Community
Wiki Posts
Search

white sneakers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:54 pm

I tried on ballet style shoes with the flowers or pom-poms but they are so flat that they will hurt after awhile and remember the cobblestone streets will not be too forgiving. I found the Clarks are pretty good so far for walking, not too cute but may have to do. Will save my girlie ones for dinner and travel days. Bon voyage!
Old Jun 13, 2011, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by ladyteathyme
I tried on ballet style shoes with the flowers or pom-poms but they are so flat that they will hurt after awhile and remember the cobblestone streets will not be too forgiving. I found the Clarks are pretty good so far for walking, not too cute but may have to do. Will save my girlie ones for dinner and travel days. Bon voyage!
Ironic that you two ladies bring this topic up as my sister is in the same predicament. We're going in 4 weeks and she is planning to way dresses during the day but she is bringing flip flops to wear during the day thinking that they will be comfortable. I don't know if they will or won't and I told her to get a pair of Croc sandals we saw but she ignored me. She's going for more cute over comfort.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:27 pm

[QUOTE=Playboy;16555721]Ironic that you two ladies bring this topic up as my sister is in the same predicament. We're going in 4 weeks and she is planning to way dresses during the day but she is bringing flip flops to wear during the day thinking that they will be comfortable. I don't know if they will or won't and I told her to get a pair of Croc sandals we saw but she ignored me. She's going for more cute over comfort.[/QUOTE

She may want to bring her comfy shoes in her purse to change if need be. I wore the shoes I was bringing while running my normal weekend errands as an experiment, my feet pulsated that night, so glad I tried them out first instead of the hard way.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 4:27 am

[QUOTE=ladyteathyme;16556545]
Originally Posted by Playboy
Ironic that you two ladies bring this topic up as my sister is in the same predicament. We're going in 4 weeks and she is planning to way dresses during the day but she is bringing flip flops to wear during the day thinking that they will be comfortable. I don't know if they will or won't and I told her to get a pair of Croc sandals we saw but she ignored me. She's going for more cute over comfort.[/QUOTE

She may want to bring her comfy shoes in her purse to change if need be. I wore the shoes I was bringing while running my normal weekend errands as an experiment, my feet pulsated that night, so glad I tried them out first instead of the hard way.
Good idea.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ladyteathyme
The Anne Klein Flex ones have rubber on the sole. Yes they are flat but maybe you could put an arch support in them.
And sorry Playboy---I can't imagine any woman being caught dead wearing Crocs in Paris. Personally I wouldn't even wear them in Bum Fock, Ia but I would go barefoot before being seen in Paris with Crocs. Flip flops can be comfortable--just carry band-aids in case of blisters.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:44 am

Talking

Originally Posted by corky
The Anne Klein Flex ones have rubber on the sole. Yes they are flat but maybe you could put an arch support in them.
And sorry Playboy---I can't imagine any woman being caught dead wearing Crocs in Paris. Personally I wouldn't even wear them in Bum Fock, Ia but I would go barefoot before being seen in Paris with Crocs. Flip flops can be comfortable--just carry band-aids in case of blisters.
Normally I would agree, however these Crocs didn't look like your normal Crocs. These sandals were low profile with a slim look and nice rubber sole. But hey, it's not my feet. I'm going to comfortable in my loafers.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 5:39 pm

ok ladies, I know where you're coming from. As an American who has lived in Paris for 3 years, at first I struggled with comfortable shoes to find here.

Let me give you some suggestions

These are the most popular shoes in Paris for the under 40 crowd for just walking around - ie, going to the market, walking to work, etc: bensimon lacets

ballerina's like this are good, too: sample 1 and sample 2

The three links are from a popular french online store, la redoute.

Just my 2 cents on fitting in, shoe wise
Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:06 pm

Thank you for the advice. I have seen similar shoes here, multi colors to choose from as well. I still have a week before I leave so hopefully I can decide on a pair. I do have a pair of high tops, white and green, (Im a 80's girl ) that I adore, that I might just have to sneak in my bags.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 6:13 pm

Fashion?

Why is it that when tourists come to America and experience culture shock, this is normal, but when American tourists go to a different country and experience culture shock, they are labeled as ignorant American tourists. Should Americans know everything about every other culture? This is the first time I've found out that other countries wear more "formal" shoes and don't wear tshirts or blue jeans. I own formal black shoes and a pair of chucks and an old pair of tennis shoes. It's slightly disheartening to hear that if I don't want to be chastised as an American overseas, I have to buy a new pair of "nice" shoes and a new wardrobe, especially as a college student.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Welcome to FlyerTalk, MightyDMan!

You make a good point about culture shock, and I'd guess that Americans experience culture shock in Europe about as much as Europeans experience culture shock in the United States. In this thread, however, people don't seem to be discussing culture shock so much as certain ways for Americans to fit in while travelling in Europe. One of the common suggestions, for example, is to avoid wearing white sneakers.

On the other hand, if you don't care about standing out, then there's no requirement to change your wardrobe. Different strokes for different folks!
Old Jul 15, 2011, 9:44 pm

Europeans wear jeans alot and they love to buy their jeans in America. Better prices, better selection. In European cities when you are touristing the museums and cathedrals, on the streets you are seeing office workers dressed for business just as you do in American cities. It is true that even in jeans, Europeans tend to put more effort into a fashionable, groomed appearance than the average American college student. One thing that surely marks an American is the looser fit that we prefer, but what's wrong with that? You will be fine in jeans and chukkas. Just no shirts with slogans.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by MightyDMan
Why is it that when tourists come to America and experience culture shock, this is normal, but when American tourists go to a different country and experience culture shock, they are labeled as ignorant American tourists. Should Americans know everything about every other culture? This is the first time I've found out that other countries wear more "formal" shoes and don't wear tshirts or blue jeans. I own formal black shoes and a pair of chucks and an old pair of tennis shoes. It's slightly disheartening to hear that if I don't want to be chastised as an American overseas, I have to buy a new pair of "nice" shoes and a new wardrobe, especially as a college student.
I was just in Paris. Ditch the "nice" shoes and go for comfort.

Chances are you will be walking a ton as its easy to get around and you won't want blisters on your feet.

NOBODY was watching my feet even though first and second day I wore Born sandals, third day I bought black keds lookalikes from H&M just to be somewhat comfy as feet were blistered beyond belief from walking so much there and in London earlier in week.

I had searched all over Paris for comfy shoes and couldn't find any within a reasonable price. I have concluded they just don't have them over there!
Old Jul 16, 2011, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by MightyDMan
Why is it that when tourists come to America and experience culture shock, this is normal, but when American tourists go to a different country and experience culture shock, they are labeled as ignorant American tourists.
Um, I'm pretty sure that foreigners visiting America are strongly labeled as ignorant and foolish if they don't adopt the "American way". It actually much worse there. Guys may wear Speedo type swimsuits in Europe, but God help them if they try that in Chicago.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:45 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by stimpy
Um, I'm pretty sure that foreigners visiting America are strongly labeled as ignorant and foolish if they don't adopt the "American way". It actually much worse there. Guys may wear Speedo type swimsuits in Europe, but God help them if they try that in Chicago.
Indeed. Try explaining to an American that in France, men can wear ONLY speedos in public swimming pools and that there's nothing wrong about wearing one.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by kukukajoo
I was just in Paris. Ditch the "nice" shoes and go for comfort.

I had searched all over Paris for comfy shoes and couldn't find any within a reasonable price. I have concluded they just don't have them over there!
Hey, Mephistos are so much cheaper in France, or would be if not for the exchange rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.