Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Frontier Airlines | Frontier Miles Program
Reload this Page >

WSJ News Alert: Frontier Group, Spirit Airlines Merge in $6.6 Billion Deal

WSJ News Alert: Frontier Group, Spirit Airlines Merge in $6.6 Billion Deal

Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:36 am

Somehow I think that The JetBlue merger is more likely to face strong opposition from regulators as it will remove a major low cost competitor from the industry. I think that the Frontier Spirit combination was more likely to be approved since they are similar operations.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Somehow I think that The JetBlue merger is more likely to face strong opposition from regulators as it will remove a major low cost competitor from the industry. I think that the Frontier Spirit combination was more likely to be approved since they are similar operations.
I think there is a benefit to the JetBlue offer, in that it provides an alternative to the big 4. Frontier doesnt really provide that. Frontier is a unique animal on its own.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I think there is a benefit to the JetBlue offer, in that it provides an alternative to the big 4. Frontier doesnt really provide that. Frontier is a unique animal on its own.
I see what you did there. Nicely done.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 9:26 pm

If JetBlue wins I think you see Frontier slip out of its disciplined path and allow fares to creep up. The only factor that will force them back to efficiency is a new competitor which as sure as the sun rises will be coming. ULCC is just too good a model to pass up especially now since the super low fares are gone.

And I don't buy for a second that most passengers won't buy a Frontier flight because of quality or experience. If the pricing was close sure that could be true, but when a route is $300+ on the majors and $88 on Frontier who exactly says it's not worth it?
jebr likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by willy702
If JetBlue wins I think you see Frontier slip out of its disciplined path and allow fares to creep up. The only factor that will force them back to efficiency is a new competitor which as sure as the sun rises will be coming. ULCC is just too good a model to pass up especially now since the super low fares are gone.

And I don't buy for a second that most passengers won't buy a Frontier flight because of quality or experience. If the pricing was close sure that could be true, but when a route is $300+ on the majors and $88 on Frontier who exactly says it's not worth it?
Frontier will still have Allegiant as a competitor, and they do share a lot of the same markets. But I agree in that if Spirit gets acquired by JB we will see a new ULCC hit the market. Whether that's a brand new company or growth from Avelo or Air Bahn or another company (maybe GlobalX) remains to be seen.

-J.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 11:29 am

just saw this banner on F9 site... is the merger with Spirit a done deal?
Attached Images  
Old Jul 22, 2022, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston
just saw this banner on F9 site... is the merger with Spirit a done deal?
That same banner has been there awhile, I think it went up the day the original agreement to merge was announced.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 3:57 pm

As of the 19th the shareholder vote has been postponed, for the 4th time. Spirit is recommending taking the Frontier offer, not the JetBlue on because they think the JetBlue offer will have trouble getting approved.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Jul 25, 2022 at 1:33 pm
Old Jul 22, 2022, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by willy702
That same banner has been there awhile, I think it went up the day the original agreement to merge was announced.
ah, nvm; guess i didn't log in often or pay close attention
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:03 pm

breaking news: Spirit called off merger with Frontier
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:33 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Surprising nobody.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 4:59 pm

More like Spirit shareholders seeing JetBlue offering piles of cash said no thanks to Frontier.
delpiero223 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Yayyyyy! I was rooting against Frontier merging with Spirit. As basic and spartan as Frontier is, at least it's not Spirit. Better FAs and much better FF program, focused on making the flying experience more tolerable for elites. Spirit has more of a no-stone-unturned mentality there.

I do hope DOJ takes a review seriously and demands concessions if necessary.

I s'pose Frontier could try to buy Allegiant if they just have to buy something.

As an aside, I'm disappointed they haven't found some mildly humorous way to incorporate this whole thing into one of their sales. Maybe something like, "Now you know: We don't believe in paying too much, and neither should you!"
GW McLintock likes this.

Last edited by RustyC; Jul 29, 2022 at 7:52 pm
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:56 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
probably time to update this thread with results of the attempt.

It will be interesting where Frontier goes from here. Every airlines, including Frontier will need to gaining more pilots, and what Jetblue did was a smart way of recruiting experienced one plus expansion thru purchase. Frontier could be ripe for different takeover. Who else wants experienced pilot and have cash or asset on their hand?

Jiburi
Old Aug 2, 2022, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
There is an active thread on this topic in the JetBlue forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetb...on-merger.html

-J.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.