Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair, stop waitlisted upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: AY+ Silver, IHG Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
My experience is from last year. Bought one of these cheapo ex-FRA USA tickets, but have only asked for the upgrades of the LH flights. Both of them, HEL-SFO and LAX-HEL has cleared (LAX-HEL had instant availability, HEL-SFO was waitlisted), while FRA-HEL and HEL-FRA remains economy.
Makes it even more interesting that you were allowed to do it and for me they told it's impossible. Don't they know themselves of their protocols? Now three different data points so far on same topic.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: AY+
Also another reason why I thought this might be a bug is because for my return flight, only the LH had availability but not the short one, and in that case I could upgrade the LH flight only with no problem myself online. But when both flights have availability I have to call CS because there is no combined availability...
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Sigh, I can add datapoint of call to CS not releasing the upgrade. In total 9 J seats are taken, no availability in the tool (I still assume that all those 9 J-seats are F-fare) but "the other department" can not release the upgrade, so assuming it will stay in the waitlist at least until the T-15?
Or has anyone observed any other patterns, I called CS on Monday so has anyone got better luck of making more frequent calls? I doubt it is worthwhile to call often but clearly the waitlist is truly a waitlist even if the business class is practically empty.
I would assume there would be a sale coming soon but at this stage, only business saver and business seats are available so no campaign fare for business.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
If Finnair is so unwilling to release F seats for its SH flights, it could at least start selling affordable intra-European J fares (also one way)!

Until now those fares have been just ridiculous (especially for status pax)...
florens and esledo like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:50 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Justinus
[left]If Finnair is so unwilling to release F seats for its SH flights, it could at least start selling affordable intra-European J fares (also one way)!
They rather move the curtain forward and sell Y space than make J cheaper.
Not sure why, historically, SH J cabin was a mix of SH and LH travellers, now I wonder if there are any revenue SH J at all.
Maybe they earn more money with {KMPT} fares than with {CDIJ}.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
That curtain thing is a mystery. I've flown recently several flights, with the curtain behind row 8 or 9, but only 2-3 pax in front of the bus.

Your reasoning must be a vicious circle for AY - high J prices ergo no-one buys the tix ergo better revenue when selling same (otherwise empty due to the high J-prices) seats for any actual money in Y.
Justinus likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
That curtain thing is a mystery. I've flown recently several flights, with the curtain behind row 8 or 9, but only 2-3 pax in front of the bus.
Last year AY started to ”pack” Y class... I flew i.a. HEL-FCO. We were 5-6 pax in J, yet they had reserved at least 8 rows for J! Needless to say, there were certainly no empty seats in Y. It is hence even more amazing that AY is unwilling to release more F seats and/or sell affordable SH J tickets in Europe.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Justinus
Last year AY started to ”pack” Y class... I flew i.a. HEL-FCO. We were 5-6 pax in J, yet they had reserved at least 8 rows for J! Needless to say, there were certainly no empty seats in Y. It is hence even more amazing that AY is unwilling to release more F seats and/or sell affordable SH J tickets in Europe.
That packing boosts the occupancy rate in Y.

I would be great, if they would confirm in those cases waitlisted upgrade request latest within the last 24 hours to 12 hours before the flight so they can e.g. Adjust the catering in time.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jainzar
That packing boosts the occupancy rate in Y.
Well... previously AY left empty seats in Y, even many. With this packing a 2 or 3+ hour flight in Y must be even more horrendous.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: AY+ Silver, IHG Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Vesseli
As a "non-status 50k once-in-a-lifetime horder who doesn´t have the cash to pay for J", I don´t like the system at all.

Another funny thing about the "View availability for business class upgrade" -tool is that if you check the flights separately, the system shows space in business, but if you combine the whole while (feeder+long haul), then there is none.
I had that now for my trip to LAX. Checked the tool for FRA-HEL and HEL-LAX, both has availability separately, but FRA-HEL shows 0. Called CS and got put on a waitlist. Wife is a low silver, im non-status so going to be a nice trip with only handluggage to LAX!

I even told the CS that f*ck that feeder, there is availability for the HEL-LAX, just use 50k per person to upgrade that and I dont care about the 2,5h intra-european shorthaul. Not possible they said. Either everything or nothing. Cool.

"If you haven’t booked flights yet, check the upgrade availability for your desired route and make your booking. After that, you can request a travel class upgrade conveniently online." Yea, right. Nice and easy.

I have an update for the matter. I sent complaint through feedback form and got first denied twice but then all of a sudden they just replied "I asked another department. We have now upgraded 3 legs of your 4 . Thank you."
Best was that they answered to me that one whole flight was fully booked (in September 2019) which obviously was a lie So far no reason why 3 legs got approved but im fine with that. Last leg is a 2,5h jump so dont need the meal there.
Justinus likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I had that often on Lufthansa on flights like TXL-MUC/FRA - somebody explained to me that this is the way they keep the occupancy rate in Y high.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:09 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
AY do sell SH J, they have some quite attractive corporate deals available to those few who still put their management up front on every flight.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
AY do sell SH J...
Yeah, I know! But the fares are just ridiculous.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:52 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Apparently they are ridiculous so that they can offer a 50% discount to a few corporations. Which brings us back to the point where we realise they don't really want to sell SH J.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Would only short haul upgrade(not convertible to long haul) vouchers for Gold and long haul (convertible to short haul) vouchers for Platinum make the situation better?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.