Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Frontier Airlines | Frontier Miles Program
Reload this Page >

WSJ News Alert: Frontier Group, Spirit Airlines Merge in $6.6 Billion Deal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WSJ News Alert: Frontier Group, Spirit Airlines Merge in $6.6 Billion Deal

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2022, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by lewisc
A good reason why luggage should have wheels which are easy to remove
Spinner bags are designed on the assumption that airlines won't count the wheels when measuring. The wheels are entirely outside the bag's dimensions so when the bag is measured including wheels you're effectively throwing away several inches of the height. Some of us still prefer the old rollaboard style where the wheels are recessed in the bag and are bitter about the lack of selection now that every manufacturer is catering almost exclusively for the demand for spinners.

To clarify: I'm not saying they *shouldn't* count the wheels. Just that historically when measurements were a bit looser they often didn't. But they definitely always were supposed to.

Last edited by zkzkz; Feb 8, 2022 at 11:30 am
Old Feb 8, 2022, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by zkzkz
Spinner bags are designed on the assumption that airlines won't count the wheels when measuring. The wheels are entirely outside the bag's dimensions so when the bag is measured including wheels you're effectively throwing away several inches of the height. Some of us still prefer the old rollaboard style where the wheels are recessed in the bag and are bitter about the lack of selection now that every manufacturer is catering almost exclusively for the demand for spinners.
I never understood that argument. The wheels take up space in the overhead bin; back when spinners were new, I very often had trouble closing the bin door because it would hit the wheels and ended up seeing a lot of those bags get gate checked. If the wheels didn't take up space, I would understand, but they do, and IMO the space between them is wasted.

-J.
jjbiv, jiburi and psusaver like this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 2:59 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pretzlaff
Such sad news. Frontier was bad enough. I really have no desire to deal with anything Spirit. The culture and pax are far worse than Frontier!
Happens on both as people have said. This just popped into my news feed
Crazy frontier passenger last night article
pretzlaff likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
Happens on both as people have said. This just popped into my news feed
Crazy frontier passenger last night article
While I haven't seen anything like this in my over 50+ F9 SFO - LAS flights, what I have noticed is that, for whatever reason, there are more pax than I'm used to who simply don't follow deboarding etiquette, such as exiting by row in turn. I can't ever recall so many instances where passengers would just start filing into the line to deboard even before the row in front of them have had a chance to exit. At least during my experience, this is a regular occurrence, which is becoming a little annoying.

It's like the gate lice thing, but when you exit the plane.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:18 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Visconti
While I haven't seen anything like this in my over 50+ F9 SFO - LAS flights, what I have noticed is that, for whatever reason, there are more pax than I'm used to who simply don't follow deboarding etiquette, such as exiting by row in turn. I can't ever recall so many instances where passengers would just start filing into the line to deboard even before the row in front of them have had a chance to exit. At least during my experience, this is a regular occurrence, which is becoming a little annoying.

I haven't flown legacy airlines in years so wasn't sure if behavior just changed overall. I see this all the time. It also seems that on my F9 flights, more often than not, someone gets up while the plane is taxing to gate after landing. Didn't seem to happen that often when I flew United. Two flights ago on LAS-ORD, some guy got up and opened the overhead bin just after the plane left the runway.

I guess it's people that are not used to flying and you'd think it was standard to not get up like that. I get when it happens when the plane stops short of the gate or right before the seatbelt sign gets off, but it happens frequently while the plane is nowhere near the gate.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
My brother in YUL used to fly often from PBG-FLL as some of the kids live near FLL. He was perfectly happy with the experience and the costs (especially compared to flying ex-YUL). It's a short drive from Montreal to Plattsburgh and we grew up always going there to shop. At just 100km (about 63 miles), he would park at the airport and shop on the way home. Given the proximity and what I assume were decent pax numbers, PBG airport called itself "The official website for Plattsburgh International Airport, Montréal's U.S. Airport". (There were also flights to MYR).

However, in Sept 2020, the local media reported "Citing COVID-19's impact on the airline industry, officials announced in early September that Spirit was halting flights from the Plattsburgh".

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Even if Frontier is the surviving brand, they will either need to come up with a lot more animals very quickly or create a new generic design.

Perhaps a good compromise would be Tweety or Big Bird.

-J.
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress
New airline should be called Spit, catchy and appropriate!
​​​​​​​

It seems this person had some free time to be creative.

​​​​​​​
Old Feb 10, 2022, 11:51 am

I haven't flown legacy airlines in years so wasn't sure if behavior just changed overall. I see this all the time. It also seems that on my F9 flights, more often than not, someone gets up while the plane is taxing to gate after landing. Didn't seem to happen that often when I flew United. Two flights ago on LAS-ORD, some guy got up and opened the overhead bin just after the plane left the runway.
Yeah, I experience this quite a bit too. Maybe more than 1/2 the time, you'll hear the "please sit, active runway," or someone getting up while taxiing. One time, I heard a pax suggest to the FA, "I think there's someone knocking on the door." The FA smiled, and replied, "thank you, I know how to do my job, thanks." While it can be an adventure, it can add some fun color on a short flight--I'm not up for a long haul though, which may be too much of a good thing.

