Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2009, 8:54 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
I wonder if the beancounters still love it. When it was introduced to the AY fleet there were some articles in the Finnish press dubbing it nothing short of "a miracle jet" - allowing AY to operate longish thin routes with its great fuel economics. Sure it must be an improvement over the A32x series, but is it really that effective?
I simply cannot understand why they didn't choose the A318, which is a full-size jet with more or less the same number of seats as the Embraers. Since the A318 is part of the A320 family, AY could use the same cockpit and cabin crews as well as maintenance, which should be a huge synergy benefit. They would basically only have one type of short-haul planes, which should make a lot of things a whole lot easier.

What benefit is there to use mini-size cramped and unreliable Brazilian toys where one cannot even sit properly (apart from row 1) that the passengers and, according to posts here, even crew very much dislike? I'm especially surprised and disappointed that they will use Embraers on the longer European flights such as IST. On a flight that long I would happily pay more for a TK ticket on a proper plane (they're surprisingly good, try them out if you go to IST!).
Old Jan 13, 2009, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
The cabin staff do not like the Embraer as the front galley is freezing cold to work in. Biz pax do not like it for the same reason (front cabin is bloody cold) and for other disadvantages. Finnair top management has admitted that they have had "a lot of trouble" with this plane...
mini-size cramped and unreliable Brazilian toys where one cannot even sit properly
I fully agree with your complaints, but all of this only due to the seat/cabin layout AY (and nobody else!) has chosen! I've recently had E70/E90 flights in business class with both AC and AM and it was really pleasant Both had comfy seats (3 abreast in C) and also no issue with cold air in the forward cabin. As far as I could see, also the Y seats were different from AY, I think they looked like the Recaro Economy seat you find often on A32x, too.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 5:16 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by ffay005
I simply cannot understand why they didn't choose the A318, which is a full-size jet with more or less the same number of seats as the Embraers. Since the A318 is part of the A320 family, AY could use the same cockpit and cabin crews as well as maintenance, which should be a huge synergy benefit. They would basically only have one type of short-haul planes, which should make a lot of things a whole lot easier.
The A318 suffers from the same problem as the B737-600: it's an arbitrarily constructed (i.e. shortened) small version from a plane that was really designed to be larger (A320/737-700/800). This results in quite bad fuel economics on a per seat basis. Pretty much the only reason why the A318 exists is the fleet commonality advantage which you pointed out - but apparently this doesn't offer enough savings vs. the increased fuel costs. The A318 has been a big failure for Airbus.

The E-jets were designed for the <100 seat market - this makes for much better fuel economics.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 7:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
The fuel efficiencies of the Embraer E-Jets becomes intuitively clear if you look at the typical empty weight:

E90: 28 metric tons
E95: 29 metric tons

A318: 39 metric tons
A319: 41 metric tons

The "Babybuses" thus carry around roughly 40 percent more!
Old Jan 16, 2009, 1:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
A Little bit OT, but Estonian Air has chosen CRJ-900 NG with 88 seats as new planes, how are comfort and fuel efficiency of these planes compared to Embraers?
Old Jan 17, 2009, 5:29 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by Richey66
A Little bit OT, but Estonian Air has chosen CRJ-900 NG with 88 seats as new planes, how are comfort and fuel efficiency of these planes compared to Embraers?
I would imagine the larger CRJs (esp. the NGs with improved engines) have quite similar economics than the E-jets. A CRJ-900 has an empty weight of around 30-32 metric tonnes (~.70K lbs).

The old CRJ-100/200s are not very efficient as 50 seats just isn't enough to achieve decent per seat economics. Maybe with a 100% load, but definitely not with your average 60-75% as often seen. That's why most airlines are trying to ditch them and use 70+ seat jets. For the sub-70 seat category the turboprops are simply superior.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 2:45 am

Yes, that's right. The E-Jets and the (NG) CRJs are competing with similar features. And - to lead this back to the topic of the thread - both can be configured by the airline in a comfy or in a not so comfy way ...

Will be intersting to see if the much smaller Estonian Air will configure theirs better than AY? Although I doubt that this would impress AY.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Somwhere on the highways and byways of the United States
Programs: WWBTNFTMTP Evangelist
Originally Posted by nordic
Starting next April there will be 13 weekly flights to OTP. I am quite surprised. I wonder if Sofia will follow some day. Or is the Romanian economy so much better than that of Bulgaria?
Yeah a bump of the thread but it keeps me from starting my own

Has HEL-OTP been cancelled? Or is it seasonal? I don't see it next May. If it's seasonal, does anyone know when the schedule will be loaded?

Thanks
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:37 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by myefre
Yeah a bump of the thread but it keeps me from starting my own

Has HEL-OTP been cancelled? Or is it seasonal? I don't see it next May. If it's seasonal, does anyone know when the schedule will be loaded?

Thanks
The last date it is scheduled to run is October 28th. It doesn't seem to have been loaded for the next summer (yet).
Old Oct 27, 2011, 2:44 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Lyon (LYS) from April 2012 is now cancelled due to commercial reasons.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Lyon (LYS) from April 2012 is now cancelled due to commercial reasons.
My guess would be an Air Berlin codeshare via either DUS or BER/TXL instead.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:38 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Flybe routes: Flybe lentää reiteillä Helsingistä Enontekiölle, Jyväskylään, Kajaaniin, Kemiin, Kittilään, Kokkolaan/Pietarsaareen, Kuusamoon, Maarianhaminaan, Poriin, Savonlinnaan, Seinäjoelle, Varkauteen Gdanskiin, Norrköping, Skellefteåhon (Kokkolan kautta), Tartoon, Trondheimiin, Tukholman Bromman lentoasemalle ja Uumajaan sekä lisäksi, Oulu–Tallinna, Seinäjoki–Kittilä, Tallinna–Tukholma (Bromma), Tampere–Kittilä, Tampere–Kuusamo, Tampere–Tallinna, Turku–Kittilä, Turku–Tallinna, Vaasa–Tallinna.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
TAY and GDN looks good on paper. However you can't do a one-dayer in TAY, as it arrives at 4 pm
Old Jan 11, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
STR + IEV will be cancelled from Feb/Mar 2012.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:16 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
STR + IEV will be cancelled from Feb/Mar 2012.
Piece by piece AY is coming down in central / eastern Europe..they don't even seem to be re-starting codesharing on the Kiev route with Ukraine International..it might be that they haven't updated their system yet as Ukraine (at least they used to) fly to KBP..anyway, sad times ones again for Finnair..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.