Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2020, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I try and lend to small farmers who may be less likely to default as in checking my stat's just now see a delinquency rate of under 4% in the past 5 years since I joined. Whether that rate rises over the next few months I'll wait and see but so far have no plans to hold off future Kiva loans.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
I try and lend to small farmers who may be less likely to default as in checking my stat's just now see a delinquency rate of under 4% in the past 5 years since I joined. Whether that rate rises over the next few months I'll wait and see but so far have no plans to hold off future Kiva loans.
Well... It is the 18th and the only country that repaid anything is Paraguay. At this rate I will be 100% delinquent by end of summer.
Old May 21, 2020, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by dogeatdog
Well... It is the 18th and the only country that repaid anything is Paraguay. At this rate I will be 100% delinquent by end of summer.
Sorry to hear that.

My admittedly small portfolio has seen 1 default in the 2-weeks since my last post but another half dozen in some form of repayment.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 8:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Over the past 2 months, my delinquent rate has jumped from under 5% to over 50%. This month, I received less than 30% of estimated repayment.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by sharkey
Over the past 2 months, my delinquent rate has jumped from under 5% to over 50%. This month, I received less than 30% of estimated repayment.
In May, I received less than 18% of the estimated repayments. Delinquency is now at 50%.

update for June: Same in June. Almost every loan is now delinquent.

Last edited by dogeatdog; Jun 27, 2020 at 11:47 am
Old Jul 24, 2020, 11:09 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by KRSW
We hit $8M today!!! WooHoo!!!
The team hit $8MM back in January, so it seems like it's time for another update...

As of 24 July 2020:
1,023 team members
$8,649,425 in loans funded
102,770 loans made

Way to go everyone!

(Personally, cash has gotten a bit tight during pandemic, so I've had to reduce the amount I've been loaning. But I hope to slowly increase my lending as I'm able.)
JDiver, KRSW and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 5:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
My delinquency rate stands at 7.28 %. So far two Colombian loans have ended in defaults. *knock, knock* The other one was a case I suspect the local partner mishandled and it was written off as them not being able to contact the person. Rrrright... I'm currently thus not borrowing more to Colombia, since I'm not exactly impressed.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
My delinquency rate stands at 7.28 %.
That's pretty good! Mine has come down a bit, but still over 75% delinquent. But after months of no repayments from some partners, some have just started to resume repayments this month - either because their country is now allowing money to be transferred out of the country again or procedures are now in place for them to safely resume the collection of loan repayments again.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 4:23 pm

Overall I'm at: 28.8% delinquent, 0.18% default.
Current loans are:
Total outstanding: 109
Paying Back: 71 (65.13%)
Paying Back Delinquent: 38 (34.86%)

I'm not disappointed. Still a better return than my DAL shares have been this year.

I also have pulled back substantially on my Kiva lending since all of this started. Cash is king in times of uncertainty.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I haven't looked at the email account that my KIVA account is tied to in awhile, but logged into KIVA today and saw that I had a few loans that have been repaid and funds available to lend. Other than a $0.45 currency loss, all of my loans have been repaid or are still on schedule. It's a hard time for many, a harder time for some.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:21 pm

Quite a bit delinquent still, but also got some repayments... Hope they get back on track.
JDiver and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 11:42 am

I usually post my batting average in January, but given the current world situation I figured I'd update my stats a month early. As I mentioned earlier, in times of uncertainty, cash is king and I had pulled back on my Kiva investing. These stats will reflect that. At the same time, given the current world situation and that many of my loans were to countries with absolutely draconian pandemic restrictions, I don't feel too bad about it.

Started in Dec 2015.
Amount Lent: $19,400
Amount Defaulted: $47.55 (was $22.97 in January 2020)
Amount of Currency Rate Loss: $15.64 (was $0.41 in January 2020)
Total losses: $63.19 (was $23.38 in January)
$63.19/ $18,900 = 0.0032572 or 0.326% (was 0.124% in January 2020)

US inflation for the same time period was 10%. DAL stock price for 2020 is still down 26% YTD. I'm actually up 23% YTD on DAL only due to some heavy buying when it bottomed out.

So, I've made 702 loans, got the chance to help out at least that many people, and earned ~77k UR points for $63.19. Definitely not as "profitable" as previous years, but given what's happening still a good deal.

Defaulted loans: 4 total as of Jan 2020. 6 as of Dec 2020
2015-2019:
1) Total loan was $8050 in Rwanda. $2.05 loss for me. I'm not upset about this one.

2) Total loan was $500, in the Philippines. $12.92 loss for me. Annoyed by this, but still they paid back 74% of the loan, so I can't be too upset.
3) Total loan was $900, in Ghana. $1.75 loss for me. Not upset at this.
4) Total loan was for $1,000 in Lebanon. $6.32 loss for me. Still works out to 74% paid back.

2020:
5) Total loan was for $9,000 in Ecuador. $1.54 loss for me. Arguably, the lowest loss I've had on a loan
6) Total loan was for $6,150 in Paraguay. $7.39 loss for me. Largest loss on a loan to date. Still 70% paid back.

So, easily the "worst" year I've had on Kiva, but I'm not complaining. Currency losses were the big hit this year at $15.64 and I can only blame politicians for that, not the borrowers. Fortunately all of my "old" pre-COVID loans will be fully due by February. For now I'm just making short-term (≤4 mo) loans and all of those will be due by May. Certainly putting in a lot less than I did in previous years. I've not given up on Kiva, but am certainly reading up on countries of lenders before lending. When the waters get a bit more favorable, I'll be going back in full strength.
JDiver and Flying Yazata like this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:56 am

I missed it, but we did cross the $9 million mark recently!

As of 10 December 2020:
1,044 team members
$9,123,950 in loans funded
106,283 loans made

Originally Posted by JY1024
The team hit $8MM back in January, so it seems like it's time for another update...

As of 24 July 2020:
1,023 team members
$8,649,425 in loans funded
102,770 loans made
Old Jan 17, 2021, 9:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
I almost had my first default. Got an email on Jan 12th that the last 50 cents of a loan to Tanzania had defaulted. I thought it was a little strange at the time because the final payment had only been due on Jan 1st, so it seemed awfully quick to give up hope. Well, today, that last 50 cents was paid. Maybe they meant to default a different loan and clicked the wrong button? Anyway, I'm glad to be back to 0% default, although in my mind, I've already written off the $1.55 from Lebanon that was due back in July 2019 and is still listed as delinquent.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Still just two defaults and both are Colombian ones. Other than that, still going strong. Delinquency rate: 13.67 %.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.