Community
Wiki Posts
Search

white sneakers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2011, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

white sneakers

how "badly" would one be looked upon for doing so in Paris. I keep on hearing different opinions.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Just being a tourist is no problem in sneakers. If you are here for formal business or wish to dine in a formal restaurant, then no.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 1:55 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Agree with stimpy. I would add that for casual dining, black sneakers would be far better, although not required, than white.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Also your white sneaks will likely get smudged and gray after a couple days in Paris. It's not Singapore.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 3:42 am

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
You'll see a lot of Clarks-style casual/functional shoes like these here:

Men: http://www.spartoo.com/Redskins-TRUAND-x39853.php
Women: http://www.spartoo.com/Bionat-MUSETTE-x72508.php

You'll definitely NOT see Continental Europeans wearing anything made for sports, unless they're playing sports. Otherwise the shoes above are the most casual one will go.

Last edited by imagineertobe; Feb 25, 2011 at 3:53 am Reason: Clarifying the last line.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 3:49 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by imagineertobe
You'll see a lot of Clarks-style casual/functional shoes like these here:

Men: http://www.spartoo.com/Redskins-TRUAND-x39853.php
Women: http://www.spartoo.com/Bionat-MUSETTE-x72508.php
This is definitely what I had in mind.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I usually wear more "stlyish" shoes here in the US as well, but I am a little worried having to do multiple miles of walking, a regular running shoe would probably be most comfortable. However I don't want to look like a complete outcast
Old Feb 26, 2011, 5:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ChosenGSR
Thanks everyone, I usually wear more "stlyish" shoes here in the US as well, but I am a little worried having to do multiple miles of walking, a regular running shoe would probably be most comfortable. However I don't want to look like a complete outcast
I was walking along the Yarra River in wonder Melbourne Australia in 2001 when a woman cycled past me laughing and said ' I know you are American'. I caught her to ask how she know. She said it was the white athletic socks
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:18 pm

White sneakers in Paris is like wearing a sign on your back that says "Kettle".

Last edited by Mountain Trader; Feb 27, 2011 at 4:20 am
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:53 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
When in France I usually use black New Balance with dark socks. That avoids any looks at all, including in Paris. As Stimpy says, never wear them to a fine restaurant, or even a medium one. They'll let you in, probably, but you'll be marked as worse than a kettle, an ignorant yank kettle.

People in Paris are usually helpful, but they tend to dislike nationalistic marks. Thus the shorts with socks and sandals are a dead giveaway for a German tourist. The white sneakers with white socks are Americans.

Maybe there are more people who do not fit the stereotypes than do, but it is wise to avoid being stereotyped at all if you are able to do so.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:17 am

This thread is so funny it makes me laugh.

When I go to Paris in July, I plan to wear shorts and 3 button polo shirts from J Crew with Cole Haan penny loafers and loafer socks. When I go to dinner or a bar/lounge/club I'll wear really dark jeans, with loafers and a long sleeved checked dress shirts. It's the same style I have here in the States.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Playboy
This thread is so funny it makes me laugh.

When I go to Paris in July, I plan to wear shorts and 3 button polo shirts from J Crew with Cole Haan penny loafers and loafer socks. When I go to dinner or a bar/lounge/club I'll wear really dark jeans, with loafers and a long sleeved checked dress shirts. It's the same style I have here in the States.
Yes, but you clearly have an understanding of classic male fashion that's compatible with French norms; the "kettles" as referenced above don't.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:52 pm

Please avoid any kind of shorts or sandals in Paris :

- wear shorts only if you are 10 years old or less
- use sandals only if you are a german tourist or a monk

sneakers ... white is ok if you (wish to) look like a student, then white socks are ok also, only in this case. Dark sneakers are preferred, with dark socks.

But don't worry, nobody will stone you anyway.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: CO PLT, DL GM, Hertz President Circle, SPG Platinum
HA! White sneakers is the same as wearing the flag accross your shoulders. It is how you pick out Americans around the world
Old Feb 28, 2011, 5:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Talking If white sneakers and white socks are not enough

Originally Posted by idriveuride
HA! White sneakers is the same as wearing the flag accross your shoulders. It is how you pick out Americans around the world
Not that that is a problem anyway. For the most part recognizing Americans abroad is an almost visceral thing.

1) If there are in a restaurant it is instantly obvious.
1.1)Americans talk with utensils moving (like Italians talk with their hands Americans talk with utensils)
1.2)Americans cannot use knives and forks in a united way. They pick up a fork in the left hand, knife in the right, cut something, replace the knife on the plate, move the fork to the right had and shovel in the food with the fork. That is an unmistakeable sight on Americanness.
1.3) Americans have arms and elbows all over the table.
1.4) Apart from the speech, Americans call their waiters "sir"
1.5) Their voices are almost as loud as Germans, and they say "like" a lot.

2) On the street dress is not required to know Americans. They walk unlike any other people, particularly the women who walk like men (except for actresses and people who have lived abroad for a long time)

Most of the other things, apart from the sneakers, are now ubiquitous among other tourist classes so cannot mark Americans so well. Finally,

If they are at Starbucks they are Americans or are imitating Americans, so speak English by choice. Not true for McDonalds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.