Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2017, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
So what's wrong with CAN with all the summer-only services?
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:01 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by nordic
It is going to be summer-seasonal so no new choice for CAN in the winter.
I didn't mean I expected an announcement for winter, but it is striking that NKG gets year round schedule from day 1 while CAN is still a seasonal route year after year. CAN is twice the size of NKG people-wise, is a base for manufacturing, has wealth beyond imagination and a decent sized expat crowd. You will also find cantonese communities all over the world.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:14 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
So what's wrong with CAN with all the summer-only services?
Either there is a political problem or Finnair is just not able to attract passengers enough, despite their decade long presence .

Doesn't really matter anymore, with CX coming to CPH, there will be an excellent CPH-HKG-CAN option. No more bags-not-checked-to-final non-sense. And if you do a stop-over you can do both HKG and CAN in one trip and enjoy proper premium lounges. QR will be a very decent second hand option to CAN. Wintertime AY is only offering 2-stop connection on obscure none-alliance partners

AY will be somewhere position 4 or 5 on the list, marginalised.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by intuition
I didn't mean I expected an announcement for winter, but it is striking that NKG gets year round schedule from day 1 while CAN is still a seasonal route year after year. CAN is twice the size of NKG people-wise, is a base for manufacturing, has wealth beyond imagination and a decent sized expat crowd. You will also find cantonese communities all over the world.
What makes NKG appealing is the giant Nanjingnan railway station connected to it by subway. After a short transit from the airport you can basically get anywhere in Eastern and Central China in a few hours at most. Even southern Beijing and western parts of Shanghai are easier to access from there compared to PEK and PVG.

Regarding CAN, when should the Kowloon bullet train terminus open? At least I am planning to switch all my Guangzhou trips to rail latest then.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by intuition
Possibly China Southern and Cathay are so strong that even Lufthansa had to end their service years ago. But what I really meant was that Cathay does not serve Copenhagen in the winter season so you are restricted to Qatar for a one-stop flight. Ofcourse, if everything goes well, CX will extend their service to the winter season.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: AY Platinum (oneworld Emerald), Bonvoy/Radisson/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ffay005
Within the 35–120 minute time frame, they do actually serve all the Nordic and Baltic capitals + TXL & GOT.

Today's schedule:
11:30 TXL
11:45 VNO
11:55 TLL
11:55 GOT
12:00 CPH
12:15 ARN
12:15 OSL
12:45 RIX
12:45 BMA

Notably, LED, SVO and WAW are missing, but I think the connections are surprisingly good.
Acutally, WAW is not missing: just like already this summer, WAW is running three daily in the summer months in 2018 and there's a HEL-WAW flight at 11:35-12:15 ^. Also, there's a code-share flight to SVO at 13:25–15:05.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:01 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by nordic
... Cathay does not serve Copenhagen in the winter season so you are restricted to Qatar for a one-stop flight....
I have missed that part, which makes me much less joyful. But there is always QR so that is good.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 5:39 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by UpperDeck87K
Acutally, WAW is not missing: just like already this summer, WAW is running three daily in the summer months in 2018 and there's a HEL-WAW flight at 11:35-12:15 ^.
Other destinations in PL for summer 2018:

GDN - 2 x daily (up from 1 x daily)
KRK - 1 x daily (up from 5 x weekly)
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:28 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by mosburger
Regarding CAN, when should the Kowloon bullet train terminus open? At least I am planning to switch all my Guangzhou trips to rail latest then.
Late 2018 is what I can gather from Google. Will ask around and see if I know anyone who has inside.

To me the construction site has looked pretty much the same since 2012 - people working every day of the week but no progress can be seen. Passed it by this weekend - looked like nowhere near completion.

But for me XRL does very little. Sure, west kowloon is easier to get to than Hung Hom, but it is no dream of mine to take the Airport express to kowloon, then the XRL to Guangzhou south. That station is really far from the city, so you then get the metro and finally a bus or a taxi. Try to get to Tianhe or GDD (GuangZhou development district) where I usually want to go.

And for me, getting in and out of CAN is less about travel time and more about getting stuff with me with least effort. Both Tianhe and GDD is serviced by direct bus from CAN. A bullet train, not starting at HKG airport and ending in a rail station far from CAN city, is not going to make HKG an airport that works well for CAN visits.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Finnair adds 4th daily flight to Berlin in March and upgauges Munich and Frankfurt.

https://company.finnair.com/en/media...ews?id=2669837
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:49 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by miikkak
Finnair adds 4th daily flight to Berlin in March and upgauges Munich and Frankfurt.
Now as AB is very obviously out of the game, AY prices between HEL and TXL have hiked up. Seems that R has disappeared totally and the cheapest available booking class is now O. I hope some other company will come and replace AB soon, as even with those additional flights AY is starting in spring, there is still 3 daily flights less than used to be, and that can be seen on prices.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
Now as AB is very obviously out of the game, AY prices between HEL and TXL have hiked up. Seems that R has disappeared totally and the cheapest available booking class is now O. I hope some other company will come and replace AB soon, as even with those additional flights AY is starting in spring, there is still 3 daily flights less than used to be, and that can be seen on prices.
We can, of course, hope that LH would come back to the route. But it won't happen before certain airport is operational. 😊
SPBanker likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by LoungeEnthusiast
We can, of course, hope that LH would come back to the route. But it won't happen before certain airport is operational. 😊
Let's keep the discussion on the current century...
SPBanker and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by LoungeEnthusiast
We can, of course, hope that LH would come back to the route. But it won't happen before certain airport is operational. ��
Why not? If AB frees 4 daily slots between TXL and HEL, and AY takes one, EW should be able to take over another one or two without problems? Why would TXL suddenly lose capacity?

With that said, if EW operates as infrequently as 4U used to, it won't push that much pressure on AY prices

I rather think DY/D8 might be waiting for BER than EW/4U/LH.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Why not? If AB frees 4 daily slots between TXL and HEL, and AY takes one, EW should be able to take over another one or two without problems? Why would TXL suddenly lose capacity?

With that said, if EW operates as infrequently as 4U used to, it won't push that much pressure on AY prices

I rather think DY/D8 might be waiting for BER than EW/4U/LH.
You are right, of course. TXL could very well handle it. I was merely just referring to the fact that when LH initially announced the Berlin-Helsinki route more than 5 (?) years ago, their marketing efforts heavily focused on the ability
to fly from the new airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.