexible availability, but even at the early-bird rate of $600/year, it doesn't seem like a good value to save $0.37 on airfare while giving up predictability, EQ miles and potentially elite perks. I'll pass.
lowfareair likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by ptcflyer
The best way to use this pass is to leverage Southwest Airlines. Book a confirmed trip on Southwest... and see if you can get the same itinerary on Frontier with this pass the day before. If successful, cancel the Southwest ticket. Miles and fees get fully refunded. This way, your travel will be confirmed, and If you could get a handful of flights pay off the pass would probably be worth it. Without this strategy, trying to book anything close to dependable travel would be impossible. And if you have any 'last minute" travel requirements.... (i.e. funeral, or sick elderly relative, or other emergencies) think of it is an insurance policy for a year.
This is a great strategy until Frontier cancels your flight at the last moment and the next flight out is in 2 days. Also I doubt there's that much of a route overlap
Old Nov 16, 2022, 9:12 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
I am out of MCO also and a 100k (at least for the rest of this year). Most of my tickets on Frontier have cost $30 on average when bought at the sweet spot 6 weeks out.

I guess that I am happy to pay the $29.99 for a real ticket well in advance. This also assures an extra leg room seat either thru status or purchase. Also, I then have an assured return ticket, as opposed to spending a night in a hotel at $150 if I can’t get on.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 10:03 am
Original Poster

website update:

I'M ALREADY A FRONTIER MILES ELITE MEMBER. DO I ENJOY MY ELITE BENEFITS ON TICKETS BOOKED USING A GOWILD! PASS?

Yes. Note, however, that tickets booked using a GoWild! Pass are not eligible to earn redeemable Frontier Miles and will not count as Elite status qualifying activity.

HOW MUCH DO TAXES, FEES, AND CHARGES COST PER FLIGHT?

In addition to a fare of $0.01 for each segment booked, government and airport imposed taxes, fees and charges will apply as in effect at the time of booking and are the responsibility of the passholder. An additional carrier interface charge will not apply to GoWild! Pass tickets at the time of booking. Current government and airport taxes, fees and charges start at approximately $14.60 per person, per flight.
https://www.flyfrontier.com/deals/gowild-pass
Old Nov 16, 2022, 10:07 am

GoWild! Questions Answered!

Their FAQ’s now answer two burning questions:

(It won’t let me post the link to the FAQ’s as a new member)

You CAN use your Elite status

and

NO CIC charges!!

also, it confirms you can book connecting flights.

i still want to know how the government and airport taxes and fees start at $14.60 per flight when Southwest one way fees start at $5.60 per flight.

Also, is there any chance when you book your outbound flight 24 hours out that they will let you book a round trip?
Old Nov 16, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: AA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, FPC lifetime Plat, Kohls MVP
I am tempted to buy one as a gift for that senior citizen woman who likes sneaking on flights. That way she gets to fly and less drama at the airports for us frequent flyers. Less costs for taxpayers as she would be in court less.
gudugan likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 10:26 am
Original Poster

If you look on southwest you will see breakdown of fees-
Federal segment fee of $4.50 that will be imposed on each flight segment. Flight segment is defined as a takeoff and a landing.Other taxes
  • Government-imposed September 11th Security Fee starting at $5.60 per one-way trip.
  • Airport assessed Passenger Facility Charges (PFCs) of up to $18.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 10:31 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, AA Plat Pro, F9 Elite 100k
As someone in MCO now knowing the CIC is NOT to be charged, this is more enticing. However, the problems I still see are:

1. I am no longer accruing towards my elite status. This means my travel perks go out the window for 2024. My flying is probably better spent retaining my Delta Platinum status in this case.

2. The obligation of paying bag and seat fees in 2024 (or in 2023 if you don't have Elite status secured already).

3. This could really cost me in hotels and rental cars if I'm unable to get a return flight due to lack of last seat availability.

EDIT: I just looked up Frontier's latest bag fees. I've been disconnected from that for two years as an Elite 100k...ouch!

$65 for a carry-on and $60 for a checked bag EACH way!? That's $250 in bag fees roundtrip. It just gets worse and worse vs a legacy carrier.

Last edited by Cameron B; Nov 16, 2022 at 12:44 pm Reason: Bag Fees
Old Nov 16, 2022, 10:33 am
Original Poster

The $14.60 per flight fee breakdown
ZP - U.S. Domestic Flight Segment Tax $4.50
AY1 - U.S. Passenger Security Fee $5.60
XF - Denver, Co (DEN) Passenger Facility Charge $4.50
Old Nov 16, 2022, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by artedm
The $14.60 per flight fee breakdown
ZP - U.S. Domestic Flight Segment Tax $4.50
AY1 - U.S. Passenger Security Fee $5.60
XF - Denver, Co (DEN) Passenger Facility Charge $4.50
thanks for the breakdown. I’m used to using points to book travel on southwest and only paying the $5.60. I guess they don’t have to charge the other fees/taxes for reward travel.

F9 is making a point to charge $0.01 to show this isn’t reward travel, so the other taxes/fees must still be applicable.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 6:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
If they bring back status match in December ... I might be tempted ...
If no status match, definitely not
Old Nov 17, 2022, 2:04 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
After seeing confirmation CIC isn't charged and elite benefits are honored, I decided to go in on this.
pretzlaff and jebr like this.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 6:00 am

As someone who has never flown Frontier before, can you all recommend if this pass is a good option for me?
Both myself and my spouse are active duty military. We have 1 child (8 months old) and currently live in Japan. We will be moving to Philadelphia in May. Additionally, both of our families live in Orlando. Frontier flies direct Philly to Orlando. Also, as military we receive 1x free carry-on and checked bag. We don't normally purchase seats and won't die if we have to sit apart from each other for the 2.5 hr flight. Lastly, our son will be under 2 for the majority of the time we'd have the pass (turns 2 in March 2024), so he'd also fly free as a lap baby. In this situation, would you recommend we jump in on the $599 price? How many trips to and from MCO do you think it would take for us to break even?
Old Nov 17, 2022, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by beonks
As someone who has never flown Frontier before, can you all recommend if this pass is a good option for me?Both myself and my spouse are active duty military. We have 1 child (8 months old) and currently live in Japan. We will be moving to Philadelphia in May. Additionally, both of our families live in Orlando. Frontier flies direct Philly to Orlando. Also, as military we receive 1x free carry-on and checked bag. We don't normally purchase seats and won't die if we have to sit apart from each other for the 2.5 hr flight. Lastly, our son will be under 2 for the majority of the time we'd have the pass (turns 2 in March 2024), so he'd also fly free as a lap baby. In this situation, would you recommend we jump in on the $599 price? How many trips to and from MCO do you think it would take for us to break even?
​​​​​​​are you ok with last minute bookings and possibly not having a flight home? What is there is only one seat available?

​​​​​​​ If so, then might be worth it. But PHL>MCO is usually pretty cheap and often gets in the $30 range roundtrip for regular tickets. Personally I would go that route than doing this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.