I guess it's people that are not used to flying and you'd think it was standard to not get up like that. I get when it happens when the plane stops short of the gate or right before the seatbelt sign gets off, but it happens frequently while the plane is nowhere near the gate.
Since the pandemic, I've started to notice some things I never before. For instance, I see folks with regularity busting their own plates at the Amex CL; or, keep using the same plate when getting more food. It just seems so unnatural to me. I mean, let the servers to their job, otherwise they'll be out of one.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by Visconti

Fwiw, I think this is a style of deboarding, and I've seen it a lot in the EU. That is, rather than waiting for each row to open the bin, wrangle their stuff, and leave (let's call this "Method A") the opposite happens: preference is given to the "already queued passengers" in the aisle with their bags who are waiting behind the "current row" (let's call this "Method B"). In reality how this plays out is an interweaving of both methods, where everyone stands up in the aisle simultaneously and retrieves their bags at the same time (as is normal). Then, the deboarding switches back and forth between the "current row" and the "already queued passengers." The result is a stream of deboarding passengers more rapid than Method A alone, where every so often a passenger in the "current row" alleviates the built-up queue by signaling to the "already queued passengers" that they may pass.

Certainly it can be jarring for those familiar with one method to be exposed to the other, as I was the first time I saw Method B. Equally, those familiar with Method B may find Method A jarring or lacking etiquette, the first time they see it. Though Method A is way more common in the US and therefore expected in the US.

Ultimately, I think Method B (or at least the interweaving of both) is faster, as it prevents a backlog of passengers just waiting in the aisle for the "current row" to sort themselves out. In the case of some 737s, it also prevents tail-tips.

It's possible I am misunderstanding your description though. If you are, instead, describing how a small group of passengers immediately got up before anyone else did (e.g. before the seatbelt chime), retrieved their bags, and sauntered to the very front nary a care in the world (like I saw on a recent non-F9 flight), that is not Method B, and indeed uninformed.
chica likes this.

Last edited by futuramadramallama; Feb 10, 2022 at 6:10 pm
Old Feb 10, 2022, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
It's possible I am misunderstanding your description though. If you are, instead, describing how a small group of passengers immediately got up before anyone else did (e.g. before the seatbelt chime), retrieved their bags, and sauntered to the very front nary a care in the world (like I saw on a recent non-F9 flight), that is not Method B, and indeed uninformed.
This. Several will get up, retrieve their bags, then make a dash up the aisle and get as far up as they can before anyone on the aisle has a chance to retrieve theirs. I rarely chose the aisle on F9, but when I do, the moment the jet stops, I'll unbuckle and get my bags and my seat mates rather quickly in hopes of stemming something like that from going on.

Method B I don't mind, so long as the person allows me a chance to waive him/her through; I don't like it when he/she tries to push past me as I'm getting out.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:19 pm

story in wall street journal:

The Man Who Transformed Flying Finally Gets His Spirit-Frontier Deal

William Franke, Frontier’s chairman, helped popularize the ultra-low-cost airline model in the U.S. and around the world

Mr. Franke brought America West out of bankruptcy reorganization in
1994. Mr. Franke became America West’s chairman and eventually its CEO, helping to slash costs and stabilize the airline’s finances. He hired Doug Parker and Scott Kirby —now the top executives at American Airlines Group Inc. and
United Airlines Holdings Inc
Old Mar 7, 2022, 1:59 pm

Programs: ual 1k, marriott platinum
Have flown F9 multiple times. No complaints. With the merger hope Denver will get more Carribean/south america options. Not holding my breath though.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 12:47 pm

This Jetblue drama really has me scratching my head. Really do not get what they see here. Is it really just to make F9 pay more or to blow up the deal altogether? I don't see F9 paying 50% more than they originally agreed to, there really isn't much cost savings to be had. Incremental revenue generation will be even harder when the business model is to convince someone to fly because its so cheap. You cannot count on doubling your low prices, all you will get is pushback from customers who already have figured out if they pay for seats and bags they are getting close to the price they pay with the others.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by willy702
This Jetblue drama really has me scratching my head. Really do not get what they see here. Is it really just to make F9 pay more or to blow up the deal altogether? I don't see F9 paying 50% more than they originally agreed to, there really isn't much cost savings to be had. Incremental revenue generation will be even harder when the business model is to convince someone to fly because its so cheap. You cannot count on doubling your low prices, all you will get is pushback from customers who already have figured out if they pay for seats and bags they are getting close to the price they pay with the others.
It wouldn't be F9 paying... it would be Indigo Partners (the investment firm that owns F9). They may be willing to pay a premium similar to how Alaska paid a premium to acquire Virgin America.

-J.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 2:09 pm

I can't see JetBlue getting much out of Spirit, except eliminating some competition and gaining some airplanes. The Fleets are compatible.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I can't see JetBlue getting much out of Spirit, except eliminating some competition and gaining some airplanes. The Fleets are compatible.
Yeah, feels like maybe they just want the planes, some of the slots, and the hard to find pilots for a similar fleet. Frankly if I'm F9 I welcome this move, remove much of the impact of the competitor and I don't have to overpay to do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.