Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2008, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by FlyingPrince22
Obviously there must be more industry in Bergen than in Strasbourg and in its neighbouring Freiburg i.B., Metz, Colmar and Basel together!
Actually (also according to www.flightforum.fi) the Bergen flight is geared towards Japanese packet tour tourists, who are circling Northern Finland and Norway, and then fly back to Japan from Bergen via Helsinki.

So, not a business destination
Old Oct 18, 2008, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Moscow

Frequencies have been reduced from 28 week to just 19 per week. Finnair has reduced 2 flights and Aeroflot 7 flights per week. This should change back to normal next spring.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Gdansk

The wording of the press release "The arrival of the winter timetable, however, sees the removal of Guangzhou and Gdansk from the route selection" and the fact that you can't find Gdansk on Finnair's online timetable suggest that Gdansk won't return next summer. I wonder how Wizzair is doing on their Turku-Gdansk route. At least Polish workers from the ship-yard in Turku and the nuclear power plant construction site in Olkiluoto should fill the planes.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Bucharest

Starting next April there will be 13 weekly flights to OTP. I am quite surprised. I wonder if Sofia will follow some day. Or is the Romanian economy so much better than that of Bulgaria?

Last edited by nordic; Jan 7, 2009 at 12:11 pm
Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by nordic
Starting next April there will be 13 weekly flights to OTP. I am quite surprised. I wonder if Sofial will follow some day. Or is the Romanian economy so much better than that of Bulgaria?
Wow, twice daily IS a lot for BUH. Good for me, as it removes the BUD transfer needs. Bad for me, as I have no reason for stopovers in BUD and only 2 segments i/o 4
Old Nov 21, 2008, 5:24 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
. Bad for me, as I have no reason for stopovers in BUD and only 2 segments i/o 4
Well, MA fares are usually lower than AY's, so that's reasoning enough to choose the detour. Financial reasoning usually works well with the corporate beancounters
Old Nov 22, 2008, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Well, MA fares are usually lower than AY's, so that's reasoning enough to choose the detour. Financial reasoning usually works well with the corporate beancounters
As long as MA is in the air...
Old Dec 17, 2008, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), SAS EBG
Originally Posted by GetAA81Back2ARN
This seems a bit strange. Starting next summer the Russian passengers will actually get a worse connection than today.

Code:
Today:
SVO-HEL-JFK: 12:55-13:40 // 14:20-15:55
JFK-HEL-SVO: 17:45-08:50 // 09:25-12:05

Summer: 
SVO-HEL-JFK: 11:45-12:30 // 14:20-15:55
JFK-HEL-SVO: 17:45-08:50 // 11:10-13:50
Added up, the travel time will increase with close to 3 hours, one segment will be operated by SU. Is this really a profitable move made by AY? On the press relase they claim that 25% of the passengers are connecting to USA.

With AA opening nonstop DMO-ORD, AY might lose some passengers that want to avoid SU and continue to earn AA/AY-miles.

By the way: have AY had a lot of misconnects on the SVO-flight to and from JFK?

Also: May this mean that AY will look into to more routes into US as the connections to SVO are better?
What happened actually with the SVO flights. I noted now that AY is back in it's original schedule with the AY flight perfectly fit in between the arrival of AY6 and departure of AY5.

Did they ever try the schedule as announced last year?
Old Jan 6, 2009, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Istanbul

There will be two additional flights next summer. These afternoon flights will be operated by embraers. Quite spartan if you ask me. They probably had to act even before they started. Now with four flights against daily flights by TK they can be succesful and maybe get some loyal connecting passengers from/to Japan even though the middle eastern carriers are hard to beat.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 3:00 pm

Programs: AY Gold
There will be two additional flights next summer. These afternoon flights will be operated by embraers. Quite spartan if you ask me.
Yes the spartan Embraers: pretty planes, bad seats... Next summer the HEL-IST must be their longest E-Jet flight (3h15min) but HEL-GVA (3h) not much behind.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Further reductions: AMS, CPH, FRA, OSL

According to AY's online timetable the night stop flights to the above mentioned cities will be cancelled: I did not check the starting dates.
BRU, ARN, CDG and LHR seem to stay in addition to MAD and LIS.

These reductions are in addition to WAW, MAN and MUC which were operated only a short period or were not even started. Sad times.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:36 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
According to AY's online timetable the night stop flights to the above mentioned cities will be cancelled: I did not check the starting dates.
BRU, ARN, CDG and LHR seem to stay in addition to MAD and LIS.

These reductions are in addition to WAW, MAN and MUC which were operated only a short period or were not even started. Sad times.
CDG? Isnīt there a heap of transfer pax from the early morning AF arrivals on that flight?
Old Jan 8, 2009, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Gnopps
CDG? Isn´t there a heap of transfer pax from the early morning AF arrivals on that flight?
Sorry, I misread these posts. It looks like the overnighter at CDG it still staying, as is stated above.

Still a 7.35 departure time makes for a lot of uncomfortably short connections from the early AF arrivals - at the huge mess known also as "CDG".

Last edited by FlyingFinn; Jan 8, 2009 at 12:19 am Reason: Misread the posts
Old Jan 8, 2009, 5:02 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by Andaman
Yes the spartan Embraers: pretty planes, bad seats... Next summer the HEL-IST must be their longest E-Jet flight (3h15min) but HEL-GVA (3h) not much behind.
The cabin staff do not like the Embraer as the front galley is freezing cold to work in. Biz pax do not like it for the same reason (front cabin is bloody cold) and for other disadvantages. Finnair top management has admitted that they have had "a lot of trouble" with this plane...
Old Jan 8, 2009, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by mosburger
The cabin staff do not like the Embraer as the front galley is freezing cold to work in. Biz pax do not like it for the same reason (front cabin is bloody cold) and for other disadvantages. Finnair top management has admitted that they have had "a lot of trouble" with this plane...
I wonder if the beancounters still love it. When it was introduced to the AY fleet there were some articles in the Finnish press dubbing it nothing short of "a miracle jet" - allowing AY to operate longish thin routes with its great fuel economics. Sure it must be an improvement over the A32x series, but is it really that effective? Not for the short domestic routes at least - judging from the number of flights shifted over to the FC ATR fleet (which admittedly are pretty much the most fuel efficient passenger planes in the whole world - apart from the A380) in the recent years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.