Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HEL Premium Lounge [now closed]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:32 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I am all for a a true premium experience incl. à la carte, but wonders if it will head the same way as the spa. Because waiting for food isn't really compatible with short connections.

Maybe that's the plan: Larger lounge, no new restriction on access and no increase in staffing - can only work if a vast majority of guests are so stressed they will never consider ordering from the à la carte!
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: AY LUMO
A la carte = waiting and waiting small portions

Self service puffet is the best option.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:14 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by OH-LGG

I am not big fan of a la carte dining in the lounges where I have encountered it. Noodle bars excepted.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:36 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
CX HKG the wing knows how to do it
You are immediately seated and handed menus. Drink order is taken within 1 minute. Food order not long after. I'd say you have food within 5 minutes, just a little more time than it would take to hit the "puffet".
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by OH-LGG

I disagree with you on this!

Very recent experience with a la carte dining in lounges: HKG Wing F, Pier F and LHR CX F and QF lounges. In all cases quickly seated, menu was immediately provided and drink on my table within a few minutes and food served in no more than 10 minutes (in most cases lot less).
In the above mentioned four lounges the food was great quality, delicious and beautifully presented. The presentation can never really work out with the buffet style. When it comes to portions, I guess if you know that you find them small, you can order multiple dishes to begin with (that is what I did ), though probably those are more or less the right sizes one should eat.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:30 pm
Moderator, Finnair

I think the negativity against àla carte in premium lounge is that we can't really see Finnair doing it right. They just aren't in "The wing" league. Maybe they'll surprise us.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Well, it’s not so much about Finnair but Fazer. Do we think Fazer can get it right? I think they can.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:43 pm
R2

Originally Posted by niksal
Well, it’s not so much about Finnair but Fazer. Do we think Fazer can get it right? I think they can.
Where is Fazer operating a well-functioning high standard a la carte restaurant? Aren't they more of a catering company operating buffet style lunch restaurants in business parks?

However, the main reason we won't be getting a CX style a la carte restaurant is because AY won't be spending enough to make it work. People cost is high in Finland and it takes a lot of resources both in the kitchen and waitstaff to deliver it.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK Elite
F lounge a la carte dining can be done well and efficiently - QF are masters of this.
I had a 4 course a la carte meal in Sydney yesterday, it took me 25 minutes from sitting down to standing up.
I think 2 key ingredients makes this successful. 1) limited menu - QF only have 4 items in every course to choose between, these change at least twice a year 2) seriously well staffed kitchen and enough waitstaff.
CX does this very well too.
Would be awesome if AY would try to do this, but we'll see how they go.
remymartin and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I think the connection times with AY are just too short, and the occupation not spread enough during the day for à la carte to work.

Sure if you have 1h30-2h00 connection banks several times a day, it's great. But in non-Schengen side, there is really only one big bank (afternoon) and one small (late evening).
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:45 am
Moderator, Finnair

True, but the two entities operating together? What Fazer can or cannot do is dependent on what AY can and will do. What vision will AY set up? What quality goals and controls will they have?
Maybe I am a bit cynical here, but I think the analysis is
"àla carte is expected from a premium lounge. At the same time 90% of all travellers are on a short connection and will not actually use the service. Therefore we will set up something with a good look&feel but not necessarily a fast service.

And what are they willing to pay? I end up close to this:
Originally Posted by R2
However, the main reason we won't be getting a CX style a la carte restaurant is because AY won't be spending enough to make it work. People cost is high in Finland and it takes a lot of resources both in the kitchen and waitstaff to deliver it.

Last edited by intuition; Nov 26, 2018 at 12:54 am Reason: sigh, how silly isn't it that INDENT tag looks like quote
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:06 am

Love the pessimistic attitudes! A good way not to get disappointed.

In the now closed Premium lounge, there was a person plating the food, and someone serving drinks. I don’t think the food will be any better, but maybe the meatballs are now brought to the table? Would that take maybe one additional person? Also looking at some F lounges the dining rooms aren’t that big in the end.

As for Fazer capabilities, at least in Sweden they are very appreciated lunch canteen hosts, and the meeting catering (for those ’better lunches’ in meeting rooms) they offer is very good. They also have that ”little cafe” in Kluuvi in Helsinki - quite nice I think. The food at the winter event that I am constantly referring to was also quite good, even if some of the experiments they made weren’t all to my liking. OK, that was a buffet. Still, I wouldn’t underestimate them!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:30 am
Moderator, Finnair

[left]Love the pessimistic attitudes! A good way not to get disappointed.

Hehe, maybe that is it!
Like I said, I'm hoping to get pleasantly surprised.

Technically, there is one more problem. in order to run a efficient àla carte, you need to have a (separate) reserved dining area. Taking orders, serving, cleaning all over the general area is going to take some serious walkabouts. And eating a well prepared and nicely plated meal in a lounge chair is probably not a very premium feel. But on the other hand, a separate dining area would consume some of the new seats they are getting because lounge is overcrowded.

You were at the presentation of the lounge, so I guess you have some insights? Separate area or table served in general lounge area?

( I think the answer to that also going to tell a bit about just how premium the service can be.)
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:18 am

My understanding of the presented plan at the time (read: disclaimers as things may have changed) was that there would be a separate dining area. I had a hard time understanding the floor plan, though. It was a bit like a mouse, with the tail being the dining area IIRC.

I guess we will know when it opens in February. But I guess we will read a lot of negative initial reviews, as the business lounge will then be closed for renovation, so I assume all business pax will then use the new lounge?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
In the now closed Premium lounge, there was a person plating the food, and someone serving drinks. I don’t think the food will be any better, but maybe the meatballs are now brought to the table?
As they are hiring an a la carte cook (most probably several) it sounds like they would prepare the portions to order.

But I guess we will read a lot of negative initial reviews, as the business lounge will then be closed for renovation, so I assume all business pax will then use the new lounge?
I would be surprised if it would open as the Premium Lounge right away in February. I'd guess it will be just the Business Lounge, but in the premises of the future Premium Lounge. The services and the offerings in the Premium Lounge would be brought to the premium level only after the renovation of the Business Lounge is complete.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.