Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium economy coming spring 2022

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:47 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by ffay005
But that one seat must be at least 16" wide, giving an additional 2+ inches per PE seat. Why would they choose to widen the aisles instead of the seats? I've never flown SK longhaul, but in review pictures, the PE seats do look wider than regular Y seats.
Yes, that is how I did my initial calculation. However seatmaps (perhaps they are wrong) says SK Y has 17,3" seats and PE 18,3", ie seats are only 1" wider each.

Perhaps PE seats requires some extra spacing between them and you probably also want to make aisles a bit wider to make the cabin feel roomier.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:50 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Ed Size
I had serval long discussions with the hotline on the last few days, they told me that the upgrade situation is very difficult in the moment, since on most of the flights there are long upgrade waitlists, the only think they could do for me, set me on top of the waitlist on a flight which is not to busy in J. They also told me the reason for this are a lot of pax now have Gold status & vouchers since they did the status match thing with AB / LH about a year ago.
Excellent information, thanks for sharing!!
(Bad news, but great to know!)
ffay005 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:56 am
R2

Originally Posted by intuition
Perhaps PE seats requires some extra spacing between them and you probably also want to make aisles a bit wider to make the cabin feel roomier.
I think this is key...it's not just the space available for your bum but also the fact that you're not sharing the armrest with your neigbour. My PE experience is limited to two flights on CX (A359 & B777) and while the overall experience was underwhelming, the seat was ok and I particularly remember having a proper 'own' armrest which is very nice indeed compared to Y.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Yes, that is how I did my initial calculation. However seatmaps (perhaps they are wrong) says SK Y has 17,3" seats and PE 18,3", ie seats are only 1" wider each.

I wonder if they measure from centre of armrest to centre of armrest, or if it's only the actual seat, the space between the armrests. If latter, then it's not really that big of a problem because there will be (should be) at least an additional 4–6" armrest room between two seats in PE.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
I don't know about SK but i've travelled a lot in PE on BA, LH and CX (and this week for the first time AA) and there is certainly a lot of width in the armrest - well over double the width of an economy armrest. One slight disadvantage is the armrests are always fixed (there is no gap under it since normally the table goes into the armrest for every seat, not just the first row). so if the cabin is empty you cannot flip up the armrests and sleep across them like in Y.
Once on a BA A380 I downgraded myself from PE to economy since I knew economy was almost empty downstairs. To their credit the crew still bought me the PE meal downstairs!
I don't know where the difference in width between A350 CX 2-4-2 and LH 2-3-2 comes from. The CX seats don't feel too narrow and the LH aisles didn't seem massive but here is one seat width different. 2-4-2 on the A350 was ok with CX in my opinion.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:36 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Can imagine the points/miles needed for an award ticket in Economy Plus will then be that of what we see for Business today for long haul (160'000) and Business will jump back to the old 200'000'ish mark and then some...
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by FFlash
The PE onboard SAS planes is close to perfect IMO. I cannot point a weak point there, if not perfect. Also point-earning wise. Also soft product service is OK. Just copy that.
I had to check if this is höpöhöpö or no

SAS PE is great for points, hard product nothing to write home about and soft product/food very ... SK.

I've flown PE with SK, AF, BA, CX, QF, JL, LH and all seats have seemed rather the same - footrest; IFE and table configuration being the dividing factors. Soft product, food, drinks - now there you have the real variation.
vulle likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by remymartin
I had to check if this is höpöhöpö or no

SAS PE is great for points, hard product nothing to write home about and soft product/food very ... SK.

I've flown PE with SK, AF, BA, CX, QF, JL, LH and all seats have seemed rather the same - footrest; IFE and table configuration being the dividing factors. Soft product, food, drinks - now there you have the real variation.
I have no experience of other carriers PE, but I found SK premium eco just great for me and well placed in differentiation, hence my comment. Obviously, there can still be better ones.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:42 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Excellent information, thanks for sharing!!
(Bad news, but great to know!)
Good news is that those status matchers will soon not be Golds, no? When did the match happen?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by SPBanker

Good news is that those status matchers will soon not be Golds, no?
It was a status challenge and they had to fly 40k points in 6 months (half points in half year). If they could do that they probably can do 80k in a year.

Last edited by lento; Nov 8, 2018 at 2:51 pm
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by SPBanker
Good news is that those status matchers will soon not be Golds, no? When did the match happen?
When AirBerlin left the Oneworld alliance (due to certain circumstances).
SPBanker likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:06 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by lento
It was a status challenge and they had to fly 40k points in 6 months (half points in half year). If they could do that they probably can do 80k in a year.
Ah! I guess some will, not all.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by lento
I don t think that many will keep the status, since you could earn status miles with the AB credit card. Also you need to have a very specific flying pattern to gain status on AY if you are based in Germany, and most of the people having that pattern (like me) have already status on AY.

Last edited by Ed Size; Nov 9, 2018 at 10:49 am
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Ed Size
No it was a match, you got the Gold status immedetly (inc. the vouchers), you need to do the challenge to keep the status.

So if one made the challenge in Nov./Dec. 2017, he could make a booking till May 2018 for the Christmas season 2018 and use the vouchers.

I don t think that many will keep the status, since you could earn status miles with the AB credit card. Also you need to have a very specific flying pattern to gain status on AY if you are based in Germany, and most of the people having that pattern (like me) have already status on AY.

I could have sworn that you only got SILVER status right away and then Gold after earning 40k
Clydez likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by kauppias
I could have sworn that you only got SILVER status right away and then Gold after earning 40k
You are right - my memory betrayed me. It was Silver but you only needed one J class flight to Asia to get Gold (maybe a little more I m not a calculator)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.