Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more DirecTv for Summits eff. Aug 1st, 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA
Here is the reply I got to my email:

Thank you for contacting Customer Relations and for your loyalty to Frontier Airlines. It is my pleasure to respond.

We understand your disappointment as a Summit member with our decision to remove DirecTV as a complimentary amenity and we appreciate your loyalty to Frontier. As Frontier transitions our business model to that of an Ultra Low Cost Carrier, we are reviewing our product offerings and the costs associated with each program and the benefits we provide. The decision to discontinue providing complimentary DirectTV came out of this review. However, in appreciation of Summit member loyalty and our desire to uphold our commitment to our best customers, we are providing an alternative amenity of one of our onboard snack-box offerings.

Please be assured that we value our Summit customers. This is the first change to our elite benefits in nearly three years. Additionally, we have exempted Summit members from new fees for carry-on bags and onboard beverages. It is our aim to continue providing great value to Summit members who travel with us.

Thank you again for your email. We hope to see you onboard Frontier again soon.

Kind regards,

<removed>
Frontier Airlines Customer Relations
Old Jul 19, 2013, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by German Expat
Here is the reply I got to my email:

Thank you for contacting Customer Relations and for your loyalty to Frontier Airlines. It is my pleasure to respond.

We understand your disappointment as a Summit member with our decision to remove DirecTV as a complimentary amenity and we appreciate your loyalty to Frontier. As Frontier transitions our business model to that of an Ultra Low Cost Carrier, we are reviewing our product offerings and the costs associated with each program and the benefits we provide. The decision to discontinue providing complimentary DirectTV came out of this review. However, in appreciation of Summit member loyalty and our desire to uphold our commitment to our best customers, we are providing an alternative amenity of one of our onboard snack-box offerings.

Please be assured that we value our Summit customers. This is the first change to our elite benefits in nearly three years. Additionally, we have exempted Summit members from new fees for carry-on bags and onboard beverages. It is our aim to continue providing great value to Summit members who travel with us.

Thank you again for your email. We hope to see you onboard Frontier again soon.

Kind regards,

<removed>
Frontier Airlines Customer Relations
Translation: "We got your e-mail. It's about as effective as all the others we've gotten. Despite pissing you off, we're counting on the fact that all the alternatives are even worse. Bye."
Old Jul 19, 2013, 6:51 pm

I agree, I didn't expect a different answer but figured if some people write at least it gives them something to think about.
The problem I will have going forward is that the ultra low cost carrier model won't really work for me as a business customer.
I did value their stretch seating, friendlier service, decent fresh food and no nickle and diming.
What makes me worried is that they even need to mention the new bag fees for carry ons and free soft drinks and having extended that to Summits.
In any case I will roll with the punches and see how it turns out before making any changes.
TV alone won't break it, I didn't watch it much anyway except for football and for the couple times will just pay for it. It is just interesting though because I doubt any business traveler can expense TV unlike Internet or even food bought on board.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: United Premier Executive ; Frontier Summit

By Republic Flight Attendant that all TVs will be deactivated August 6th. Anyone else heard same???
Old Jul 26, 2013, 1:16 pm

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tombourn
By Republic Flight Attendant that all TVs will be deactivated August 6th. Anyone else heard same???
Well that makes some sense since cutting a promised elite benefit mid year is a little bonkers otherwise.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 1:57 pm

Didn't hear the same but not sure why they would do it. The equipment is in there anyway and should generate a bit of revenue for them.
Also why would they cut it off for the frequent flyer members with some goofy explanation rather then just waiting until August 6th not to loose so much goodwill.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 2:22 pm

Again that was a Republic FA. So she may just like causing F9 customers fits
Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:12 pm

FWIW, I was on a flight recently where all the TVs were shut off. No explanation from the flight attendants. However, on my return flight a few days later, all TVs were working.

Anecdotally, I have noticed the FAs don't really hype up the TV option anymore. They talk about drink prices, snack boxes, etc, but I haven't heard any FA encourage sales of the DirecTV service in a while.

I agree that it would be weird to shut down the service with all the equipment already onboard, but I don't know the ins and outs of their contract with LiveTV. Maybe it has to do with considerations other than revenue (maybe their contract is up for renewal and LiveTV is jacking up prices? Who knows?)
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Hoping the August 6th rumor isn't true will be flying ILG to IAH on the 14th returning the 19th and it would be a nice feature for the 3.5 hour flight
Old Jul 31, 2013, 6:34 pm

Looks like loss of TV is the least of our worries. Good bye Stretch, Ascent and Summit!!!

Last edited by tombourn; Jul 31, 2013 at 6:34 pm Reason: Grammar
Old Jul 31, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Looks like loss of TV is the least of our worries. Good bye Stretch, Ascent and Summit!!!
That probably won't happen till the beginning of the year. I've told my parents who have 44K each in their early returns accounts to use their awards ASAP. They already have 3 RT Tickets planned ILG-SNA in November. Just have to figure out a nice place for them to book their last award trip, how is Denver in September??
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:28 pm

Unfortunately I fear the same that status will not mean anything. anymore I hope that for 2014 they might still leave it but their way to being a ULCC is clear. Just look at Spirit for the future.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
how is Denver in September??
I would imagine it is great. Sunny days and cool nights.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:09 pm

Anybody fly today under the new rules? Any changes?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
I would imagine it is great. Sunny days and cool nights.
+1. September is great

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.