Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2017, 1:07 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by r2d2
According to Lentoposti it has been told at Finnair's Q1 results presentation this year.
Lentoposti is just a voluntary publication, nothing to do with an official information from Finnair.

I checked official releases from AY site and there is no schedule for narrow body orders or decisions coming in Summer 2017.

It was just Lentoposti's own story.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 4:44 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
That's a nice one (and the shortest to/from HI)! We flew HNL-ANC-KEF-HEL with a stop in ANC. People think it's crazy to fly from HI via AK to FI, but it's shorter than HNL-SFO-HEL and MUCH shorter than via East-Coast USA.

And Alaska is really lovely.
HNL-SFO-HEL... sure is theoretically possible in summer season. But are there even reasonably priced interline fares for such a route? The cheapest one-stop fares between HEL and HNL that I can find are via Japan, and they are neither cheap nor fast (long lay-overs). After that comes the dreaded CA-on-AY.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
HEL-KEF-ANC on FI (AY redemption partner!) and ANC-HNL on AK (BA & AA redemption partner!)

Yes this is three-stops, but not neccessarily longer. ANC immigration can hardly be called busy (vs SFO, LAX, etc) and FI is not bad even in the back.

HEL-SFO-HNL: you also have SJC and OAK (?) to continue from. We flew SJC-LIH on AK with BA Avios. Airport upgrade $50 to "F"
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I suppose you mean AS. And then yes, one can book HEL-SFO,OAK-HNL and back. But but but:
Originally Posted by Finnair fare rules
1 STOPOVER PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION IN THE
UNITED STATES/CANADA/MEXICO AT EUR 300.00
EACH
Ouch. It's never going to be competitive if you have 600€ penalty to start with.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, AS is the airline, AK is the state

Separate tix would be the way to go. Or redemptions.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
It was just Lentoposti's own story.
I understand Lentoposti refers to the statements given in the press conference related to the Q1 results so it's not just something they have made up by themselves. In the press conference journalists are free to ask anything and they tend to ask questions that can't be answered by just reading the published results. The whole press conference is much more public than a private interview with a single magazine. Of course Lentoposti could have misunderstood something so the information they have published is not 100% reliable.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Courmisch
But then, there would be no point having negotiated the rights with the Russian federation and the PRC, would there?

Which brings an interesting question: did they negotiate ex-RVN rights becauset they thought it'd be easier or cheaper than more ex-HEL, or because Finnair really wanted to fly nonstop ex-RVN?
You're absolutely right. I'd assume the RVN-PEK rights have to do with package tourists flocking to Lapland. So there would be genuine demand to fly from China to RVN.

It would probably be better to leave HEL-PEK unaffected and have a rotation like this:

HEL-RVN 17:00 -> 18:05
RVN-PEK 19:25 -> 07:45
PEK-RVN 09:45 -> 13:00
RVN-HEL 14:00 -> 15:05

The domestic legs would of course have their own flight numbers, and they would coincide nicely with the main Asian wave, so there would (1) be lots of planes handy at HEL to pick from, and (2) be a lot of capacity to/from RVN for Chinese and Japanese tourists. And as a (3), the HEL-RVN schedule should suit RVN-based business travel, as well, for day trips to the capital.

On the outbound, you could cater the plane at HEL for both legs and then just quickly fuel at RVN. On the inbound, you wouldn't even need to fuel at RVN.

RVN-PEK is about 200 mi shorter than HEL-PEK, which might give an advantage of maybe 15 minutes or so in flying times.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Sounds great but HEL does not really make much sense from Western Europe

FI already has a codeshare agreement with AS for the short EU-HW route. But they don't have the range to go direct, I guess But Hawaii would well within range of D8's B787 from OSL.
Actually, I believe it would make a lot of sense. For instance from Germany, the direct path to HNL would be along the Norwegian coast. It's not THAT far away from HEL, after all. A detour for sure, but a detour a lot shorter than anything via the US mainland. And only 100 miles longer than the FI route via KEF and ANC.

Moreover, it would be a one-stop connection with presumably short connecting times at HEL, as opposed to at least two stops and changes of planes, one of which would occur in the US, which is always a pain considering the potentially long lines at US immigration. And considering the high prices for Hawaii, AY should make money even if the flights are long and fuel-thirsty.

Perhaps AY could once again be serving special North Pole drinks and hand out nice North Pole certificates, like in the good old DC10-30-ER days.

The biggest obstacle here would probably be the lack of cargo.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Jainzar
The flights to mainland China are night flights. You start in the late afternoon and land in the morning.
Then I have to stand corrected. My definition of having a night flight is to actually fly during the night in the timezone you come from (as this is the time you are getting sleepy).

HEL - PVG may indeed depart in the afternoon but arrival in timezone of origin is 0:00 or 01:00am which translates into 7am or 8am Chinese time. So for me, the flight was not during the night (night actually just started) but that's just my personal view and definition.

The return flight is Chinese local time 9am with arrival early afternoon HEL time..that's neither a night flight by my view. But if you call it as to "pre-sleep" into HEL time zone and maybe pulled an all-nighter this may work...

Anyway, I guess I simply have to shift my flights away from AY metal which is unfortunate as I do appreciate the airlines quality but a good sleep of the baby (during the actual night) is better for everyone's health and one can enjoy the flight (or sleep).
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by intuition
The reason probably is the so called "banks" Finnair uses. The longhaul flights are timed together in a "bank", where almost every flight leaves HEL in one single hour in the afternoon. This is done so assure every destination they serve in Europe is well connected to every destination they serve in Asia.
Likewise, every incoming longhaul flight is timed so that they have short connections to European destinations.

This makes up one of Finnair strongest selling points - shortest travel time between many destinations.
And like you've noticed, the price to pay for this is very little wiggle room for making schedules that are perfect for every local market. If they would change departure time from Asia, then the price to pay would be longer connectino times in HEL.

When/if Finnair starts with multiple daily from several destinations then they could of course arrange for a new bank timed to fit, but this requires not only demand for 2 daily on the long haul but also many more short haul planes.

Thanks for the feedback, this does make sense. Just booked a flight PVG-HEL-AGP. Flying alone this time hence possible to take this (current time-zone day flight or as defined by other "target time-zone night flight") but the connecting time in HEL is not so sweet (neither the return from AGP at 1am to HEL).
Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Common wisdom to mitigate jet-lag is to switch to destination timezone asap (I do this when I step on the plane) Of course if you're travelling with a baby, it's easier said than done
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:25 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Some höpö pethaps, but here is an indication that Finnair marketing for the CAN route isnt working.
I just recieved a couple from Guangzhou with the plan to spend time in Sweden and Norway. They flew CAN-HKG-PEK-ZRH-CPH on CA ticket, some flights op by LX. They are the business owner who in my eyes are the perfect target for Finnair. But they had no idea they could fly a better route (and not be delayed in PEK and not lose a bag on the way!)
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well in the world of internet and search engines it shouldn't be difficult to find CAN-HEL-Eur - they stumbled upon this near-MR routing, after all.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:43 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I didn't interview them about this, but I assume they either went to a travel agent or directly to the airline they know and trust, and got what ever ticket they suggested.
Also, they might have chosen to go to HKG first with the notion that flying internationally is better done from there.
These are at least the major obstacle for Finnair to overcome. No one is unhappy with "Cheapest price" or "shortest route" but for some markets you can't get through to people with these arguments.

Last edited by intuition; Aug 8, 2017 at 7:57 am
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Yeah, AS is the airline, AK is the state
And AK is the airline code for AirAsia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.