No more DirecTv for Summits eff. Aug 1st, 2013

Old Jul 8, 13, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold
No more DirecTv for Summits eff. Aug 1st, 2013

Benefit Change Effective Aug. 1, 2013
Dear Kurt,

We are writing to let you know of a change to your Summit benefits. Unfortunately, we will no longer be able to provide complimentary in-flight TV effective Aug. 1, 2013. Because of this change and to uphold our commitment to you, we’ll be offering you the choice of a complimentary onboard snack box or snack to replace this benefit. Please show your boarding pass or membership card to the flight attendant to receive your complimentary snack.

To view all your elite benefits, visit FlyFrontier.com. Thank you again for being a loyal Summit member on Frontier Airlines.

Sincerely,

Daniel Shurz
Sr. Vice President Commercial
/sigh of course I'll be flying them in August after having switched primarily to Delta after Frontier stopped flying out of Provo...
Old Jul 8, 13, 3:37 pm

Just got my notice. Frontier must be in serious trouble-- no more fresh food, no more TV to Summit members-- they are really alienating its loyal members.
Old Jul 8, 13, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Yet Southwest just announced free live TV via Dish on their WiFi-enabled planes...
Old Jul 8, 13, 3:46 pm

I would switch to Southwest but it is MUCH harder to reach their top tier vs. Frontier. But gotta wonder if the remaining Summit benefits are worth it.
Old Jul 8, 13, 3:47 pm

Programs: Southwest A-list PREF, MR Plt Premier
Ouch. Really liked the free TV so I could watch CNBC. Also I liked being able to get a breakfast burrito because my connection in Denver is too short to grab food. I do MCI-DEN-SEA most Monday mornings. Suddenly frontier isn't as attractive an option.
Old Jul 8, 13, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, Summit miles are only 5k more than Silver Medallion on Delta
Old Jul 8, 13, 4:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Silver, Delta Silver, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
This is just weird.

SW announces FREE TV for ALL and then F9 pulls free TV from its best customers?

Didn't F9 think about how this would look before they decided to do it?
Old Jul 8, 13, 5:27 pm

I got it today, also. Really? We are getting snack boxes instead? This is really messed up. It's pretty easy. Swipe the card... There cannot be that many Summits that it makes a difference in revenue...
Old Jul 8, 13, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Ascents dropped too (of course). Not even a discounted rate, Frontier? Of all the race-to-the-bottom strategies an airline can employ, this one has to be one of the most stupid.

This definitely opens me up to WN and other options in the future.
Old Jul 8, 13, 10:34 pm

As one of the rare people who has never had F9 status but will achieve it this year, I am very disappointed to hear this. This is the benefit I was most looking forward to. Although, as I am mostly a short-haul flier, it's not a deal killer. Still looking forward to the fee-free premium seats (hopefully that won't be the next thing to go!)

I wonder if their plan is to stop printing cards for Summit/Ascent members. Can't imagine that costs THAT much, though..
Old Jul 9, 13, 6:36 am

Programs: UA 1k,Marriott LT PLT, Hilton Diamond /HYATT Plat, Hertz Pres, National Exec
Started flying F9 again this year and did the Summit match. Don't see much reason to fly them now as the free tv was one of the things that flying them I did enjoy.

I too don't get why they would pull this after the Southwest announcement.
Old Jul 9, 13, 9:38 am

Rumblings that Frontier is moving away from LiveTV/DirecTV altogether. Not sure if this is related to the decision...But just another move toward Spirit-style flying.
Old Jul 9, 13, 11:09 am

Frontier TV

Time to go back to Southwest. I was sucked in by the free TV (am Summit member) and free cookie (forgave them for stopping that). I always enjoyed Southwest better but I gave in to the "stuff" Frontier offered. Now I will get free Wi-Fi and Dish (for a while anyway). Dumb move by Frontier to alienate their best customers. I generally don't drink on the flights so the alcohol isn't an issue. They should change the policy and offer choices of perks at ticketing. Allow 2 of the three offers maybe. Can't wait to give my seat mates free alcohol until my currently booked flights are done. I will despise them on the August flights I have already scheduled.
Old Jul 9, 13, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by freakdog View Post
I got it today, also. Really? We are getting snack boxes instead? This is really messed up. It's pretty easy. Swipe the card... There cannot be that many Summits that it makes a difference in revenue...
I would tend to agree with the bolded statement, but it looks like they're just going to re-do everything that they can. ULCC or bust
Old Jul 9, 13, 1:38 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, F9 Summit
I can't how i feel about this. I've almost always bought classic plus so it hasn't mattered to me. I'd like to see them add more Gogo (and gogo vision) to the fleet (full disclosure I work for gogo.) If I really need TV I'd just buy it. Snack box does nothing to me as I have celiac disease.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: