FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:28 am
intuition
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by mosburger
Regarding CAN, when should the Kowloon bullet train terminus open? At least I am planning to switch all my Guangzhou trips to rail latest then.
Late 2018 is what I can gather from Google. Will ask around and see if I know anyone who has inside.

To me the construction site has looked pretty much the same since 2012 - people working every day of the week but no progress can be seen. Passed it by this weekend - looked like nowhere near completion.

But for me XRL does very little. Sure, west kowloon is easier to get to than Hung Hom, but it is no dream of mine to take the Airport express to kowloon, then the XRL to Guangzhou south. That station is really far from the city, so you then get the metro and finally a bus or a taxi. Try to get to Tianhe or GDD (GuangZhou development district) where I usually want to go.

And for me, getting in and out of CAN is less about travel time and more about getting stuff with me with least effort. Both Tianhe and GDD is serviced by direct bus from CAN. A bullet train, not starting at HKG airport and ending in a rail station far from CAN city, is not going to make HKG an airport that works well for CAN visits.